< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Wal-Mart Is Going Back to the Way it Used To Be!  (Read 1493 times)

Offline y0diggity

• Powder Benefactor
Wal-Mart Is Going Back to the Way it Used To Be!
« on: November 07, 2011, 09:53:24 AM »
Wal-Mart has started carrying AR-15's (M4) and the Judge Rifles. I've heard that they may be looking at bringing back handgun sales as well.
They have an M4 currently for $897 by Bushmaster and another that I didn't look too closely at that's camouflage and by another manufacturer for $997.
Have you guys seen these at your local stores?
I was checking the Bushy out at ours (Scottsbluff) but we don't have the other one. I saw the Camo one in Cheyenne yesterday.

What do you guys think? I'm personally excited about it. The more the merrier.
That which does not kill us was not trained properly.

Offline metaldoc

• Powder Benefactor
Re: Wal-Mart Is Going Back to the Way it Used To Be!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 11:14:39 AM »
The positive side I see to it is to make firearms more "acceptable" and commonplace in the mind of the public.  As firearms disappeared from first the hardware stores and department stores (like Sears), it also carried the connotation that guns must be bad.  So, yeah, I'm glad to see Wally World stocking them again, even if it is only for the profit line.

On the flip side, I prefer to buy from the mom & pop gunshops.  They are the ones that stuck it out when Wally pulled the guns and deserve our support to help keep 'em in business.  It's also been rare when I can't find as good or better deal at an independent gun shop as I can find at Wal-mart.   In most case the independent owners also offer better service and more knowledge.   

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 12:00:28 PM »
I doubt the Lincoln locations will be stocking up anytime soon.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 02:50:14 PM »
No firearms are sold at any of the Omaha metro area Walmarts that I am aware of. 
The whole sporting goods sections are half the size of what they used to be.   :(
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 05:59:42 PM »
I think the new Gretna store sells boomsticks.

Offline LM4202

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 09:23:13 PM »
Seems like so long ago that Wal Mart used to sell firearms.  The Bellevue Wal Mart doesn't sell them.  At least the BX at Offutt sells them now, even if the selection is a little small and very little accessories are sold.  But at least the Army Air Force Exchange Service gets it.

Offline y0diggity

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 09:42:58 PM »
It's odd to me that you guys keep talking about Wal-Mart starting to sell guns "again". I can't remember a time when our Wal-Mart didn't sell guns. Here in Scottsbluff and Sidney, there's always been guns in the local Wally World. The AR's are new products, but they've ALWAYS carried rifles and shotguns. Is it just in Omaha/Lincoln that this is happening?

Offline LM4202

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 10:15:28 PM »
It's odd to me that you guys keep talking about Wal-Mart starting to sell guns "again". I can't remember a time when our Wal-Mart didn't sell guns. Here in Scottsbluff and Sidney, there's always been guns in the local Wally World. The AR's are new products, but they've ALWAYS carried rifles and shotguns. Is it just in Omaha/Lincoln that this is happening?

Possibly.  But when I was stationed at Peterson AFB in Colorado Springs back in 2006-2007, the Wal Marts there didn't sell firearms either.

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 04:13:54 AM »

The Omaha metro stores used to carry long guns but then a few years back they announced that they would stop selling guns nationally in several of the stores (mostly urban) because the cost for maintenance and stocking fees were to high in relation to the demand. So alot of WalMarts across the nation stopped selling firearms. I know the WalMart in Council Bluffs, IA just over the river never stopped selling em.

Personally i think its a good thing because WalMart would only take away business from the small gun stores that actually believe in the 2nd Amendment. I'm afraid they would monopolize  the market with their cheaper prices and then once they ran every body out they stop offering them because of some economic woe of theirs.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 07:03:49 AM »
I get everything I need through ATFMart. 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline y0diggity

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 09:22:00 AM »
The local shops here in Scottsbluff are part of the "good ol' boy network". If you're not part of their circle, then the prices they offer you are going to be ridiculous. I get the best prices at Cabela's, seriously. I went to one of my local shops before I made my most recent purchase and they wanted to charge me $100 more for the same gun. They wouldn't come down off the price either. I'd love to support my local shops, but I have to support my family too. I don't mind paying a bit more, really I don't, but I'm not going to let you take me for $100. If they would at least try to offer me a reasonable price, I'd be more than happy to deal with them, but they don't and I don't think that's fair. Meanwhile, I know others who go into the same stores and walk out with awesome deals! How's that working?
I've not bought any guns from Wal-Mart and I don't know if I ever will, but I like the thought that they make it even more accessible AND acceptable by stocking them.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 09:25:36 AM by y0diggity »

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 03:44:50 PM »
No firearms are sold at any of the Omaha metro area Walmarts that I am aware of. 

Bellevue is "Metro-Omaha area" and they have had guns, ammo, cleaning supplies, etc, since they opened.

Now you are aware of it.  ;D

Seriously, Walmart stocks what sells.  I know some of them sell handloading supplies...... if an item isn't moving, they'll stop stocking it, and use the space for something that will move.

You want your local WallyWorld to stock guns? Ask for them.  Then buy them when they come in.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 04:45:34 PM »
The fella that usually works in the south Lincoln Walmart (hiway 2) is actually very knowledgeable about his firearms. (well yes, I did slip him a card and invite him ;) ) The 84th street Walmart (we call it yuppy-mart) only sells ammo and accessories.  27th street sells long guns and blackpowder, but the associates there are a little  questionable when it comes to knowledge.  Price-wise, I have noticed they are usually in line with good local shops. 
β€œIt is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 07:52:15 AM »
The thing I hate about buying stuff at walmart is trying to get anyone there to help you.  The only one I ever have luck with is when the older gentleman at the south Lincoln store is working.  He's pretty helpful.  Otherwise you have to track down someone to unlock the ammo cabinet, and good luck finding anyone who can do that.

It's good that black guns are acceptable enough that Walmart sells them, but when I can I prefer to support real gun stores.