< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Gun safe questions  (Read 8408 times)

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
Re: Gun safe questions
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2012, 03:42:20 PM »
I have read that opinion too.  One safe with everything in it takes X minutes to get into.  Four safes with your guns spread throughout means 4 times X minutes to get to all of your collection.  I'm not getting a HUGE safe.  Thinking of a 26-30 gun safe which realistically means it will hold 13-15 long guns.  I'm hoping there will be reason in the future to buy another safe.   ;D

Fly

What potential scenario do you anticipate that would require you to access all of your guns in X minutes vs. X+ minutes?  I'm struggling to imagine a scenario where quick access to 12-15 firearms beats even quicker access to 4-8 firearms.

In theory, one could have a safe on each floor of one's home providing access to some firearms, but not all, more quickly than a single safe on one floor.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2012, 03:48:56 PM »
Fly,

What is different about the stairs going up to the bedroom vs the stairs going to the basement? Are they obviously constructed differently?

Sorry for the confusion.  I live in a ranch house.  Stairs to basement.  None to bedroom other than the front door and stoop.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2012, 04:44:09 PM »
What potential scenario do you anticipate that would require you to access all of your guns in X minutes vs. X+ minutes?  I'm struggling to imagine a scenario where quick access to 12-15 firearms beats even quicker access to 4-8 firearms.

In theory, one could have a safe on each floor of one's home providing access to some firearms, but not all, more quickly than a single safe on one floor.

Maybe I am just lazy and I don't want to open several safes or have to walk too far.  ;D

Seriously though, I'm picking up what you are laying down.  My only issue is trying to find several places to place 2+ safes.  My wife has all her $&*! stuff all over the house so my personal space is limited.  I am also thinking about cleaning out her craft room to make it my gun/guy cave, but not sure if that is a war I want to fight right now.  It would be an awesome room though.  It has cinder block on three of the four walls.  I would just need to fortify two basement windows, one traditional (2x4 and gypsum) wall, and a door.  A vault door would be cool, but the standard wall would be the weak link and need a lot of modification.

ETA: That would also be a lot of work for a house that we may want to sell in a few years.

Fly

Offline Ghost

• Steel Benefactor
  • NRA Life Member - 1972
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2012, 05:20:27 PM »
Fly,

I had similar concerns with getting a ginormous safe down to the basement in the ranch house we live in.  After looking at a lot of different possibilities, I ended up getting one of these:

http://www.dakotasafe.com/dakota_interlocxp.html

It comes in 4 large cartons and bolts together from the inside.  It is also expandable if you need something bigger in the future.  My son and I were able to carry the cartons down our steps without hurting ourselves too badly.  I bolted it to a concrete wall in the back, and to the concrete floor.  If somebody wants to break it open, I'm sure they eventually can, but they will have to work pretty hard to do it.  FWIW.

Ghost     
A well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free State......George Mason

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2012, 07:06:46 PM »
Fly,

I had similar concerns with getting a ginormous safe down to the basement in the ranch house we live in.  After looking at a lot of different possibilities, I ended up getting one of these:

http://www.dakotasafe.com/dakota_interlocxp.html

It comes in 4 large cartons and bolts together from the inside.  It is also expandable if you need something bigger in the future.  My son and I were able to carry the cartons down our steps without hurting ourselves too badly.  I bolted it to a concrete wall in the back, and to the concrete floor.  If somebody wants to break it open, I'm sure they eventually can, but they will have to work pretty hard to do it.  FWIW.

Ghost     

Thanks Ghost.  I have been looking at similar modular safes, if not this same one.  They tend to be a little more expensive from what I have seen, but I don't know if I have seen the price on the Dakota.  I will look further into it.

Thanks again,
Fly

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2012, 12:23:51 AM »
Gun Club just got in Browning's Tactical Gun Safe, almost $3000.00 Made in China all over the shipping crate
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2012, 10:49:42 AM »
Gun Club just got in Browning's Tactical Gun Safe, almost $3000.00 Made in China all over the shipping crate

I am trying my best to avoid that too, but there are not a lot of choices when you remove Chinese and Mexican made safes from consideration.  Frustrating to say the least.  Frank Zykan had some "Eagle" safes that sounded very good for the money, but he replied to my inquiry and said that they don't have any of them in stock and doesn't expect to get any more.

So my search continues.  Which safes ARE American made?  I thought someone said Liberty safes were, but I can't confirm that.

Fly

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2012, 11:15:27 AM »
Stack-on is a U.S. manufacturer.  I'm not sure if all of their safes are manufactured in the U.S. though.