< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Retired Law Enforcement Officers  (Read 2388 times)

Offline Phydoux

• Forum Member
Retired Law Enforcement Officers
« on: December 24, 2011, 12:33:02 PM »
In August of 2011 the Bellevue Police Department issued a directive that retired police officers who had been issued retired ID in the past would now be required to visit a mental health professional to take some kind of test at the city’s expense. As I understand it one retiree called for an appointment and was informed there would be a charge of $140.00.

The letter stated some change in federal law 18USC926C that required this but no one who has read the law can find this requirement. Bellevue only issues the retired ID on a yearly basis after the retiree has fired the qualification course.

For me personally, my medical records are none of government’s business. I just obtained a Nebraska CCW permit; it has less silly restrictions than the retired officer provisions

There seems to be police agencies out there that do not support retired officers CCW authorization under Public Law 108-277 and generate red tape to facilitate their own narrow view.

If any other retired officers have encountered similar interference I would be interested in hearing about it. My e-mail is rangeguys@aol.com.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: Retired Law Enforcement Officers
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 06:22:58 PM »
Officer Phydoux...........

Someone in the Bellevue Police Department seems to have developed serious expertise in handing out Professional Insults to their retired officers.

Whatta Crock!!

And--of course--nothing whatsoever in 18USC926(c) supports this requirement.

The NE CHP gives you pretty much the exact same carry coverage, but (a) you shouldn't have to do it as a Retired LEO and (b) between the CHP classes and the ap fee, your wallet is now about $250 bucks lighter.

Guess they thought morale was getting too high among the retired officers.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 09:24:28 PM »
Have them review LEOSA.....

Offline LM4202

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2011, 05:04:29 AM »
...retired police officers who had been issued retired ID in the past would now be required to visit a mental health professional to take some kind of test at the city’s expense. As I understand it one retiree called for an appointment and was informed there would be a charge of $140.00.

If the cost of the mental health evaluation is supposed to be at the city's expense, how can someone be charged $140 for it?  If the general public isn't required to undergo a mental health evaluation, I don't see why they would require it for retired officers. 

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2011, 09:25:56 AM »
Here is something I wrote in August of 2004. It might be applicable to what your writing about;

http://nebraskanews.blogspot.com/search?q=retired+peace+officers

Excerpt;

To my mind the biggest trap in this whole thing (CCCW) is that it requires officers to pay for yearly certification out of their own pocket. This would not be so bad if the now fixed income just had to shell out, say forty or fifty bucks to punch holes in some paper Saturday afternoon.

The Devil is in the details, as they say.
The Devil in all of this can be found in 926C section (c) paragraph (5) that reads; during the most recent 12-month period, has met, at the expense of the individual, the State's standards for training or qualification to carry firearms.

Yearly qualification in most if not all departments is not limited to sending 50 or a 100 rounds down range once or twice a year. There is a lot of classroom use of force training written into the yearly qualification for some states.

It has been rumored that one state is in the thought process of complying with H.R. 218 and what they have determined so far is that it will require 80 hours of training billed to the retirees at a rate of 40 dollars per hour. That is 3200 dollars a year folks.

Whether those numbers are true or not is moot, the point is if a state wants to opt out all they have to do is make it so financially prohibitive that no retired Peace Officer could afford it.

Sidearms Training Academy
La Luz, NM

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2011, 11:52:50 AM »
I feel bad for the good cops that this is happening to. I don't feel bad for the cops that had the "Only Ones" mentality for their entire career. Now they know how it feels to have their rights stepped on. A little karma coming back on them is not really a bad thing.

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2011, 04:11:02 AM »
I feel bad for the good cops that this is happening to. I don't feel bad for the cops that had the "Only Ones" mentality for their entire career. Now they know how it feels to have their rights stepped on. A little karma coming back on them is not really a bad thing.

Problem is those only ones probably dont give a rats ass one way or the other about guns and carrying them. To them it was just part of the job. They likely have no interest in this regard, until something does happen to them or a loved one.

Offline Phydoux

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2011, 04:52:30 AM »
We all realize there are activist judges in the federal courts that try to make their own laws. There are activist cops out there that have listened to the propaganda and don’t believe in our right to protect ourselves. The advantage to the retired officer authorization is that it is good nation wide. The disadvantage is that the law hints that one can only carry what they qualified with in the past 12 months. I hear that Broomfield CO PD charges it’s retired officers $113.00 fee each year for use of the facility.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2011, 07:13:15 AM »

Don't these LEOs have some kind of union, collective bargaining, benevolent protective association, other kind of clout??

To keep retirees from being screwed this way and other ways??????

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2011, 10:02:20 AM »
Don't let this degrade into a LEO bashing thread !
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Phydoux

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 04:33:46 AM »
Some of us have sort of been spluttering about silly policies of some few law enforcement agencies. Just to set the record straight the vast majority of men and women in uniform these days have mountains of respect for we old timers who served in rural areas where a call for backup required someone to get out of bed to come help. Most of us spent a good portion of our career without portable radios so when we were away from the cruiser no one knew our status until we reported back in. I worked in a town in the early 60s where the local telephone operators turned a light on that was mounted on a building down town when they wanted us to call in. It was a few years later before a 24/7 dispatcher was hired and the budget was $1.00 an hour times the number of hours in a year. Lets not confuse silly policies dreamed up by badgeacrates with the real cops that are taking care of business for us on the streets every day. Just remember, professional people thank these good folks for their service, the bottom feeders among us make dumb ass comments about police service.

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 09:59:21 AM »
Just to set the record straight the vast majority of men and women in uniform these days have mountains of respect for we old timers who served in rural areas

And therein lies the problem - they don't have respect for EVERYONE - just the good old boy network aka "the Only Ones".