< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: One of the many reasons I despise Hollywood  (Read 1430 times)

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
One of the many reasons I despise Hollywood
« on: January 09, 2012, 04:43:45 PM »
There is much that comes out of Hollywood which I despise.  For example, I can't stand to watch any movies (new or old) from Tom Cruise or Mel Gibson due to their shenanigans.  One of the things that I find disconcerting is the false information that is presented to the public when it comes to firearms.  An example would be from the "Killer Elite" poster...

Finger on the trigger while he racks the slide.

I have to admit that at least the poster showed one actor properly handling an AR-15/M4...

Some of the other things that irk me on the little and big screens...
  • Poor muzzle awareness.  I've seen countless actors use the firearm as a pointing device.
  • Racking the slide multiple times before it is fired.  Surprisingly a round is never ejected.
  • Finger on the trigger, as in the photo above.
  • Tea cupping a semi-auto pistol.
One of the funniest ones I saw was an old black and white movie where the detective, being puzzled by the clues at hand, takes his revolver and scratches his head with the muzzle.  A more modern example would be in the first Sherlock Holmes movie (starring Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law) where Jude Law's character puts the muzzle of a revolver to his mouth to tell Sherlock to be quite just as a person would put his index finger to his mouth to shush someone.

Fly
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 08:52:34 PM by OnTheFly »
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
Re: One of the many reasons I despise Hollywood
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 05:11:42 PM »
There's no shortage of ignorance in Hollywood.  (But they do know enough to us non-glamour types how we should live our lives.) 

Anybody remember Brandon Lee (The Crow) when he blasted hisself in the head with a blank cartridge? 

Still I do like "Heat", violent as it was.  Except when the Dodge truck got shot. 

Pacino did a press check before they entered the snitch's apartment.  I was impressed by that.
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 06:54:45 PM »
I see nothing wrong with some of the things that piss you off about the movies.  It may be stupid for someone to do those things, but it doesn't make them unbelievable (except maybe for the multiple racking with no shell ejection, but it could have been a malfunction).  I can't believe you didn't mention firing 20 or 30 rounds from a six-shooter without reloading (or more rounds from any kind of gun than it actually holds).  Or, the "knock the guy back 15 feet when he's hit by a bullet" scene.  These aren't supposed to be training films afterall, and most of the things you didn't like, though stupid, probably happen in real life more than you'd like to think (unfortunately).  They're just entertainment, not reality, unless perhaps it's a documentary film of some kind.  :)
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 08:52:04 PM »
Many of those actors are anti-gun because "guns kill children", when in reality they may have contributed to those deaths by their display of poor firearms safety.

Regardless of whether the movie is a serious drama or an action flick, many actors portray police officers, FBI, DEA, armed forces, etc. and they are doing a piss poor job of it.  If my job was to depict a character, I would do it a hell of a lot better job than most of those "actors".  While I detest Tom Cruise, I have to give him credit for his portrayal of the antagonist in "Collateral".  The Briefcase scene seems to be quite well done.

Fly

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 07:27:30 AM »
I have more of a problem with their hypocrisy than anything.  They make millions playing with guns in the movies and on tv, yet most of them think us peasants shouldn't own them.

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 08:29:50 AM »
I agree, many hypocrites, but not all of them; remember Charlton Heston.  :)
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 08:39:10 AM »
I have more of a problem with their hypocrisy than anything.  They make millions playing with guns in the movies and on tv, yet most of them think us peasants shouldn't own them.

Thy hypocrisy doesn't just end at the movie theater.  Many of these Hollywood folk denounce firearm ownership, yet they own guns of employ armed bodyguards themselves.  It is ok for them because they are important.

I agree, many hypocrites, but not all of them; remember Charlton Heston.  :)
There are a few on the side of gun owners, but not enough that will speak up for fear of not being employed.  Tom Selleck and Joe Mantegna are a couple that come to mind.

Fly

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 07:04:01 PM »
Glad to hear Tom Selleck is one of them.  I really didn't know, but I like him in most of his roles.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 07:46:53 PM »
Glad to hear Tom Selleck is one of them.  I really didn't know, but I like him in most of his roles.

After Quigley Down Under came out Tom Selleck donated the Shiloh Sharps rifle used in the movie to the NRA for a fundraising auction.  He's one of the good guys. 

I need to watch that movie again, for about the 400th time.  It's the reason I own a Sharps.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 07:17:42 AM »
Selleck is a long time board member of the NRA.  Pay particular attention to his gun handling skills in the Jessie Stone series and you can see he's had lots of training.  And last I could tell, he carries a "Gunsite" 1911.

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 07:35:26 AM »
Love that movie, too.  :)

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 08:18:42 AM »

After Quigley Down Under came out Tom Selleck donated the Shiloh Sharps rifle used in the movie to the NRA for a fundraising auction.  He's one of the good guys. 

I need to watch that movie again, for about the 400th time.  It's the reason I own a Sharps.
The same reason my brother has his down payment ready, and has it figured if he keeps his part time job at the liquor store, and puts it all away, he should have the rest by the time they get it done...  ::)  ( and the reason i keep yelling him to do it, so I can shoot it!!   ;D

@ bullit:  http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Jesse_Stone:_Death_in_Paradise  I reference this for giggles and if I see a gun in film that interest me.

Mark Wahlberg, Now there is an actor that really irks me. He has made some great 'shooter' movies, but is a staunch supporter of gun-control. He has went as far as to say he would like to see them all taken away!!

And who here has wasted to money on "Shoot 'em Up" ? Now there is some hanguns that seem to never run out of ammo, and a whole lot of shooting just fo rthe sake of shooting!  I will say, though,  the pistol with the Bio-safety is a very interesting concept.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 08:24:58 AM by NE Bull »
β€œIt is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 09:12:58 AM »
Yep NE Bull.  I meant to be more specific on the S&W 1911 PD Gunsite edition.  Thanks