< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Found this interesting. Said WTF?  (Read 665 times)

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
Found this interesting. Said WTF?
« on: January 18, 2012, 07:56:16 AM »
Saw this on Fox news today.  Isn't this illegal?

The New York Police Department is working with the Department of Defense to further crack down on illegal guns in the city by researching technology that could detect concealed weapons on people as they walk down the street.
Infrared rays would scan a “form of radiation emitted from the body” on a person carrying a gun on the city’s streets, New York Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said Tuesday at a State of the NYPD event, the New York Post reports.
The technology, known as terahertz imaging detection, works on the basis that the rays cannot pass through metal, thereby creating a digital outline of where a gun is hiding on someone. And it can measure energy radiating off a body from up to 16 feet away, CBS New York reports.
Kelly told the audience that the scanner would be used only when reasonable suspicious circumstances called for it and could decrease the instances of stop-and-frisks on the street, according to the TV station.
But the news also has raised privacy concerns.
“It’s worrisome. It implicates privacy, the right to walk down the street without being subjected to a virtual pat-down by the Police Department when you’re doing nothing wrong,” the New York Civil Liberties Union's Donna Lieberman told CBS New York.
The Post reports the scanners would be mounted on NYPD vans, with the rays aiming at people on the street.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/01/17/nypd-researching-gun-scanning-technology-for-city-streets/?test=latestnews#ixzz1jolnc4Mn

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Found this interesting. Said WTF?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 08:06:37 AM »
Given that the courts have shot down using infrared scanning to find marijuana grow houses, I'd be surprised if that would hold up to a court challenge.  If they had probable cause or a search warrant, it might be considered legal.  However, there is a big difference between being on the street and being in your own home, so it could go either way.  I don't know the science of this, but my concern would be the health risks of these machines.
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 07:41:48 PM »
The devices only gather energy that your body radiates naturally, and as I understand it is designed to be used only in public places where one has no (legal) expectation of privacy.   TSA looked at the technology for a while some time back, but I have heard nothing about it since then. 

Admittedly New York has a real problem with illegally concealed firearms (read as major crime problem), and in that ultimately gun-unfriendly state where only select few are allowed to legally carry concealed you can bet that the system will keep the cops busy.

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 10:05:41 PM »
Kelly told the audience that the scanner would be used only when reasonable suspicious circumstances called for it and could decrease the instances of stop-and-frisks on the street, according to the TV station.

"I won't use this power you just gave me, honest, wink wink".

Sigh.

Also ..... this reminds me of the "Does Concealed Carry give right to search" thread @ nfoa as well:

http://nebraskafirearms.org/forum/index.php/topic,4659.0.html

sigh.

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D