Ammunition & Hand Loading > Cartridge and Shotshell reloading

Hand Loading

(1/4) > >>

Rule#.308:
I was wondering if there would be any interest in a separate forum geared to hand loading ammunition.  Someplace where hand loaders could share receipes  :-X or perhaps help someone solve a problem they are having reloading a particular firearm (7.5x55 Swiss for instance :-[).  Just a thought

Jay:
Rule-

That is definitely a possibility, but since this site is still new, we don't want to have too many separate boards and not have any traffic in them. The final say is not mine alone, but I think if you could get enough hand loading traffic going in the general ammunition board that we already have, there is a good chance we could split out hand loading and give it its own board down the road as the site grows.

We're only a couple months into NFOA, so the direction the forum boards takes depends on the growth of the members and the posts that are made.

Soooo.... start posting away and let's see what happens!

Jay:
Also, we have the caliber guide boards that are available to post your favorite recipes as well. We discussed re-arranging some of these forum boards at the last Board of Directors meeting, and decided to let things play out for a while and re-evaluate the forums as the post count grows.

Mikee Loxxer:
As handloading is one of my hobbies I would support such a sub-forum. That being said I am not sure how much traffic it would get. I have seen other handloading forums be pretty slow.

As someone who is getting ready to try their second attempt at loading 7.5X 55 Swiss I have to ask "what problem are you encountering?"

Rule#.308:
I was having trouble with having to do double taps when I started trying different bullet types.  Those Swiss have a pretty tight tolerences in those rifles so I am finding out you cannot go by what the book says about C.O.L as different bullets have different silouettes.  I would suggest if you try say 130 grain bullet just to see what it will do, to make up a dummy first and smoke it.  Then you can drop it in your rifle to see how it fits.  I have started writing down my C.O.L. on everything I load for it now as there is quite difference bullet to bullet.  I have been trying to come up with formulas for Match and Hunting and the 130 just struck me as something to try although I have not found anything yet to beat the 168 grain BTHP.  Also I had to figure out the trim length as the book is a little off there too.  I go no higher than 2.079 and no lower than 2.074.  Lastly as much as I hate to admit it, I have found neck sizing just doesn't work on this rifle.  Again the Swiss and their tight tolerences.  But I can't believe the accuracy of the rifle.  I mounted a Burris 2.75 Scout scope on mine using S&K no tap mounts and I can ring the gong at 500 with no problem.  The scope keeps me out of Swiss matches however so I'm thinking of buying another one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version