< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: i want to bring in allot of firearms from california.  (Read 3911 times)

Offline dark 45

• Forum Member
Re: i want to bring in allot of firearms from california.
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2011, 12:43:36 AM »
i have paranoia with weapon law as well...
Isn't it sad it's so difficult for two law-abiding citizens to transfer legal private property?  There are a bunch of good suggestions here on how to make sure you do it correctly and don't get sideways with Fed, CA, or NE law.  Good luck.

well i know ca law rather well as owning a single bolt action requires you to at least be a law student. it is crazy for a simple hand down and change of names there needs to be extensive paper work per firearm. make, model, barrel length, sr. num, even the finish of the firearm.

Regarding the "high capacity" magazine comment, I get your sarcasm regarding 30-rounders, but the reason I bring it up is because it emphasizes that words are important.  I've studied anti-gun rights propaganda for years and testified at numerous public hearings against people who want to take away our right to self defense.  That's one of the terms they love to use - you know that well from living outside the US, in California.   :laugh:  You see, they have made up words that have no real meaning but serve the purpose of confusing the general public and making those people unfamiliar with firearms scared of guns.  If we use the words from anti-gun rights activists, then we give their nonsense words legitimacy and further confuse or scare people unfamiliar with guns. 

i understand full well the tactics used to scare people into thinking my AR15 is a 240b. i don;t know how many times i have taken my ar out and people mention "you must must be a cop to have a machine-gun like that." i shutter and explain.

Consider anti-gun rights definitions vs public perception for terms they've successfully mainstreamed:
"high capacity magazine" - Anti-gun rights activists consider this a magazine that can hold 11 or more rounds, while the general public envisions belt/box-fed Rambo guns.  It's easy to get their restrictive magazine laws passed when the public is scared of Rambo militiamen running around on the streets.  And if we accept this limitation, then the next limitation will be 6, "because a revolver only holds 6 rounds and why would anybody other than murdering criminals need more than 6 rounds at a time?"  And then they'll reduce it again once the maximum of 6 rounds limitation is mainstreamed.  I can already imagine the Brady press conferences.

"assault weapon" - I hate this term.  The Brady Campaign invented this term in the early 90s to push the Federal Assault Weapons Ban.  Anti-gun activists define these as scary, black, semi-auto rifles (with a shoulder thingy that goes up).  The problem is that the term sounds a lot like "assault rifles", which by definition are full-auto machine guns.  It's pretty easy to confuse the public and scare the Average Joe into thinking an "assault weapon" is a machine gun (again with Rambo in the street images) and convince him to vote semi-auto rifles illegal (or vote for politicians who will).  And that's exactly the reason the Brady Campaign came up with that term: to create confusion.  Hell, look at this thread and count how many times "assault weapon" and "assault rifle" were used interchangeably.  And we're the gun guys! 

i wouldn't say "made" the word up, as i would say changed definition to include anything that isn't a revolver. then again they try and make it seem a firearm is only a offensive weapon.

"offensive firearm' - The anti-gun rights activists came up with this to scare the public.  Offensive sounds aggressive and if they are able to categorize guns under this term and mainstream it, I imagine they'll easily get that list banned from private ownership - at least in the less-free states. 

and the argument then needs to be "why are are law officers armed, to shoot anyone with a traffic infraction?"

There are many more terms the anti-gun rights activists want to mainstream - just spend 10 minutes on one of their websites or flipping through one of their books.  Words matter.  We've got a hard enough uphill battle educating the public on firearms, so let's work together and not help the anti-rights groups by making their nonsense words mainstream. 

so what to reference high capacity mags, drum mags have just as "scary" contentions as high capacity magazine. if we are going to go so far as to change the way we speak, we should change the term "standard round magazine" because that would imply there are  low capacity, normal, and high capacity mags. guess what they are going say the only kind we need? the low capacity of as you say 6 rounds.

back on topic of the transferring of these weapons. i would rather not go so far as divulge such information to a government agency, and is probably only going to need to be done to figure out the firearms registered as "assault weapons". that should only be needed for California because as i said after crossing the state line into Nevada they turn into regular riffles and California is happy to see them go. most of California laws are for the firearms remaining in the state, or bringing weapons in. i am more interested in what to do bringing them here to remain in this state. anyone know of a good ffl near Lincoln who could do the transfer, if i go that rout? also i would imagine i would need to get the licence to buy a handgun to have them transferred to me here correct? what about if i bring them in before i become a resident?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 12:47:30 AM by dark 45 »

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2011, 07:16:10 AM »
I'm glad we're going to have you on our team, here in Nebraska.  It is California's loss, however.  They seem to need more people there that think like you do.

There is a handgun purchase permit here in Nebraska.  You won't need it right away unless you establish residency here before you take possession of the handguns and end up transfering them through an FFL.  It is also not needed to receive a handgun from a close relative within the state.  And, if you get a CCW permit here in Nebraska, that doubles as a purchase permit as well.

Rob and Hope of http://www.exeter-arms.com/ just got their gun shop opened in Exeter, NE last weekend.  They are pretty close to Friend and Rob should be able to help you with any transfers you may need.  He does class 3 weapons too.   ;D
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline dark 45

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2011, 01:18:18 AM »
I'm glad we're going to have you on our team, here in Nebraska.  It is California's loss, however.  They seem to need more people there that think like you do.

i was apart of calguns which leads the tip of the arrow of all California fire arms fight, their uoc issues and all, we made allot of head way until brown hit back with the laws he recently signed, i am sure it won't take long until  they get the uoc issue resolved as we did with the ammo laws passed the year before. i can't say i miss the fight in California to much, the only reason i do is because it spreads across the us such as new york and so on. people sight California laws all the time. i believe California to be the front lines of the whole issue. they need all the help they can get, especially after these recent laws. we where working on the handgun roster last i was there who knows where they are at now. they over burden their funds and people with so many issues to take on at once. cal guns in its self is the secondary nra of California.

There is a handgun purchase permit here in Nebraska.  You won't need it right away unless you establish residency here before you take possession of the handguns and end up transfering them through an FFL.  It is also not needed to receive a handgun from a close relative within the state.  And, if you get a CCW permit here in Nebraska, that doubles as a purchase permit as well.

how dose one go about getting the perches permit? in California you just go into the local ffl and take the test then it is issued.

Rob and Hope of http://www.exeter-arms.com/ just got their gun shop opened in Exeter, NE last weekend.  They are pretty close to Friend and Rob should be able to help you with any transfers you may need.  He does class 3 weapons too.   ;D

i will defiantly look into exeter arms, thanks. haha class 3, i have no idea how to go about that, as even mentioning class 3 in California or newyork is like talking about unicorns and Leprechauns.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 02:53:33 AM by dark 45 »

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2011, 09:33:09 AM »
There is not test for the purchase permit.  You fill out a simple form similar to a 4473, and pay a small fee.  The document is good for three years and, while not needed for a long gun purchase, if you have one (or a CCW permit) the NICS check is waived.  I actually prefer the purchase permit to needing a NICS check every time I deal with a FFL holder.

You apply through your county sheriff and it is a shall issue permit with three day turn-around.

Offline dark 45

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2011, 11:13:19 PM »
There is not test for the purchase permit.  You fill out a simple form similar to a 4473, and pay a small fee.  The document is good for three years and, while not needed for a long gun purchase, if you have one (or a CCW permit) the NICS check is waived.  I actually prefer the purchase permit to needing a NICS check every time I deal with a FFL holder.

You apply through your county sheriff and it is a shall issue permit with three day turn-around.

oh defiantly worth it then, as i too would rather not have a NICS check.

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2011, 11:12:57 PM »
One can buy long guns out of state of residency if the gun are legal for the person to own in their state of residency.  So in regards to handguns and CA banned firearms no FFL dealer is going to be able to transfer anything to you that is controlled in CA.

Not familiar with CA laws, if a registered DOJ AW can be sold in state then those CA registered weapons in that state where once removed from the state they would then be worth regular price since you could buy the same thing new.  So money wise it might be better to sell in CA take the cash value and buy new better guns out of CA.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline omaharj

• social catalyst
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2011, 04:23:03 AM »

oh defiantly worth it then, as i too would rather not have a NICS check.
Just to clarify,I believe the permit purchase IS a one time NICS check. I think the states don't HAVE to go through the FBI,but the level of background check is mandated and most states just go through NICS. Anybody know 100% the facts on the Ne purchase permit?  RJ

Offline dark 45

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2011, 10:54:39 AM »
you are pretty close, i can't even take the ca aw out for a day at the range let alone sell them, nor can my father sell them. its a get them out of the state or destroy them kind of thing. the handguns from my father fall under different laws since he is family and second it is also a private transfer.

as far as the check goes, i just prefer quick easy and less info being thrown around. doesn't matter.

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2011, 10:48:56 PM »
cut and paste from CA DOJ website.

7.I have a registered assault weapon. If I travel outside of California with the firearm, can I bring the firearm back into California?
I have a registered assault weapon. If I travel outside of California with the firearm, can I bring the firearm back into California?
Yes, as a long as it is transported in accordance with Penal Code sections 12285 and 12026.1. These sections of law may be accessed on the DOJ Bureau of Firearms Website's Online Dangerous Weapons Control Laws.

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2011, 10:51:47 PM »
12.Can I inherit and keep a registered assault weapon?
No. Pursuant to California Penal Code section 12285(b), any person who obtains title to a registered assault weapon by bequest or intestate succession shall, within 90 days, render the weapon permanently inoperable, sell the weapon to a licensed gun dealer who has a permit from the Department of Justice to purchase assault weapons, obtain a permit from the Department of Justice to possess assault weapons, or remove the weapon from this state.

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2011, 10:52:58 PM »
15.I do not want to keep my assault weapon. What do I do?
If you have an unregistered assault weapon, you must relinquish it to law enforcement.

If you have a registered assault weapon that you no longer want to keep, you have three options:

a.Sell the weapon to a licensed gun dealer who has an assault weapons permit; or
b.Make arrangements with your local police or sheriff's office to relinquish your assault weapon. CALL FIRST. DO NOT GO TO THE POLICE OR SHERIFF'S OFFICE WITHOUT FIRST MAKING ARRANGEMENTS; or
c.Remove the weapon from this state.

Offline dark 45

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2011, 08:19:24 PM »
i am taking them out of the state, to Nebraska.