General Categories > Non Gun Stuff

Don't touch the merchandise?

<< < (2/3) > >>

SBarry:
I'm like Rick, too many people want to touch the guns and have no interest in buying them.

Now, here is a great reason I have signs on the table, that say "Please ask before handling the guns." How many times have you been in a gun show restroom, and a guy walks out of the crapper and straight out the door? Happens almost every time I'm in there. That is also why I don't shake hands with people very often. And the urinal situation is no different. Now what did he just touch with his hands, and then he touches your guns. He may as well stick the gun in his pants directly and give it a good cheese coating.

Still want to touch every gun? I only handle something if I truly want to check it over and BUY it.(Then I go wash my hands.)

Also, people are not careful, and drop them, dinging them up, which lessens their value greatly. That is money out of my pocket, and I take it seriously. I have nice guns on the table and want to keep them that way. 

y0diggity:
I get it, I really do. From your side, you deal with those types of people all day so it probably gets frustrating for you. I can definitely understand your concern of people dropping or damaging your items. That would be a huge cause for alarm for me as well.
I guess I didn't really think about that, since I'm not prone to doing such things. I thank you all, it does make a bit more sense to me now. I still rarely ask before handling merchandise on a table without signs, etc, simply because I really don't think about it. Not out of disrespect, but as I said, I'm a consumer and when I'm interested in buying stuff I play with it. I do the same at any dealership, vendor, store, etc. I guess it doesn't really get to me much because I know that there are not many things that I'll be handling that I couldn't afford to buy if I wanted to. Sometimes I'm surprised though; I once picked up a Class III weapon unknowingly and looked at the price and almost sh*t myself. I put it down quickly. If there's NO WAY I could pay for it, then I definitely don't mess with it.
Perhaps in the future, I'll try asking the vendors out of ettiquette. I guess it seems odd to me. :) I'll start wearing a shirt that says "I brought more than $7 for jerky" :D

metaldoc:
Asking first is a matter of respect.  We gun owners need to continually do our best to present an image of responsibility and our behavior at gun shows is part of that.

A parallel is the Oshkosh Fly-in in Wisconsin.  It is noted for the cleanliness of the grounds and the politeness of the attendees.  If someone is so foolish as to throw a gum wrapper on the ground, one or more guests will be immediately picking it up and disposing of it properly. 

It would be nice if the same was said of gun owners in general.

y0diggity:
I totally understand this at an actual "show". For example a car show; I go to them because I love to show off my Camaro. At a car show, the first rule is "Don't touch my f*in' car" and the second rule is "See rule #1". But there's a fundamental difference there because at a car show, people aren't selling the cars. They're only there to "show". Whereas at a gun "show" people are there to sell the stuff they brought. I'm only discussing this to bring opinions, not because I necessarily disagree with any of you. I can see where your frustration would come from, but like I said, you're there to sell your stuff. I don't know that we should treat the items any different than any other items EXCEPT for the fact that they need to be handled properly, as any firearm should be. If handling it is likely to cause damage to it, then certainly keep that item out of reach, but if it's not, let people check it out. It will make things sell better. I don't think that theft should be too big of a concern at a gun show, is it? I mean, if I saw someone pocketing something at a gun show, I'd bring that to the attention of everyone in the vicinity. Not to mention, stealing in an environment where a large number of people are most likely armed doesn't seem like a bright idea to me.
Thoughts?

sparky:

--- Quote from: y0diggity on October 06, 2011, 11:04:29 AM ---I totally understand this at an actual "show". For example a car show; I go to them because I love to show off my Camaro. At a car show, the first rule is "Don't touch my f*in' car" and the second rule is "See rule #1". But there's a fundamental difference there because at a car show, people aren't selling the cars. They're only there to "show". Whereas at a gun "show" people are there to sell the stuff they brought. I'm only discussing this to bring opinions, not because I necessarily disagree with any of you. I can see where your frustration would come from, but like I said, you're there to sell your stuff. I don't know that we should treat the items any different than any other items EXCEPT for the fact that they need to be handled properly, as any firearm should be. If handling it is likely to cause damage to it, then certainly keep that item out of reach, but if it's not, let people check it out. It will make things sell better. I don't think that theft should be too big of a concern at a gun show, is it? I mean, if I saw someone pocketing something at a gun show, I'd bring that to the attention of everyone in the vicinity. Not to mention, stealing in an environment where a large number of people are most likely armed doesn't seem like a bright idea to me.
Thoughts?

--- End quote ---
I understand your what your saying but also at most car shows half of them also have for sale signs in the windows, does that then allow anyone to paw their cars.  Even in many gun shops the guns are behind the counter and you must ask to handle one.  Like I said I understand where you are coming from but I was raised that you always ask if it isn't yours (unless in a retail setting with displays like wal-mart).  Just my 2 cents

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version