< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Reloading Presses ?  (Read 7546 times)

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
Re: Reloading Presses ?
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2011, 07:01:10 PM »
Somewhat off topic... but... I came up with a solution for the bullet punch problem on the Lee Bullet Sizing Die stuff on my LNL.

Took a shell plate that had a big enough hole in it (in this case, plate #29 for the 41mag)... and flipped it upside down.

Holds it just fine (although still concerns over auto indexing and the fact it's not being held in place by the coiled brass retention spring).

Given that the punch has the thinner diameter at the top, then a middle ring, then the fat flat head that would typically hold it in place .... the punch actually stops going into the die at the middle ring area.

Annnnnddd... it lines up just fine and goes into the sizing die no problem.

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2011, 04:54:14 PM »
some foreign POS that bangs 7.62R.

You speak poorly of the Red 30-06.......

I like mine more and more.....

As for 2 deer with 2 shots, good shooting!
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2012, 01:49:39 PM »
Well.....I went and done it. Ordered a Redding Big Boss II from Midway. Looked real hard at the Rock Chucker, but read alot of not so happy posts. Seems that they are now made in China and the fit and finish really is an issue to some people. So, I chose the Redding. My plans are to use the Honady LNL adapter and bushings to make die changes easy and quick. Ya know, setup speed is an issue when you try to load 50 rounds in a week.  :laugh: Lets see now, all I need is a hand primer, power dispenser, scale, dies, shell holders, reloading manual, calipers, case trimmers,.......... :-\   and enough sense to learn the proper procedures.  :o  Otherwise, all I have is a really nice nutcracker.  :'(  Anybody need walnut shells for their tumbler ?
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2012, 02:21:23 PM »
>:D BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA >:D ..... another poor helpless victim joins the ranks of hand loaders ... >:D

*ahem*

Congrats Kozball!  Your addiction hobby is just beginning!

Case trimmer .... there are some fancy electric all in one things that might be cool... but... i have one of these and can attest to their absolutely great quality:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/614276/forster-original-case-trimmer-kit

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2012, 06:49:06 PM »
Re:   Case Trimmer.........

That little cranky-handle with the knurled knob can be easily removed via the Allen screw.

And a 1/4" or 3/8" drill motor (variable speed preferred) can be hooked up directly to the trimmer spindle, replacing the cranky-handle.    All of which saves wear and tear on the reloader-person and puts it onto machinery, where it righteously belongs.   

The case mouth chamfering can be done with the drill, as well.

Makes the whole case trimming thing go like blazes.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2012, 09:01:20 PM »
i will NOT attach a drill to his foster trimmer.  the quality is astounding, and it's not cheap.  i refuse to risk ruining it by attaching some p.o.s. quality drill to it.

also, it cuts through brass like butter, takes no effort / time at all to trim down factory new 41mag brass to proper length.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2012, 08:59:49 AM »
You have a bench to set it on, koz?
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2012, 09:39:34 AM »
JimP........

If you're talkin' to me, yes--very fine, sturdy home-built reloading bench.   

Drill works like a charm on the old plain-Jane Hornady case trimmer.    Eliminates hand cranking, which can get pretty tedious after the first 50 cases.

I've used both cordless and corded drills, with a shim block to support the drill's axis in line with the trimmer cutter's axis.

Trim length is set to minimum case length.    The cases can grow with shooting, especially the hotter loads.    Case length, as you very well know, is an issue in avoiding very high chamber pressures.

'Course reloaders can buy those Hornady Lock-N-Load Power Case Prep Center devices for only $531.67  http://www.hornady.com/store/Lock-N-Load-Power-Case-Prep-Center/.   About the same as a new Glock.

The jury-rigged drill works just fine for me.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline justsomeguy

• Defender of the Constitution
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2012, 10:16:11 AM »
A cheaper and lighter alternative to the drill would be a cordless screwdriver. It uses the same adapter SFG is talking about, is lighter and as such doesn't need to be supported, slides on and off the adapter without needing to be chucked, and is just a handy tool to keep on your bench.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are." - Marcus Aurelius

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2012, 10:23:59 AM »
You have a bench to set it on, koz?

JimP...Well sorta. My plans are to get rid of my Corvette and build a nice workbench / storage cabinet setup. Maybe about 8 ft long, or should I go BIGGER    ;D
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2012, 12:37:45 PM »
re: hornady lnl case prep center

Midway reviews of the thing seem to be dubious.  I love my LNL press, but given the price tag of the case prep center... i want a 90-95% positive review list with few or no caveats listed.  The prep center fails this :(

The uh, cheaper.... lyman thing doesn't include a trimmer... but is also only $100 or so:

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/case-prep/case-prep-xpress.php

And generally gets good reviews and a tiny price.... I think when I was debating getting a case prep machine, this is what I was leaning towards (over the rcbs prep mate).  Don't own either, so can't comment on quality etc.

re: drill

nope, still no thanks.  it takes all of 2 seconds, maybe 3 to trim a factory new case on the foster thing.  A drill would shorten that to... 1.5-2.0 ?  not worth the risk of me messing up and knocking the drill off and messing up bushings or something.

re: cordless screw driver

not a bad idea.... i like.

actually, if I was going to motorize the thing, I'd either make my own motor attachment thing (see: copper plating / motor basket thing) or actually rig a drill up so that it's a permanent attachment within it's own box like the commercial / retail powered trimmers are.

then again, if i had an old / beat up / cheap case trimmer, i can see going ahead and chucking it to a drill hehe.

re: reloading bench

yeah, i'm not too wise, but i have limited options.  my computer room (spare bedroom) doubles as my reloading / plating experiment center (no, i don't cast lead in it heh).  I have an 8 foot folding table that i bolted a 3/4inch piece of plywood too.  Solid surface... and at 8 feet, the table is huge and sturdy (even though folding table... although i've not tried to swage my own lead bullets / jackets).  It's also dirt cheap to make (cheapest folding table + cheap 3/4" plywood...).  i've got some cheap walmart wood-ish shelving things sitting along the back of it that give me 4-6 shelves to place parts / dies / etc on.

8 feet -- it seems like a lot of room, but unless you make it so you can move tools around (presses / etc), you'll probably find it ends up being kinda cramped after your addiction hobby continues to flourish.  for me, my 8 foot folding table is enough for the LNL progressive press, shelves, a MEC 600 jr (or was it 650?) for shotshell reloading, and a small case prep area.  Having lots of space available is really important to me when reloading.... seems like I'm less likely to **** up that way.

Offline justsomeguy

• Defender of the Constitution
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2012, 03:36:48 PM »

re: drill

nope, still no thanks.  it takes all of 2 seconds, maybe 3 to trim a factory new case on the foster thing.  A drill would shorten that to... 1.5-2.0 ?  not worth the risk of me messing up and knocking the drill off and messing up bushings or something.

re: cordless screw driver

not a bad idea.... i like.

actually, if I was going to motorize the thing, I'd either make my own motor attachment thing (see: copper plating / motor basket thing) or actually rig a drill up so that it's a permanent attachment within it's own box like the commercial / retail powered trimmers are.

then again, if i had an old / beat up / cheap case trimmer, i can see going ahead and chucking it to a drill hehe.

The powered trimmer thing isn't really about time, it's about effort. Anyone else who has given himself blisters trimming cases knows what I'm talking about.  ;)
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are." - Marcus Aurelius