< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Questions about obtaining my CCW  (Read 1334 times)

Offline lunchbox

• Steel Benefactor
Questions about obtaining my CCW
« on: January 27, 2012, 09:25:34 PM »
I received a DUI in Missouri nine years ago and didn't take care of it until two years ago. I received two years of probation which will be ending in May of this year. This was a deferred offense, and as far as I understand it will not be on my record as of May. Will this prohibit me from getting my permit? Also, I work at a brewery in Omaha and was wondering if I do receive my permit, am I allowed to carry there since 100% of our sales are derived from alcohol? That being said...only 5% of our sales are sold directly to the public.Thanks for any info.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: Questions about obtaining my CCW
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 10:18:00 PM »
Lunchbox:

Go here on the Nebraska State Patrol website:  http://statepatrol.nebraska.gov/forms/ccw/CCWRegs.pdf

Go to Section 005 - Permit Eligibility.

Read the requirements.   See if they fit your case.

Now, the Brewery:   If the Brewery allows you to do so and you do not drink a drop of the Brew while carrying a concealed handgun, you'll be OK.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 09:12:43 AM »
Good question.  I'm not sure how they treat DUIs in regard to obtaining a CHP.  If I had to guess, I'd say alcohol was a controlled substance, and since DUI is a violation regarding a controlled substance, it might prevent you from getting a CHP.  I'd apply and see what happens.  Worst case is you wait another year, as the law says "in the last ten years".
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 11:19:16 AM »
You are not eligible because you are currently on probation

005.01I Not currently be on parole, probation, house arrest, or work release for any type of offense of any degree. This disqualification does not include pre-trial diversion unless it is from a jurisdiction which requires the offender to enter a guilty plea before diversion;

When probation ends you should be OK
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline lunchbox

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 11:41:41 PM »
You are not eligible because you are currently on probation

When probation ends you should be OK

I was hoping that was the case. I wasn't planning on applying until June. I suppose I will find out.
Thank you everyone for the info.

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 12:31:23 AM »
I believe that you can call the NSP and get some information about your qualifications. I think it was a $15 charge to have them do a check for eligibility. It would be redone when you actually go for your permit, but would save you the wait to find out it was not approved.