< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Why no handloads for the class?  (Read 3617 times)

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
Re: Why no handloads for the class?
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2012, 04:18:36 PM »
Here is a pic

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2012, 04:52:07 PM »
I know 2 guys on this board who have had Ka-booms with reloads ......

Other than the "taking others time" thing (and I have had an issue during one of the IDPA mini-matches they used to have  at a local indoor rangewith ammo I bought at the range ) and the liability thing, there is also the idea that holding a class at your range might help sell some ammo ...... allowing reloads negates this possibility.  I don't have a problem with it- that's a business decision and if the market supports it, then it is the right one.

Heroic faith in the invisible hand and in rational self-interest! :)

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2012, 05:08:58 PM »
As a reloader, I have no qualms with using factory ammo for classes.  It's a reasonable request.

For the instructor, it takes a potential unknown out of the situation.  If you loaded a recipe you've tested with and have zero problems with in the past, that's great.... but... the instructor can't go through and verify everyone's ammo is up to operating snuff.  Just be polite and follow the instructor's request.

And if you have FTE / FTF problems, you slow down the entire class.... possibly also annoying everyone.  Factory ammo should in general be much more tolerant all around.

Just consider the extra $20-$50 you have to spend on factory ammo as part of the cost of the class.  As others have echo'd - don't accidentally bring down the quality of the class.

-----

And there are plenty of legal / after-the-fact reasons to not use hand loads in your carry weapon.  Just drop the cash on some really nice self defense ammo.  Shoot at least a magazine so you're aware of how the ammo / firearm will operate... and call it good.
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D