< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Range Safety Officer Training  (Read 2822 times)

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
Range Safety Officer Training
« on: December 20, 2011, 09:27:10 PM »
I was talking to another member today about the perceived lack of offerings on the NRA website for NRA classes in Nebraska and he suggested this post.

Is there any interest in NRA classes among the NFOA membership; specifically the Range Safety Officers Course?

I also offer several other NRA classes. If there is enough interest I would be willing to schedule it.

We are snowbirding in New Mexico at the moment, but would not resist a chance to be back in Nebraska.
Sidearms Training Academy
La Luz, NM

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Range Safety Officer Training
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 09:30:59 PM »
Hey Gunny!
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 09:43:57 PM »
Hey back Dan. Been meaning to call you some Sunday afternoon. Old Times aye?
La Luz, NM

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 09:49:25 PM »
Next 2 Sundays may not work , but after that give me a jingle.

Deb asked me just today if you and the better half might be around over the Holidays this year
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 09:54:51 PM »
I took the RSO class a couple of years ago and believe me it comes in handy.  Even if you don't plan to run a regular match it's nice to be able to fill in for someone or run a one off event.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 02:17:36 AM »
I'd be interested, if I know enough ahead of time from a financial standpoint.
Would be intereested in Range officer as well as pistol/rifle instructor.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 02:15:23 PM »
I'd be interested, if I know enough ahead of time from a financial standpoint.
Would be intereested in Range officer as well as pistol/rifle instructor.

Ditto.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 09:34:52 PM »
I think that I would be more interested in some of the other instructor courses, if you could teach them.  The Range Safety Officer course is available as a correspondence course---most of the others are not.

(And I already have the RSO certification. :) )

What other instructor courses are you able to teach?
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 06:55:40 AM »
The NRA RSO is only available as a correspondence course IF you are already certified to instruct an NRA dicipline, otherwise you must attend the 9 hour class.

La Luz, NM

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 07:29:40 AM »
JT,

I am not an NRA Training Counselor. There are several of you folks offering a lot of good training in the eastern Nebraska area and it will never be my intention to "horn" in on that.

I have thought that on some of our visits back to Ne. I could make available some of the classes that you guys are not doing.

I "assume" most of you (that are teaching) already have some of the basic NRA "certs" to teach Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, etc.

Not everyone is an NRA CRSO and able to teach the NRA RSO course. I was thinking that one might be a good one to offer without stepping on toes, as it were.

There are a number of clubs and ranges that require or find it helpful for their range/match operators to have the RSO certification. Some even require basic first aid and CPR for RO's.

Some of what I can do is Firearm Safety in the Home, Personal Protection in the Home and of course the Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun diciplines.

I would not be limited to eastern Nebraska either. If there is enough interest in other parts of the state I would do that as well.

Gunny
La Luz, NM

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 08:16:50 AM »
I am not an NRA Training Counselor. There are several of you folks offering a lot of good training in the eastern Nebraska area and it will never be my intention to "horn" in on that.

Don't worry!  More instructors around here teaching more NRA classes would be good---because you are right, there aren't enough classes around.

I had completely forgotten that the RSO course (correspondence, that is) is instructor-only.  Whoops!

Not everyone is an NRA CRSO and able to teach the NRA RSO course. I was thinking that one might be a good one to offer without stepping on toes, as it were.

There are a number of clubs and ranges that require or find it helpful for their range/match operators to have the RSO certification. Some even require basic first aid and CPR for RO's.

That is a really good point---I don't recall the last time I saw a RSO course offered around here.  And more people trained on range safety is good.

Some of what I can do is Firearm Safety in the Home, Personal Protection in the Home and of course the Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun diciplines.

I would not be limited to eastern Nebraska either. If there is enough interest in other parts of the state I would do that as well.

Part of the problem was that I was misreading what you meant---my brain translated it as instructor courses, not regular courses.  And I'm always up for adding more instructor courses.  :)

I hope plenty of people have you teach for them---the NRA standard courses are good ones for people.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 08:50:55 AM »
Part of the problem was that I was misreading what you meant---my brain translated it as instructor courses, not regular courses.  And I'm always up for adding more instructor courses.  :)

I think NE Bull and I might have contributed to that. 

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 09:20:45 AM »
What I am looking for is whatever NRA certs I need for Boy Scout firearm related outings. I will check into it and find out what I need for sure.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 12:51:39 PM »
What I am looking for is whatever NRA certs I need for Boy Scout firearm related outings. I will check into it and find out what I need for sure.

NE Bull:

What you will need is:

NRA Rifle and/or Shotgun Instructor Certification   [If you wish to serve as an instructor on
          the  firing line.]
   NRA RSO Certification  [If you wish to serve as a Range Safety Officer on the firing line.]
   Youth Protection Training   [For the level of Scouting in which you wish to participate:
          Cubs/Scouts/Venturing.    Can be completed by on-line training.]

You'll also need BSA Merit Badge Certification    [Rifle/Shotgun   Forget about Pistol:  Not for
           Cubs/Scouts] if you wish to sign off on BSA Merit Badges.

The person who can help you most with the details about BSA requirements is:
   Don Williamson - Chair, BSA Mid-America Council Shooting Sports Committee

A person (in Lincoln) who can provide you with all the NRA training required is:
   Terry Lane Fitzgerald  [Nebraska's Buffalo Bill and an NFOA Forum member]

On occasion, I will run an NRA Certified RSO class, but am a lazy guy and will usually want the customers to organize the class:  Get the group together; pick a place and a date.    Then all I have to do is come and teach it.   But--It's Really a Good One.    Try Terry Lane first. 

sfg
Member -  BSA Mid-America Council Shooting Sports Committee 

« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 01:22:17 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 04:00:53 PM »
Thanx for the info, sfg!! I have been in contact with Terry, we just never can get dates to line up (mostly because of scout stuff ;)   I have the Youth Protection done (already leading), along with BSA MAC 'shooting sports' certification(?)(took some class in Iowa). One of the local troops wanted to go muzzleloader shooting out west, but had to find someone with all these certifications. So I thought before my Webelos move on to Boy Scouts I would try to get everything I needed, cause ya know me, If I have my way they will ALL know how to shoot before they ever reach Eagle!! 

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2011, 04:36:48 PM »
Good On Ya', NE Bull.

Looks Like You've Got a Jump Start Toward Your Goals.

And......Please Allow Me to State That You are Serving a Most Worthy Cause.   Many, many Shooters and Outdoorsmen got their start with some form of Scouting.

[Glad you're in contact w/Terry Lane.   He's super.]

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2011, 05:20:23 AM »
Sorry to have hijacked your thread, Mr Scribe. Kinda took a left turn there. 
Any courses you could provide, I think would be appreciated.