< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: C&R FFL  (Read 1651 times)

Offline gwilly

• NFOA Full Member
C&R FFL
« on: December 06, 2011, 09:22:58 AM »
I normally lurk a lot around here :-\ & was looking for some info on C&R FFLs.... did a search ....didn't get any hits.
Anybody here have a C&R FFL? I recently sent in the paperwork for mine. I'm looking for dealers online & off that know what they are & will accept them for purchases that qualify.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: C&R FFL
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 09:49:55 AM »
i was thinking about getting a C&R, but haven't yet.  too many other things to buy first.  there's a few C&R holders here.  they will post soon.  what are you looking to get as your first C&R purchase?
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline gwilly

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 10:14:07 AM »
Hi & thanks RH!
I'm looking for a Mosin–Nagant 1891 or maybe a dragoon. Primarily because they are affordable & so is the ammo. I find their history interesting & wouldn't mind owning a small bit of it.
Plus, cleaning one up....inspecting it.....they gotta be a blast to shoot!!

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 10:43:06 AM »
I have one.  AIM Surplus is a good source, as is Allan's Armory, J&G Sales, and a few others.  A good resource is surplusrifleforum.com.  They should have a list of vendors that accept C&R's.

Offline gwilly

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 11:14:09 AM »
Thanks for the leads bk!
The surplusrifleforum.com is new to me & looks to be a great source of information!

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 04:00:10 PM »
i got my Mosin M91/30 from Cabelas.  it was free b/c i used all my points up.  i have taken her to quite a few vintage rifle matches and have been beaten quite badly.

if i were to look for another C&R type gun, i would want something either A. cheap to shoot, etc or B. something unique.  for some reason Japanese Arisaka's with the chrysanthemum still visible or some type of Mauser, maybe Iranian but made by BRNO.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 06:30:06 PM »
Look into a Finn Mosin.  Cheap to shoot, accurate, and fairly unique.

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 06:00:32 AM »
if i were to look for another C&R type gun, i would want something either A. cheap to shoot, etc or B. something unique.  for some reason Japanese Arisaka's with the chrysanthemum still visible or some type of Mauser, maybe Iranian but made by BRNO.
If you were to be interested in a very nice Arisaka Type 99 but with the Mum ground off I know where one is. The Mum being off keeps the price of this gun from being on the high side. Otherwise its a very clean example. Chrome plated bore and such.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 03:43:09 PM »
hmm.. i kinda want the mum still on it.  kinda adds to the history of it.  does the bolt match the rest of the gun?

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 10:29:42 AM »
I have one.  AIM Surplus is a good source, as is Allan's Armory, J&G Sales, and a few others.  A good resource is surplusrifleforum.com.  They should have a list of vendors that accept C&R's.

Could you provide a little information about the annual inspections? I'm a little leery of feds coming in and inspecting my firearms, but on the other hand I would sure like to be able to order C&R firearms through the mail...

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 01:20:44 PM »
There are no annual inspections on a C&R.  They can request to inspect your bound book, but it rarely happens.  I onow a few guys with the license and none of them have been inspected. 

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2011, 01:30:39 PM »
Here you go Rob.  Stock has been sporterized but you might be able to find a replacement somewhere.  Looks like the rest of it is intact including the mum.

http://www.allans-armory.com/aaresult.php?PageId=37

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2011, 02:35:13 PM »
ugh!  sporterized?  i think thats just terrible.... ruined history.  ill pass on that now.  wrong time of the year to buy myself stuff.  you know how that goes......

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2011, 02:54:56 PM »
Yeah, but at least it's just the stock.  If you could find a replacement it would be easy to return it back to original.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2011, 05:44:58 PM »
i know, but i have some other things to buy first.  its tempting, though.

Offline RANGER 01

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2011, 11:43:19 PM »
My C&R FFL took 94 days to get but I got the $30.00 back on the first C&R purchase. I was able to very easily get a firearm shipped from another state.
Dick
My Oath, taken in 1959, to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic,still STANDS

Offline gwilly

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2011, 10:46:48 AM »
My C&R arrived this week......29 days from when I sent in the application. I've spent my evenings trying to sort out what the 1st purchase with it will be.  ;D
Are there other suppliers besides MidwayUSA that will set up a dealer account for C&Rs?

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2011, 10:54:07 AM »
Graf's offers some really good discounts.  Midway used to, but these days their "dealer" discount is usually the same as regular price.

I still vote for the Finn Mosin.  My all time favorite C&R rifle.  www.gunsnammo.com has some really good deals on them:

If you want something a little out of the ordinary I just posted in another thread about the Argentine Mausers at www.reconord.com.  Rifles starting at $175 with a stripped bolt, $90 for the bolt repair kit. 

Offline gwilly

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2011, 11:03:49 AM »
Graf's offers some really good discounts.  Midway used to, but these days their "dealer" discount is usually the same as regular price.

I still vote for the Finn Mosin.  My all time favorite C&R rifle.  www.gunsnammo.com has some really good deals on them:

If you want something a little out of the ordinary I just posted in another thread about the Argentine Mausers at www.reconord.com.  Rifles starting at $175 with a stripped bolt, $90 for the bolt repair kit.

Thanks, I'll check Grafs. I do like those M-39s & I saw the thread with the Argentine Mausers! At the moment I'm on the trail of an ex-dragoon locally....we'll see..... 8)