< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: What do You Carry?  (Read 6181 times)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: What do You Carry?
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2011, 09:47:07 PM »
To be honest it depends on the day and what I'm wearing or what I'm doing or what mood I'm in.  My S&W 642 gets carried more than anything because it's so small and light but still has decent stopping power.  I run a lot and it's great for that.  I don't even notice the weight.  It's a handful to shoot though until you get used to it.  +P .38spl out of an aluminum framed revolver can be nasty.

When I'm wearing clothes that will conceal better I do prefer an autoloader with higher capacity.  As some of you know my wife loves CZ's so sometimes I sneak her 82 or 75 out of the house.  I absolutely love the 75.  It's heavy but once I got a good holster that wasn't a problem anymore.  CZ's have extremely thin profiles because the slide rides inside the frame instead of the other way around like everyone else.  It's comforting knowing I have 14+1 on tap and another 14 in my pocket.

In the winter if I'm wearing a coat or long shirt I'll carry my M&P 9L.  I bought it as a competition gun and the long barrel makes it hard to conceal, but the extra capacity is nice when I can get away with it.

I've thought about carrying this just for giggles.  Mine is 100% reliable and accurate, but like the Steve Earle song says, shoots as fast as lightnin' but loads a mite slow...

« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 12:00:00 PM by bkoenig »

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2011, 08:22:38 AM »
I am like bkoenig, depends on the weather and situation. For light clothing days or the need for deep concealablity I use my Taurus PT380. Very small and still has some punch. For colder weather where more clothing is the norm I use the Charter Arms Mag Pug .357 in a Crossbreed IWB.
Now, if I could figure out a way to carry this I would truly fear no evil but alas just have not come up with a good way to pull it off.

Offline monkeyboy

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2011, 10:27:16 AM »
Think trench coat! 

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2011, 12:01:25 PM »
I WANT that Krink.

Offline Rodney Moorhead

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2011, 12:31:07 PM »
I carry a P226 in a paddle holster.  I will be switching over shortly to a 5906 as soon as I get used to it.  My P226 has been pretty much shot to death. 
...Com on wanre niht scri?an sceadugenga

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2011, 01:47:40 PM »
<---- That, lately in one of Sparky's OWB (Avenger?) holsters.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 01:52:47 PM by JimP »
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline rluening

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2011, 07:51:44 PM »
Today? This:

(spare mag and holster not shown...)

Tomorrow may be different.

/rl

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2011, 10:11:13 PM »
Nice pen
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline rluening

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2011, 10:25:59 PM »
Ballpoints and I don't get along....

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2011, 05:02:15 PM »
In winter, I carry a Charles Daly (FEG) hi-power.  It's a great gun.  I have one of sparky's holsters, but the gun usually rides in a Galco N3 made for a 1911.  It's a great combo and with a stiff belt rides quite nicely.

Offline blind_hunter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2011, 09:01:20 PM »
I switch between a XD9SC, XDM9 and Glock 19.  Love my Galco King Tuk holsters.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2011, 09:56:52 PM »
Sig p229 equinox in .40 in a crossbreed holster.

it's a little on the large side is my only complaint.

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2011, 03:15:14 PM »
American Derringer Model 2 Pen Gun

That way, when Perp sez, "Gimme the Money!!!", you say.....

"I'm all out of hard cash right now.   Let me write you a check........"

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2011, 10:50:55 AM »
Most of the time, for its lightness and concealability, I carry my S&W 340SC.  I have a good ankle holster for it (De Santis 044 S1), but I prefer a pocket or my Galco paddle holster if I can wear a long shirt or jacket for cover.  It will fit just about anywhere, even a jeans pocket, and printing isn't usually a problem.  It's not something I enjoy shooting (quite a kick with .357 Mag 140 gr FTX Hornady Leverevolution ammo), but it has stopping power if not capacity.  I figure the most likely situation where I might need it would be at very close range and a single attacker.

I really prefer to carry my Kimber .45 with night sights, but its not as comfortable or concealable.  I usually use my Galco B819WC belt holster (for concealed or open carry), but if I expect to have to remove it for some reason, I will use my Galco paddle hoster instead.  I don't usually use it, but I have a two-magazine carrier that matches my paddle holster, too.  I frequently open carry if I'm taking my dogs for a walk, or just going for a walk on my own.  That doesn't go over very well though if I'm going to a place with lots of people around (shopping, etc.).

I generally have my Glock 26 in my truck in the overhead console as well.

Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2011, 12:45:01 PM »
I carry a .50 Desert Eagle in a DeSantis shoulder holster, with a Taurus Judge in an ankle holster for backup.

No, seriously, I do.

[cough, cough]

(Well, maybe not really.)
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2011, 02:52:08 PM »
Most of the time, for its lightness and concealability, I carry my S&W 340SC.  I have a good ankle holster for it (De Santis 044 S1), but I prefer a pocket or my Galco paddle holster if I can wear a long shirt or jacket for cover.  It will fit just about anywhere, even a jeans pocket, and printing isn't usually a problem.  It's not something I enjoy shooting (quite a kick with .357 Mag 140 gr FTX Hornady Leverevolution ammo), but it has stopping power if not capacity.  I figure the most likely situation where I might need it would be at very close range and a single attacker.

Hmmm, sounds like an idea for our next training video. Deploying from a pocket or ankle holster while dealing with a single attacker at very close range. I should also record the guys faces when I bring it up.  :'(

- Shawn
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2011, 04:07:52 PM »
sjwsti:

Are you attempting to make fun of me?  If the goal here is to make fun of other people, there is plenty of ammunition.  I fully realize an ankle holster is not the best method of carry for self-defense.  Still, I have faith in my own ability to recognize a situation and adjust if necessary.  I'm not saying that I could draw my gun from an ankle holster when attacked by surprise from a few feet away.  I'm saying that I carry that way when I want to carry concealed and appropriate clothing limits my choices.  As for carrying in a pocket or paddle holster, do you have a suggestion as to what would be significantly better?
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2011, 05:00:47 PM »
sjwsti:

Are you attempting to make fun of me?  If the goal here is to make fun of other people, there is plenty of ammunition.  I fully realize an ankle holster is not the best method of carry for self-defense.  Still, I have faith in my own ability to recognize a situation and adjust if necessary.  I'm not saying that I could draw my gun from an ankle holster when attacked by surprise from a few feet away.  I'm saying that I carry that way when I want to carry concealed and appropriate clothing limits my choices.  As for carrying in a pocket or paddle holster, do you have a suggestion as to what would be significantly better?

Not making fun at all, sorry that it sounded that way. If you search around you will see that myself and a small group of like minded gluttons for punishment will occasionally video a training session or two and post it to this forum. We do this in order to pass on the lessons learned from full contact FOF training. Very often we find that something that sounds good on the internet, in a magazine or even taught in a class falls quite short when tested in this manner. 

We are always looking to challenge ourselves by doing what is difficult and you mentioned a couple of common carry methods that we haven't tested FOF.

Truth be told, given the right circumstances the type of holster you have or even the gun that you carry makes no difference at all. But since I cant predict the future I prepare for the worst case scenario and choose equipment that will serve me best in any circumstance and train like my life will depend on it.

You agree that drawing from an ankle holster will only be possible under the right circumstances. A physical attack at close range isn't one of them I'm betting. But talk is cheap, we will actually do it and then video it for your amusement and you can take from it what you want. As far as pocket carry, have you attempted to get a gun out of your pocket while actually being punched, grabbed and thrown to the ground? I haven't, but I'm going to. You will get to see how it turns out, good or bad. 

- Shawn
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2011, 05:45:51 PM »
Carrying any gun, anywhere on you, is better than carrying nothing at all.   If an ankle holster is what you are comfortable with(when the occasion calls for it), go for it! 

I usually have an LCP in my pocket, but am trying to find a good IWB holster for the CZ 2075 RAMI I picked up a while back.  The CZ is so small, I can carry it in the pocket of some of my jeans nearly as easily as the LCP, but need to find a thin pocket holster before I do that.   

BTW:  Welcome back, A&H... the discussions around here were getting a little stale without your unique perspective and no-b.s. posts.  Healthy(and respectful) debate is what this forum is all about.    8)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 05:52:20 PM by FarmerRick »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2012, 09:25:34 AM »
Shawn and Rick:

Thanks.

I watched some videos recently showing the difficulty of drawing and firing a weapon while under attack from close range.  To me it only reinforced the idea that awareness of your surroundings, avoiding risky situations, and having a plan are probably more important than what gun you carry, how you carry it, or how much training you have.  I'm sure training helps considerably, but from what I saw, even trained individuals didn't fare very well when it came to a sudden attack by a man with a knife or other deadly weapon from close range (21 feet or less).  Most of the subjects eventually got their gun out and fired (dummy rounds of course), but had their attackers' weapons been real, they most likely would have died from the wounds inflicted upon them, and likely would never have gotten off a shot.  This was in a situation where they knew what was coming and were ready for it, and they had their weapons where they were easily accessible.

By the way, I have a leather jacket I wear quite a bit.  It has a pocket that was meant for a cell phone, but it works very well with my S&W340.  Outside of already having the gun in my hand, I don't think any kind of holster would make drawing it any faster than I can get it from this pocket.  It wouldn't have the retention of a good holster, but I seldom run, jump, or do summersaults any more, and I don't expect that to be a problem.  :)