< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Living Trust  (Read 2098 times)

Offline Roper

• Powder Benefactor
Living Trust
« on: October 27, 2011, 08:34:44 PM »
What is the reason why people place their firearms in a living trust?
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty.
Ronald Reagan

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Re: Living Trust
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 08:45:48 PM »
For class 3 weapons: it's a way to obtain them without getting the local LEO to sign off on the purchase.  Needed in some locations with anti-gun sheriffs such as Lancaster county(from what I hear).  I'm pretty sure there are at least a couple guys here that have had to go that route.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline justsomeguy

• Defender of the Constitution
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 08:53:22 PM »
It also gives specific instructions on how to deal with those items in the event of your death and allows other people to possses them in your absence.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are." - Marcus Aurelius

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 09:42:33 PM »
Both, for me.  The COP in Lincoln refuses to sign off on NFA items, so a trust was my only option.  It also specifies what will happen with my items in the event of my wife or's I's death.  I don't have my non-NFA items in the trust but I've considered it for that reason.

Another advantage if you have NFA items is that it allows all trustees to have physical possession of the items.  My wife can take the SBR out shooting without me, since she's a trustee - if I had a stamp only in my name she couldn't.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 09:45:37 PM by bkoenig »

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 09:43:22 PM »
another thing to go along with living trusts.... since it bypasses, the CLEO sign off, you can start the process (aka wait) sooner.  it is quicker (and cheaper) because you won't have to wait (or pay) for the local CLEO to do a background check and charge for fingerprints or get a picture taken all of which needs to be included with the forms went you send it off to the ATF.  its just better.

ETA:  make sure you name it something than mine.  mine is First Last Revocable Living Trust.  name it something like Last Name Family Trust.  shorter and easier to engrave.  :)
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Roper

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 07:58:07 PM »
Thank you all for the information, gives me some things to think about.
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty.
Ronald Reagan

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 08:29:42 AM »
I just got an idea.  Could a gun club set up a trust for holding class 3 items?  The "club" could be the beneficiary and the individual members would be the trustees.  This way, any member could use the weapons at the club, but the weapons would be held for the benefit of the organization.  I think this would be a neat way for a small group (I'm thinking 3-5 max) of like-minded folks to have access to and shoot class 3 weapons while minimizing the hassle.

Offline dark 45

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 10:45:30 AM »
I just got an idea.  Could a gun club set up a trust for holding class 3 items?  The "club" could be the beneficiary and the individual members would be the trustees.  This way, any member could use the weapons at the club, but the weapons would be held for the benefit of the organization.  I think this would be a neat way for a small group (I'm thinking 3-5 max) of like-minded folks to have access to and shoot class 3 weapons while minimizing the hassle.

i was thinking the same thing, but doesn't have to be a LLC. or a CORP, something along those lines? it would be grate to do so otherwise.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 11:33:10 AM »
i would ask a laywer.  they would know for sure.

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 07:44:16 PM »
I am a lawyer, I just don't know the ins and outs of all the class 3 laws.  I know there are requirements for the trusts that the BATFE has, I've just never researched them.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 08:15:38 PM »
personally, i would keep the trust as a family or personal thing.  i think it makes it simpler, but YMMV and i don't like to share.    :P

and you can use LLC or Corps, but isn't there a yearly fee?  with a trust, there is no yearly fee or tax.

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 12:30:27 PM »
another thing to go along with living trusts.... since it bypasses, the CLEO sign off, you can start the process (aka wait) sooner.  it is quicker (and cheaper) because you won't have to wait (or pay) for the local CLEO to do a background check and charge for fingerprints or get a picture taken all of which needs to be included with the forms went you send it off to the ATF.  its just better.

ETA:  make sure you name it something than mine.  mine is First Last Revocable Living Trust.  name it something like Last Name Family Trust.  shorter and easier to engrave.  :)

True- and FYI it can be even more simple.  I simply used my 3 initials and trust like this: "XYZ Trust"
Much easier to engrave and type.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2011, 01:26:52 PM »

I would want to think more about whether such an arrangement could potentially get tripped up by the merger doctrine (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merger_doctrine_(trust_law)).