< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Constitutional Carry in Nebraska! ~~POLL~~  (Read 3972 times)

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Constitutional Carry in Nebraska! ~~POLL~~
« on: December 31, 2011, 09:45:36 AM »
Please vote and post your opinions.

Thanks!!    :D
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 09:48:05 AM by FarmerRick »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Constitutional Carry in Nebraska! ~~POLL~~
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 10:12:15 AM »
I support this, but it will be a dog fight for sure, we need to get the Castle Doctrine bill passed first and then go for this...

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 10:24:33 AM »
I support Constitutional carry, but I think we're going to be tied up with a lot of other leftovers from last session.  Just my .02 on what I personally would like to see prioritized:

1.  Victim Protection Act
2.  Fending off another attempt by Ashford to require secure storage (I'm sure he's going to try to force this through again)
3.  Uniform CHP signage

I think it's a great idea, if we have the resources.  We had an awful lot on our plate last year, though, and a lot of it is still outstanding.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 10:29:36 AM »
I support Constitutional carry, but I think we're going to be tied up with a lot of other leftovers from last session.  Just my .02 on what I personally would like to see prioritized:

1.  Victim Protection Act
2.  Fending off another attempt by Ashford to require secure storage (I'm sure he's going to try to force this through again)
3.  Uniform CHP signage

I think it's a great idea, if we have the resources.  We had an awful lot on our plate last year, though, and a lot of it is still outstanding.

I agree, and I don't think that a bill should even be introduced this year.  I DO think it's time to at least get started on it.  It will surely be an uphill fight, but one that is more than worthwhile.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 10:36:23 AM »
I think getting the government to honor the already established Constitutional Carry is the ultimate goal, but there are paths we've started down that we need to complete.  Victim Protection and signage, and getting Omaha to declare itself an independent city-state so we don't have to put up with them anymore  ;D

There, I fixed mine Dan.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 03:00:11 PM by HuskerXDM »
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 10:44:28 AM »

Agree and Agree. We could start kickin around the idea with in our own camp, but let's throw all our weight at the VPA and signage this year.  Constitutional Carry is probably something we would never get passed here in Nebraska, but on the other hand it might get us to a compromise that ends up better than what we have now.  (Learned from years in the used car business; Ask for everything the auto is worth, accept what you need to cover the cost and make a little profit) ;)
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 11:06:23 AM »
poll fail

We already have Constitutional Carry for all the good it has done.

I-1. Statement of rights.

All persons are by nature free and independent, and have certain inherent and inalienable rights; among these are life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness, and the right to keep and bear arms for security or defense of self, family, home, and others, and for lawful common defense, hunting, recreational use, and all other lawful purposes, and such rights shall not be denied or infringed by the state or any subdivision thereof. To secure these rights, and the protection of property, governments are instituted among people, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.
Source

Neb. Const. art. I, sec. 1 (1875);
    Amended 1988, Initiative Measure No. 403.

Now if we can pass a bill that forces the powers that be to honor the state constitution...
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 11:42:14 AM »
I haven't been around the forum for awhile, until recently, so perhaps this has been discussed before.  However, for the sake of the poll accuracy, it might be a good idea to explain what is meant by a Constitutional Carry Bill.
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 05:47:10 PM »
I think Castle Doctrine and Uniform Signage should be tackled first... personally.

Uniform Signage is perhaps the easiest (i guess ???) ... and would really help.  I hate walking up to a new store and looking like an idiot for a minute while i read the trillion signs they have on their doors / windows to see if there's a tiny no carry sign etc.

And Castle Doctrine is... well... covers everyone rather than just those that want to carry.  Having to worry about legal percussions in your own home in the middle of the night is b.s..
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 06:12:21 PM »
Constitutional Carry has been implemented in Arizona, Alaska, Wyoming and of course Vermont.   It has been introduced in Iowa, Georgia, Colorado and many other states.

Story about the law in Wyoming: http://wyofile.com/2011/03/wyoming-guns-without-permit/

Wiki page on Constitutional or "Unrestricted" Carry:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unrestricted_carry

Basically, it is a recognition of the 2nd Amendment as the right to carry a concealed weapon without need for a permit from the sate.

Novel idea, eh?   ;)

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 03:47:07 PM »
I seem to be outnumbered here on this one. I voted no because there are too many people inexperienced with guns who would carry concealed and not be smart about it. They would not always use a holster, not use bullets meant for defense(meaning over penetration and possible injury of other people around), limited knowledge of their gun could mean they are a less than ideal shot also resulting in injury to others. And with no training on how to properly draw could alert the criminal they have a gun before they can unholster and make sure the weapon is ready to go (probably don't make sure it is always locked and loaded with safety off) meaning Mr./Mrs. bad person shoots them first. Scares me to picture some kid who was given his dads gun trying to be cool and showing it off in public. Too many accidents waiting to happen in my opinion. I turn 21 in less than 3 months and plan on getting a .22 pistol to learn my basics and gain enough confidence to make difficult shots before even getting a ccw pistol or training. My $.02 take it or leave it

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 05:02:33 PM »
I'm going to abstain on this one.  In theory, I agree with the idea that anyone who can legally own a gun ought to be able to carry it, concealed or not.  On the other hand, I shudder to think how many people without a clue might decide to start packin' if they were allowed to do it concealed, no questions asked.

Since my renewed permit is good for another five years from today, I don't think I'll worry about it for now.
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 05:11:19 PM »
There are no government hoops to jump though in order to open carry in Nebraska(I know, except in Obamaha), why should I be forced to jump through hoops if I want to cover my weapon with a shirt or jacket?

Offline Supersparky

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, 07:20:48 PM »
Nebraska's shooting qualification to obtain a CCW can be passed by someone who has never even shot a handgun before.  I witnessed it at the class I took.  I don't really see the difference between constitutional or carry by permit in terms of people being experienced.  You are always going to have the people that train and the people that just get by, laws are not going to change that.

Offline WallPhone

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 02:32:29 PM »
It's embarrassing that Nebraska was one of the last states to adopt shall-issue, just like we're behind the curve on Victim Protection and one of the last states to adopt a safe-haven law. (Boy did we mess THAT one up...)

Time to be proactive.

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2012, 11:24:10 AM »
I seem to be outnumbered here on this one. I voted no because there are too many people inexperienced with guns who would carry concealed and not be smart about it. They would not always use a holster, not use bullets meant for defense(meaning over penetration and possible injury of other people around), limited knowledge of their gun could mean they are a less than ideal shot also resulting in injury to others. And with no training on how to properly draw could alert the criminal they have a gun before they can unholster and make sure the weapon is ready to go (probably don't make sure it is always locked and loaded with safety off) meaning Mr./Mrs. bad person shoots them first. Scares me to picture some kid who was given his dads gun trying to be cool and showing it off in public. Too many accidents waiting to happen in my opinion. I turn 21 in less than 3 months and plan on getting a .22 pistol to learn my basics and gain enough confidence to make difficult shots before even getting a ccw pistol or training. My $.02 take it or leave it

Hehe yes indeed you are  ;)
Here's the deal. We have a constitutional right to carry weapons and asking the government for permission in order to exercise my rights makes those rights nothing but privileges. Then on top of asking permission they charge us a $100 fee to exercise said right along with mandating costly training that not everyone can afford. This comes pretty close to the Jim Crow laws don't ya think? Poll taxes in order to exercise your right to vote, Intelligence test to exercise your right to vote (all aimed towards poor blacks). In the same way the govt is discriminating against the poor and discouraging many from carrying firearms here in Nebraska today. This is one of the main reasons why I think our CCW numbers are so low here.......cost. And many of my gun owning friends have told me that is one of the main reasons they have not sought the permit.

In short........the Nebraska Handgun Permit Act really is a violation of our constitutional rights, however it is an improvement over the conditions we endured before this law was passed, so we took what we could get..........for now.

To address some of the points you raised, some states don't even let you own "self defense" bullets (hollow points). New Jersey would be one that comes to mind and if i remember correctly its a felony just to possess these. Obviously those laws are wrong, but my point is bullets are bullets. They are dangerous no matter what, over penetration is less of an issue if you can't even make every shot hit the target which police forces are well known for. And I do believe that several agencies out in the northeast states don't use hollow points but round nose but i could be wrong on that. Same thing I think is the case in all of Europe and most of the world. Again, please correct me if i'm wrong.

Even our well trained ex security guard Walgreen's hero (God bless him) fired 8 rounds and made 4 hit the gunman, course we could say 5 since an additional round went into the shotgun barrel, but regardless 3 bullets went to whatever was behind the bad guy.

As i have said in another post we need to recognize people's rights and allow no permit carry. If people break the law and hurt someone then we should punish them, but leave people alone that are minding their own business and not harming anyone by carrying concealed. To mitigate the accidents society needs to promote gun education/safety from an early age (including stuff like Eddie Eagle in Elemenatary), making Gun Safety 101 mandatory in High School and College/University. That's what I believe, take it or leave it  ;)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 11:31:08 AM by DanClrk51 »

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2012, 11:26:22 AM »
I'm going to abstain on this one.  In theory, I agree with the idea that anyone who can legally own a gun ought to be able to carry it, concealed or not.  On the other hand, I shudder to think how many people without a clue might decide to start packin' if they were allowed to do it concealed, no questions asked.

Since my renewed permit is good for another five years from today, I don't think I'll worry about it for now.

You are being reasonable and responsible in your approach to CC, I applaud that. However I disagree with you on 2 grounds, one practical and one in principle. First, this is fundamentally the same argument used against the current wave of Concealed carry over the last 20yrs: 'Everyone will have guns and there will be shoot-outs in the parking lots every day!' It hasn't happened. At all. More meaningful, it hasn't happened with Constitutional carry in Vermont, Alaska, Arizona (remember, Phoenix is a BIG city) or Wyoming. So the facts don't support your concerns.

Second, these Constitutional carry laws are merely recognizing the fact that the 2A already protects these rights (not grants them). Liberty IS a little scary- we have to depend on others to do the right thing with their freedoms- and if not they should be severely punished.  As beneficial as 'shall-issue' laws are they're still infringement, plain & simple. Should you have to pass a 'course' prior to speaking your mind (exercising 1st Amendment) or have authorities issue you a permit to attend church? No, that is not Liberty.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2012, 04:07:34 PM »
Btw- could be a 5th added to the list? (the article mistakenly omits Wyoming)
NH considers making gun licenses optional:
http://articles.boston.com/2012-01-02/news/30581749_1_gun-licenses-gun-owners-bill
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2012, 05:02:09 PM »
Hardwood83:

I'm not sure why my quote was included in your earlier post.  I certainly did not make any dire predictions about bloodshed in the streets.  I don't expect that there would be a lot of problems, and I agree that the CHP training is pretty basic and easy to pass, but still, some training is undoubtedly better than none.  You could get people out there carrying that don't know the first thing about a gun.  At least, in the course and test I took, you had to be able to load and fire the gun by yourself, and hit the man-sized target at least a few times.  There are undoubtedly people out there naive enough to think that all you have to know is how to point it in the general direction and pull the trigger.  Any worries I have are oriented more toward accidents than people indiscriminately shooting at others intentionally.  I think those are valid concerns.

Still, I didn't say we shouldn't do it, just that I'm not voting in the poll.  You could say it's a selfish attitude, but since I paid my dues and got my permit, I don't see it as a huge problem for others to do the same.  I would agree that the cost is an issue.  I don't know if we could expect training for much less than what is available, but I think the permit itself could be much cheaper.

Offline Dtrain323i

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2012, 11:54:55 AM »
I support it and I'll be fine if NFOA lobbies for it, but I think we have other things we should accomplish first vis a vis true castle doctrine/stand your ground law and getting rid of the legal weight "no guns" signs carry. If a private property owners wants to put up a sign, that's his business. But we shouldn't have to face arrest if we don't see it.