< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: D.C. Ordered to Pay $1M in Historic Gun Case  (Read 960 times)

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
D.C. Ordered to Pay $1M in Historic Gun Case
« on: December 29, 2011, 10:11:16 PM »
 Read more: http://www.foxnews.com

Courts - POLITICS
D.C. Ordered to Pay $1M in Historic Gun Case

Published December 29, 2011

| Associated Press

WASHINGTON –  The District of Columbia has been ordered to pay more than $1 million in attorneys' fees as a result of a historic gun case that was ultimately decided by the U.S. Supreme Court.

Dick Heller sued the city in 2003 over its ban on handgun ownership and the U.S. Supreme Court overturned the ban in June 2008, saying it violated the Second Amendment.

A federal judge on Thursday issued an opinion awarding Heller's attorneys $1,137,072.27 in fees and expenses. The attorneys had argued they should be awarded $3.1 million. Attorneys for the city said the figure should be closer to $840,000.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/12/29/dc-ordered-to-pay-1m-in-historic-gun-case/?intcmp=trendin#ixzz1hzIhQwYi
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: D.C. Ordered to Pay $1M in Historic Gun Case
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 11:08:56 PM »
How bout them apples?

;D

That's what you get for screwing around with the Constitution.

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 10:15:45 AM »
Very pleased to hear this....very pleased in deed  ;D

Although the city should have received a much harsher penalty. In the form of fining the city officials that voted for these unconstitutional measures. We need to make politicians fear the 2nd Amendment and the Constitution again....so that they think about our rights next time they propose a bill.

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 10:34:12 AM »
What good does it do to fine the city? All the money that they wasted to fight with is taxpayer money, now all the money in fines once again is taxpayer money. It's not like it hurts the city, it only hurts the taxpayers. And when the taxpayers run out of money, there won't be any more fines because the city will own the people and can then do as they please.

In order to make it right, the politicians involved should be the ones that pay the fines. Of course, it would only be chump change to them.

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 11:36:11 AM »
What good does it do to fine the city? All the money that they wasted to fight with is taxpayer money, now all the money in fines once again is taxpayer money. It's not like it hurts the city, it only hurts the taxpayers. And when the taxpayers run out of money, there won't be any more fines because the city will own the people and can then do as they please.

Yup, and that's why I stated "In the form of fining the city officials that voted for these unconstitutional measures." for precisely that reason....that we the people would not come to harm but those that violated our rights.

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 12:08:08 PM »
Yup, and that's why I stated "In the form of fining the city officials that voted for these unconstitutional measures." for precisely that reason....that we the people would not come to harm but those that violated our rights.

I know you said that, and I stupidly hit Post before I finished, sometimes I just get ahead of myself.

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 03:33:39 AM »
No worries...

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 03:29:34 PM »
Well, you could argue that the citizens of DC are the ones that elected those officials, so if it's their tax money paying the fines, they deserve what they got.
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.