< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Survival Fiction  (Read 26198 times)

Offline gigabelly

• Steel Benefactor
  • KD0RTI
Re: Survival Fiction
« Reply #140 on: February 02, 2013, 09:21:11 PM »
excellent.  I hit the tip jar a while back but want you to know that it was good enough I would gladly pay for UCJ 2. 
Government is not the solution to our problems, Government is our problem. -Ronald Reagan

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #141 on: February 04, 2013, 10:10:53 AM »
excellent.  I hit the tip jar a while back but want you to know that it was good enough I would gladly pay for UCJ 2. 

Thank you ... for the tip and the kind words.  I wish I could write for a living, but it just won't pay the bills at this point.

Offline gigabelly

• Steel Benefactor
  • KD0RTI
« Reply #142 on: February 04, 2013, 11:10:55 AM »
Yet. 
Government is not the solution to our problems, Government is our problem. -Ronald Reagan

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #143 on: February 04, 2013, 04:44:12 PM »
I wish I could write for a living, but it just won't pay the bills at this point.

Toby, you are as good a writer as any I have ever read, and that includes Arthur C. Clark, Issac Asimov, Robert J. Sawyer and other celestial objects in the  writer's sky.   I find it hard to believe that the UCJ is your first piece of major work, if it is.   But, I agree with  you.   As good as you are, and you are among the best, IMO, making a living off of it would be next to impossible.

Writing as a means of making a living is getting very difficult as publishers of paperbacks decline in number and Internet marketing proliferates.   Robert J. Sawyer had some thoughts on it.
http://www.sfwriter.com/beginner.htm

2) Fewer than one percent of those who want to be science-fiction writers ever publish even a single story. This is a tough, tough game to get into, and there are thousands of aspirant writers just like you. Almost all will fail, and 90% of those who manage to sell a first novel or a few short stories will also fail after that, never selling anything again.

3) Almost nobody gets rich writing SF, and hardly anyone gets to do it full-time. If you're going into this for the money, you are making a mistake. Most SF magazines pay between three and eight cents US a word for stories, and most first novels in this field get advances of between US$2,500 and US$7,500 — and never earn a penny beyond that in royalties. Flipping burgers at McDonald's will make you more on an hourly basis.

I am a devotee of sci  fi.   But, I find it amazing that science fiction writers totally missed the Internet and the world wide web.   Likewise, I read about various scenarios for the near future and most look very grime.    IMO, your's is the most plausible I've read.   And your timeline might  not be that far off.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 04:53:35 PM by GreyGeek »

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #144 on: February 04, 2013, 06:13:00 PM »
Thanks, Geek.  You're making me blush.

I sincerely hope the series of events and timeline in the UCJ do not come to fruition.

Offline wusker

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #145 on: February 05, 2013, 08:28:05 AM »
Okay never saw this post before I usually just check the "Today's posts" and go from there, Long story short I called in sick to work today after staying up till almost 3am, I had no idea how late it was and I am usually a night owl. Amazing read! I am a huge reader love fantasy novels such as Robert Jordan and that type genre which I am currently rereading. bookmarked your blog, what a great read! When the kids take a nap im diving back in. I will spread the word, Keep it up.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #146 on: February 05, 2013, 08:35:29 AM »
Okay never saw this post before I usually just check the "Today's posts" and go from there, Long story short I called in sick to work today after staying up till almost 3am, I had no idea how late it was and I am usually a night owl. Amazing read! I am a huge reader love fantasy novels such as Robert Jordan and that type genre which I am currently rereading. bookmarked your blog, what a great read! When the kids take a nap im diving back in. I will spread the word, Keep it up.

Glad you're enjoying it.

For anyone who's interested, you can get it for Kindle and Nook readers or you can get it in PDF format.  See links below.

Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/The-Union-Creek-Journal-ebook/dp/B008XLJ63K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360074856&sr=8-1&keywords=union+creek+journal

Nook: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-union-creek-journal-toby-asplin/1114032535?ean=2940016131085

PDF: https://unioncreekjournal.wordpress.com/journal-pdf-request/

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #147 on: February 10, 2013, 09:29:31 AM »
Toby, your blog  gave  me a lot of food  for thought.

In  your story the collapse is  quick and  nationwide.   I've come to  the opinion that it will be sporadic and creeping, and that it has already started.   Detroit is an example  of a city that has fallen on hard times.   One third of the city population has left, leaving huge tracks of empty, deteriorating houses and a city government  with insufficient tax revenues to support the local structure.   The sheriff has recommend that citizens arm themselves for their own protection  and the police union has recommended  that visitors to the state stay away  from Detroit.   As lawlessness increases, and it will because criminals never let an opportunity go to waste, shootings will increase.  Sooner or later either the local, state or federal government will declare marshal law in Detroit, and a good part of the surrounding country, and outlaw the possession of guns, with mandates to "turn them in" or be shot on sight.    It will be an oxymoron that a government which  thinks  it is horrible to sentence teenage murderers to life in prison will have no compulsion against shooting someone with 2A Rights for exercising that right.

The Marshal Law will never be rescinded and Federalized troops will be asking for "papers" and doing warrantless searches of persons, cars and homes,  just as they have always wanted to do since the DHS was created and have recently claimed that they have such a right, despite the 4th and 5th Amendments.   That's how rogue our government has gotten!    As the depression deepens, and it can only deepen because contrary to Obama's doctrine we cannot spend our way out of debt, identical troubles will spread to other cities.   One could postulate that continued deficit spending is done deliberately to hasten troubles and justify nationwide marshal law.   The government won't do that because it would spread their resources too broadly  and would spark a nationwide armed revolt.   If one man can create so much havoc in L.A. and the surrounding regions one can only imagine how much chaos hundreds of well armed and trained men could do.  So, that led me to the conclusion that marshal law will be imposed on areas of the country with  the greatest problems and rising levels of violence.    If a major metropolitan area collapses the government will have  to use the exact weapons and tactics they've been training with for the last five years in places like L.A., Miami and Huston.   But, they won't do anything with other parts of the country and folks will think, "oh well, that's justified in those places", never thinking that they are in  the same line, just farther down.  Another thing they will do is extend the "border" out to 150 or 200 miles, enlarging the "Constitution Free Zone" that already exists.  That will increase the number of Americans living under less than full Constitutional protection from 1/3rd to nearly half of the total population.   

With many places like Detroit having been put under Marshal Law a some political or financial "emergency" will give an excuse for the government to suspend the  Constitution entirely and put the remaining parts  of  the country under Marshal Law.    With a lot of the weaponry having already been confiscated by house to house searches, car  stops, personal frisking, etc... those already under Marshal Law will be unable to help  in an armed revolt.   That will leave the "union creek" kinds of locations as the last remaining vestiges of Constitutional freedom left in the country.  Unfortunately, the National Guard armories will still be functional and under control of the "new" government  and it will be manned by people who agreed to shoot Americans on this soil when they were given the new litmus test for advancement in the "new" military.

My scenario has even less hope than yours, unfortunately, because it is of the frog warming variety.  Just about the time the frog notices the heat it will be too weak to jump out of the pot.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #148 on: February 10, 2013, 12:58:46 PM »
You're probably right, Geek.  I wanted to tell a story with hope, though.  :)

Offline wusker

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #149 on: February 14, 2013, 10:51:27 PM »
WOOO WOOO now wait a minute I just heard you got some big promotion to NFOA board of directors, good for you! But how does that affect my new favorite book (YOURS DUH!) Does this mean your going to slack off with new content?
 j/k  I love it man been telling everyone I know about it, keep up the good work.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #150 on: February 15, 2013, 08:49:33 AM »
WOOO WOOO now wait a minute I just heard you got some big promotion to NFOA board of directors, good for you! But how does that affect my new favorite book (YOURS DUH!) Does this mean your going to slack off with new content?
 j/k  I love it man been telling everyone I know about it, keep up the good work.

Slack off?  No.  Slightly delay?  Perhaps.  If I can get my life to cooperate, I'm planning a little sabbatical over the next couple weeks.  That could be good news for UCJ fans.  The bad news ... my life hasn't been very cooperative lately.

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #151 on: August 30, 2013, 01:01:06 PM »
Slack off?  No.  Slightly delay?  Perhaps.  If I can get my life to cooperate, I'm planning a little sabbatical over the next couple weeks.  That could be good news for UCJ fans.  The bad news ... my life hasn't been very cooperative lately.

Well? What's the story?
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #152 on: August 30, 2013, 04:51:50 PM »
Well? What's the story?

The story is ... life loves to throw you curve balls.  However, I'm getting very close to being able to write again (unless life throws another curve ball).

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #153 on: August 30, 2013, 09:27:26 PM »
That's good. Looking forward to it.
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan