< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: I gotta say...I WANT:)  (Read 3143 times)

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
I gotta say...I WANT:)
« on: October 17, 2011, 08:20:20 PM »
buddy from up north showed me one of these about a week ago, managed to track them to this company in Yankton, SD.

http://www.flippincritters.com/Video

Man, these look like fun:)  Only downside is that no one around here sells them.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline Bill

• NFOA Full Member
Re: I gotta say...I WANT:)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 08:37:49 PM »
I've shot some targets like these and they are fun.  Just don't use the center-fire rifle on them.   :o

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 08:49:00 PM »
You can get these(or copies, I guess) at most gun shows in Nebraska.  Been around for 2-3 years or so.

I have one for rimfire, works well.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 09:52:14 PM »
I've seen them plenty and almost buy them, but then the cheapskate in me says, oh I can build one cheaper than that. Alas, I still don't have any.  Next time I'll get one.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline metaldoc

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 10:32:21 PM »
There were all different sizes at the GI gun show this summer with different thicknesses for higher  powered applications.    Like NE Bull, I figured I'd build my own.   Did find this drawing for anyone interested...

Offline metaldoc

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 09:53:34 PM »
I drew this up full scale and saved it to a pdf. file which should print out full size.   Just print it out, cut it out, lay it on some 1/4" plate steel, cut that out, weld two together and you're set. 

OR if you have know someone with a programmable plasma cutting table you could have them whip you out a bunch!

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 01:21:06 PM »
Just had lunch with a friend of mine. He says that he had a few of these made back in the spring for about $20.00 each. Included the cost of the steel, plasma cut, and welding.

If anyone is interested in a "Group Buy", I could have him check it out again. The cost of the steel is the unknown at this time.
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 06:23:35 PM »
I drew this up full scale and saved it to a pdf. file which should print out full size.   Just print it out, cut it out, lay it on some 1/4" plate steel, cut that out, weld two together and you're set. 

OR if you have know someone with a programmable plasma cutting table you could have them whip you out a bunch!

It was all going great until it said it was designed for .22, (Depression-ville).

But one that will work for my .40, now that would be worth buying!

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline metaldoc

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 06:58:13 PM »

But one that will work for my .40, now that would be worth buying!

Ron

These can be scaled up easily and thicker material used.  I've seen 'em with circles up to 5" and 1/2" thick.

I'm checking out prices for getting some cut too. 

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 07:13:36 PM »
These can be scaled up easily and thicker material used.  I've seen 'em with circles up to 5" and 1/2" thick.

I'm checking out prices for getting some cut too. 

Please sir, please, let us know what you find out.  I can weld, but I have not the equipment to either cut metal nor weld it.  That and its been like 30 years since I last held an arc welder in my hand. 

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 08:13:03 PM »
I'll throw this out there, If someone can get the price below $20, like 10 or 15, I would order quite a few for Christams presents.  Like Ron, I could build em I just dont really have access to the equipment anymore.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline metaldoc

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 10:54:49 PM »
At first guesstimate, it's looking like the cut pieces w/o welding will run less than $12/pr... one target. 

Welding these amounts to running two short beads after slipping the two halves together.   

We're going to do a trial run soon to see how well the pieces nest to reduce waste and how long it actually takes to cut out a given number.   I'll post the results and we can go from there.

Offline gsd

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 12:31:02 AM »
you have a standing order for two targets, pre weld.:)

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 06:58:38 AM »
Just so you guys know, the website for Flippin Critters does say it's "Patent Pending."

Offline metaldoc

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2011, 09:12:42 AM »
Just so you guys know, the website for Flippin Critters does say it's "Patent Pending."

Interesting... these things are being made and marketed by several different mfgs.   Maybe because these guys added critter silhouettes, they are seeking a patent based on that aspect.  It also wouldn't be the first time somebody went after a patent for something on the market someone else thought of.  I've also seen that term used in advertising just to discourage competitors.

Bears checking out though... thanks for catching that.

Offline metaldoc

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2011, 10:21:30 AM »
Been doing some research on the patent thing and it does look like this guy is seeking a patent on something that's been out there for a while made by others who just didn't go after a patent.

Found this on ebay...

These targets are for a 22lr only and should be shot at 30+ yards following all firearm safety rules. As you shoot the 2 1/2" circle the target will walk back one step bringing up the next circle.  I have been making and selling these targets for years and have never had a complaint, everyone seems to enjoy them.

This auction is for the 2 pcs. to make 1 target. the picture of the red, white and blue target is to show the completed target. They require 2 simple welds 1 1/4" long and I will include a free welding jig on orders of 8 or more.

See my other auctions to buy the completed 22lr target.

I also make targets for 9mm and 40S&W- 45acp handguns just contact me and I will get you the info. The cost is $40 for the 9mm and $50 for the 40S&W-45acp plus shipping. These are the right size and weight to walk consistently (about 12 lbs for the larger ones with a 4 1/2" circle).

Flat rate 10.95 shipping on as many as you want, order all 25 and shipping is still just 10.95. If you want just one target contact me and I will make a listing for 1 target with $4.95 flat rate shipping.

Thank You for your interest in my targets

Here's the link to the auction...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JACK-SHOT-STEEL-TARGET-ORIGINAL-unwelded-unpainted-ruger-10-22-22lr-/190582931898?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5fa0c1ba

He's asking $15 shipping for an unwelded pair and flat rate shipping for as many as you want.   

That may be a pretty hard deal to beat, but I'll still see what I can come up with.

BTW... this guy is located in Ewing NE.   Maybe someone out there needs to contact him about joining the NFOA.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2011, 10:28:18 AM »
His may be the ones that I see at the guns shows around here all the time. 
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2011, 08:05:41 PM »
I am a dealer for these. Shipping is the killer.  They make them rated for .22lr, 9mm, with larger orders available in centerfire rifle calibers available.  I have only a couple left that I am not shooting myself.  I can get an order of these in quantity not onesies or twosies and get them to omaha area on my schedule to some central drop off.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline metaldoc

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2011, 12:35:04 PM »
Well, since David Hineline is a dealer for these and also because another man in Nebraska is making his version for a reasonable price,  I am not going to pursue this any further.   

My plan was to offer members an opportunity to save some some money on these, a group buy so to speak, but out of respect for the guys in business for these targets, I will defer to them.

Offline gsd

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2011, 01:27:30 PM »
a guy in elkhorn has them for sale as well, i have managed to find.  He gets $25 a peice, and being just the other side of Omaha i might just drive up and get a couple.