< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Gun show tax?  (Read 1834 times)

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
Gun show tax?
« on: January 17, 2012, 06:00:12 PM »
Quick question that I thought of for no apparent reason. If I go to buy a gun/anything at a gun show do I have to pay tax on it? My guess is I would only have to pay tax on items that a business, like Exeter Arms, sells. Am I correct on assuming that? May help me justify buying high dollar guns from people knowing I won't have an extra $60 or $70 bucks.

Gracias

A-FIXER

Re: Gun show tax?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 06:55:39 PM »
Sometimes you do, I mostly see that independent seller sell flat out on price while haggling then the some of the business do but then some do not.

Offline metaldoc

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 07:42:46 PM »
That seemed to be the question of the day at the gun shows I made it to this year with prospective buyers regularly asking the vendor if they charged sales tax.  The majority of them did but then they were also dealers.  If you're in business and have the sales tax permit, one way or the other the tax gets paid and most dealers are reluctant to eat it.   

Somebody just getting a table to see what he can sell or trade as part of their hobby probably wouldn't have a sales tax permit, so they won't be charging it.  (At least they shouldn't... that would spell big trouble if they got caught)

Looking for those sellers can save you some serious dollars.

Offline Rob B

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 09:30:59 PM »
Nebr Law says you WILL PAY SALES TAX. At the gunshow I am working, the operators have the taxID and the vendors report thier sales and provide the tax, if they don't have their own permit. Out of your home you do not have to collect, but OUTSIDE your home you ,as a vendor are responsible for  the tax.....Or so it was explained to me....

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 12:46:20 AM »
I think it depends on the venue. Smaller shows like Millard tend to have some non-dealer sellers and I've not had to pay them sales tax.

Offline Rob B

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 06:26:35 AM »
They just haven't had the tax lady walking around checking permits and final result. :)

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 06:32:00 AM »
I'm pretty sure one would have to obtain a tax ID number in order to collect tax.

I don't have one, and I don't charge tax when I have a table at a gun show. 
I am however, only selling personal items.  It is not my "business".

YMMV
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 06:42:09 AM »
FarmerRick will now have Black helos circling his place tonight and DEVGRU raiding his coffers for sales tax.....   :)

Offline metaldoc

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 10:08:44 AM »
I'm pretty sure one would have to obtain a tax ID number in order to collect tax.

I don't have one, and I don't charge tax when I have a table at a gun show. 
I am however, only selling personal items.  It is not my "business".

YMMV

Nebraska sales tax laws do allow an exemption for "occasional sales".   However it looks like selling at a gunshow would not meet the criteria of the law.

REG-1-022 OCCASIONAL SALES
022.06 Occasional sale includes a sale of household goods and personal effects by an individual when such property was originally acquired and used for personal use. All such sales must occur at an individual's residence and may include the property of more than one person.

022.06A Such sales may not be held on more than three days during a calendar year at any residence.

022.06B Such sales may not include property of a type which is similar to that sold by the individual or any member of his household in a trade or business.

http://www.revenue.ne.gov/legal/regs/slstaxregs.html#022

So it looks like it's a matter of  if the "tax lady" walks around and discovers you.  Not sure how they can make you collect sales tax if you don't have a sales tax ID number though...

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 10:36:30 AM »
I'm not certain of the proper procedures, but other than 3 garage sales per year (as noted above), I'm pretty sure you are supposed to collect the tax.  I don't know how you go about it (tax IDs, turning it in, etc.).
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline Rob B

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 10:58:58 AM »
A&H, yep, you are supposed to collect it, send it in. We had this discussion 3 mo ago with the operators of a gun show. I have a number so for me it was no big deal(tried selling bows at a gun show,no sale)