< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: US House Approves Reciprocity Between States  (Read 831 times)

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
US House Approves Reciprocity Between States
« on: November 17, 2011, 10:38:45 PM »
Here it is:

House approves concealed-carry reciprocity law

Legislation that would require states to recognize concealed-carry firearm permits issued by other states got a boost on Wednesday, passing the House by a vote of 272-154 after a long afternoon of contentious debate.

Supporters–including the National Rifle Association and 43 House Democrats–said the legislation, the Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act, would simplify rules for permit-holders when they carry weapons across state lines.

But opponents called it a “race to the bottom,” saying it would force states to recognize looser permitting requirements of other states. States could be forced to issue permits to criminals convicted of dealing drugs to minors and domestic violence, Democratic opponents argued.

There's more.   You can Google it.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline dark 45

• Forum Member
Re: US House Approves Reciprocity Between States
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 04:31:59 PM »
why are the democrats behind this at all? seems its reversed. makes me wonder what exactly is in or around this.

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 05:31:46 PM »
That has a pretty easy answer in my book.

Upcoming election year, and the one thing that a politician does best is they can tell which way the wind is blowing.  2nd Ammendment rights are a major breeze right now, working their way up to a full blown storm.  They know that they cant stop the coming storm, so why not ride it and see if it can bring about a "re-election". 

I dont think that last part will happen personally, far to much baggage with the current administration to keep it around. 

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline dark 45

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 05:41:10 PM »
my only hesitation to back this 100% is the ability to amend and expand this new law down the road. not to mention it could be easily rendered moot if they attach something later to require a federally recognized id, or something to that effect. i just don't like writing new laws on something that already should be there. putting more laws to render old ones useless just makes it worse in most cases. i rather get laws taken off then added, thus my hesitation. plus my personal feeling of my right to already do this given the 2A. other then that i feel its a step in a good direction.

Offline LM4202

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 07:05:25 PM »
That has a pretty easy answer in my book.

Upcoming election year, and the one thing that a politician does best is they can tell which way the wind is blowing.  2nd Ammendment rights are a major breeze right now, working their way up to a full blown storm.  They know that they cant stop the coming storm, so why not ride it and see if it can bring about a "re-election". 

I dont think that last part will happen personally, far to much baggage with the current administration to keep it around. 

Ron

I believe that nationwide reciprocity is inevitable.  Gun rights are advancing everywhere.  Less than 10 years ago, we had no concealed carry here in Nebraska, the same with some other states, and all that has changed.  Even the states that were resistant, eventually got it.  There's that last state, Illinois that doesnt allow concealed carry, but even there, efforts are underway to change that. 

All of this progress, in spite of the efforts of the anti gun lobby like the Brady Campaign, and the best efforts of the liberal mainstream media to stop it.  Even though there are events like Columbine, Westroads, Virginia Tech, etc, and liberal hacks like Michael Moore try to exploit them to push their anti gun agenda, americans know that those aren't the actions of responsible gun owners, but of loonies.   

This bill may not make it through this time, under this administration, but something similar will eventually make it.  It's inevitable.