< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: I need a little help, here....  (Read 1242 times)

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
I need a little help, here....
« on: December 05, 2011, 12:00:10 PM »
I am a volunteer shooting mentor, listed here:

http://outofoptions.wordpress.com/mentors/

...and there is a guy from Omaha that I ran into on TFL (not sure if he is a member here yet, but I invited him to join us anyhow) that is new to rifles..... and looking to start hunting deer.  He was asking about rifles, and had narrowed his choices down to .270 WIN, .30-06 and .243 ..... never having shot a centerfire rifle ..... I volunteered to let him shoot some of my rifles if he'd buy the ammo and pay any range fees, but I do not have a .243 or a 30-06....... and am not currently a member of any range.....

Anybody here have Mondays free, a 30-06, .243, (or any other deer caliber you think is the bee's knees) and or a range membership that you could bring 2-3 guests to?

The range membership is not absolutely necessary, as I have an informal place to shoot an hour south of Omaha, but ENGC or WWGC would be closer/more convenient.

Thanks in advance.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline rluening

• NFOA Full Member
Re: I need a little help, here....
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 06:41:19 PM »
I don't generally have Mondays free, and I don't have a range membership, but I do have a Remington 700 in .30-06 with decent Nikon glass. If you don't get any other offers, I may be able to meet up with you.

/rl

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 08:33:26 PM »
I'll be free the Monday after Christmas, December 26.  I'm a member at ENGC and I have a .30-06.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 09:03:45 PM »
Not sure if it's the bee's knees, but I have a Marlin in .30-30 (puttin' meat on the table since 1895) with williams peeps, some practice ammo, and I usually have Mondays free, but no range membership.  (In Lincoln, so an hour south of you would be handy, for me.)
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 10:16:15 PM »
If I get my TC .308 back from the recall soon I would be willing to help out. Since a .243 is just a necked down .308 I think I could try and convert him to a 30 caliber  ;D Got a basic Nikon ProStaff on it and for the money you would be challenged to find such a deal. Hopefully I get it back by the middle of next week when I'm done with classes for the semester and then I would be free to go out and help a newcomer. Have a friend who uses his dads old .243 and short barrel .30-06 Rugers that I may be able to bring out. (except that .30-06 kicks like a mule and has more muzzle flip than my .300wm did)  :laugh:

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 10:38:14 PM »
Thanks for the offers...... He's meeting me on th 19th.   Anybody else wanna go shoot a few milk jugs? .......right now, we have:

.270 WIN Rem 721
.243WIN Rem 788
.30-06  (Not sure of the make)
.30/30  Marlin 30A
7mm-08  Ruger Frontier
7.62x54R Mosin 91/30

I have vowed to be impartial, and not attempt to convert him to Jack O'Conner's caliber.....

I will, however, try to get him to join the NFOA.

The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 06:04:04 AM »
Thanks for the offers...... He's meeting me on th 19th.   Anybody else wanna go shoot a few milk jugs? .......right now, we have:

.270 WIN Rem 721
.243WIN Rem 788
.30-06  (Not sure of the make)
.30/30  Marlin 30A
7mm-08  Ruger Frontier
7.62x54R Mosin 91/30

I have vowed to be impartial, and not attempt to convert him to Jack O'Conner's caliber.....

I will, however, try to get him to join the NFOA.

That Remington 788 is going to spoil him for any other gun.  I regret selling mine in .223.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 09:00:22 PM »
I too wish I had not sold mine ..... in .243, even.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 10:52:29 PM »
Next bleg:  Do you drink milk?   I Need 1/2 gallon and gallon jugs for targets ..... though I have 6 kids, pre-deer season shooting sessions have depleted my target stocks.......

I am taking one our newest members, BigMikey76, shooting on the 19th of December .... anybody want to bust some milk jugs? No? Don't have time? Send your milk jugs and we'll bust them for you! We  might even take some pics and post them here!

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 01:51:32 AM »
I have been saving mine up for testing. If you are coming thru Lincoln, holler and you can come by and pick them up.  Maybe I'll even sell you some water. ;)
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane