< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: 24 Hour Sniper Adventure Challenge  (Read 12694 times)

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
Re: 24 Hour Sniper Adventure Challenge
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2012, 09:46:36 PM »
@jth

It does look like a lot of fun.

Do you not have time for training or time to go to the high desert for two days? 

I guess if anyone was serious about doing it, we could post up our skillset strengths and weaknesses and see if we could get a match between two people.

Me, I'm really short on the long-range stuff.  :D  I have a rifle that would probably do the trick but I just got it put together and haven't spent any quality time with it yet.  I also have no real lock-picking skills, beyond the basic credit card in the door latch kind of stuff.

@20nickels

I'm good with carbines and with a long-range, precision instrument but need some time behind the trigger.  I guess it isn't until July.

I think I have most of the rest of the gear, but might want some lighter-weight boots.

Man, I'd love to do this.   But I also don't have the long-range capability/practice.  I've got a gun that I trust to 500-600 yards, but I've NEVER shot it past that.  Matter of fact, I've never shot at anything farther than 600 yards away.  And I don't practice even mid-range stuff like that very often.  I only got my precision rifle because I didn't want to use iron sights on bowling pins at 200 yards in the Weeping Water 3-Gun matches!  :)

My carbine work (from close-range to mid-range) is pretty good, and my pistol skills are good enough.  So I could hold up that end (well, enough to participate, though maybe not enough to keep from embarrassment :) ) but I'd need a long-range partner.

I'd have to get some more gear, though I just got everything I need to build a "Hellcat" ruck.  (http://libertytreeblogs.blogspot.com/2011/04/building-hellcat-hybrid-ruck-from-us.html) My lockpicking is rusty (very!), my knot tying is adequate, my assault tactics are....something (haven't assaulted anything recently!) my land navigation is....[sigh]  rusty.

Man, it has been awhile since I've done some of these things.  I'd still love to do it, but I dunno....maybe those who are interested should get together this summer for some work/practice and then we should all go next year.  :)
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2012, 09:19:34 AM »
Tom, I think we're in about the same boat, but I still think it'd be fun.  Say we miss a few targets at 1200 yards.  So what?  There's time between now and then to practice a few things ... long-range precision shooting, lock picking, land nav, knots ... it's not 'til the end of July.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2012, 08:25:02 AM »
Bringing this back up to the top.  This year's event kicks off tomorrow.  Who's interested in starting now to prepare for next year's event?

Ideally, I'm looking for a teammate who has the long-range, precision shooting skills.  That's an area of shooting weakness for me.

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2012, 09:17:09 AM »
I could be interested in something like this. Looks fun!

My bolt gun is currently undergoing upgrades, but with a stock remmy BBL I've been known to hit well out to 750yrds, never got the chance to stretch it's legs further. It is getting a GA Precision barrelled action installed as soon as it arrives at my FFL. With some practice (with a spotter) I'm sure ~800 and under would be no problem for first round hits, 800-1100ish would probably be do-able, but would usually be second round. An LRF could probably make the effective ranges a bit better.

My handgun is decent, and my carbine is solid. Keep in mind that I do not train for competition, and am not willing to modify the way I do things for a little bit of time off the clock if it will compromise real-world techniques.

Equipment wise, I have pretty much everything you could want for such a venture. Except for the extremely detailed medical kit they want you to carry. Seriously, that thing would be half my load volume. And pen flares are ghey. Sorry, it had to be said.

My land nav is solid. Fitness would be no problem, and hopefully my current health issue will be a non-issue by then. My knot tying is ok. Lock picking is usually done with detcord, bolt cutters, or a cordless dremel, but I would be willing and interested in learning actual lock picking. My general problem solving abilities are usually above par. All small unit tactics are solid, that is what I did for a living for 6 years.

750yrds, 3 consecutive rounds, Factory FGMM 175 SMK: (I've got handloads now-adays)

By wallace11bravo at 2012-07-22

There she is, but she'll look alot different soon enough:

By wallace11bravo at 2012-07-22
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 09:42:02 AM by wallace11bravo »

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2012, 10:46:39 AM »
Wallace, it sounds like you'd be a good fit.  My only gripe about your "qualifications" is that you're in Lincoln ... and I'm in Omaha.  One of the reasons that I'm not doing the challenge this year is that the only guy I could find who was interested was in California.  Not training together ... probably not a good thing.

Not sure if they allow the use of a LRF.  I think part of the challenge is manually working the dope for both the known distance and unknown distance shots.

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2012, 12:47:56 PM »
Are you an ENGC member?

I don't usually use one, so it is no biggie to me. I'm used to and proficient at mil-ranging.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2012, 01:32:58 PM »

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2012, 04:15:27 PM »
As am I.

Given the surplus of digits in the temperatures lately, and other issues, I haven't been up there in about a month. Sundays are the only day that work consistently for me, until after my EMT finals in mid-September. Fridays also work most of the time. If you would like to meet up sometime, I'm game. Call or text 402-405- six two five one

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2012, 04:44:01 PM »
Only half of 36 teams finished, and only a 5-7 of those  completed all required checkpoints. The very first thing was a 100lb duffle carry for 3 miles. I'm sure quite a few teams did not pace themselves with that first load carry, and ended up doing more harm than good.  At least one competitor was hospitalized, and a few others had to drop for pre-existing conditions.

The specifics of the tasks were only known once the competitors reached the stages, so no one knew specifically what to train for, other than 30miles, ~45lbs, 24hrs, and a few other fragmented details.

Just my honest opinion, I think they went a bit overboard on their first year and will probably scale it back next year. No one wants to hold a competition where half the teams don't even finish.

I've done quite a few stress-shoots, the army equivalent of this competition, and this one is definetly more *physically* challenging than any of those.

A typical stress shoot would be 4 man fire teams, full load with 3 days of supplies, so about 75lbs per person. the course would be 12-20 miles long with stations every 2-4 miles. You would move with blanks, but some stations you would switch to live ammo.  You where allowed to make your own packing list, so if you wanted thermals, you could bring em, if you wanted AT assets, you could bring them, but if you didn't then you could leave them at home. They were considered full spectrum, but if you tried to call a fire mission or request CAS, you would always get the "That asset is not available at this time." And there was never any kind of warning of what kind of stations/scenarios they would have.

Some stations where just stop at a firing line, switch to live ammo, and repel an "assault" by pop-up targets. There were also a lot of non-station tasks, such as calling in a front line trace and SITREP every hour. If you forgot an hour, they would add time.

Alot of the stations where reacting to ambush, ied, or indirect fire. There was no instructions or warning, you would be walking along and start taking fire and you take the appropriate actions. If you do everything right (such as spotting the IED, and then taking the appropriate steps to neutralize it), you'll sustain no casualties. If you mess something up (such as freezing in the kill zone), you have to treat and transport a casualty. Which always involved carrying the heaviest guy in your team about 1/2-2 miles, way off the course of the competition. If you screwed up treatment and transport (not taking a covered and concealed route, gap in security), you would start taking indirect, sniper fire, etc. you could take more casualties, or the OCs could just decide to kill off your whole fire team and you where out of the comp. Never happened to me, but I know other team leaders who lost rank after they failed to complete a stress shoot.

I placed fairly well in the one I led a team in right before my last deployment, 4th out of 26ish teams if IIRC. Way back when I was a private on my first stress shoot, we had a kid in one of the other teams drop dead. Some competitions would have the 1st place team coming in at 14ish hours, and the last teams coming in at 30+ hours.  They were a lot of fun, but they sucked at the same time.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 04:50:04 PM by wallace11bravo »

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2012, 09:00:54 AM »
Ever heard of the Spartan Death Race?  Fewer than 10-15% of those who start finish the race.  :D  They've been holding the Death Race competition for three years and it keeps growing in popularity.

Maybe these guys are trying to mirror the Death Race and add shooting problems.

Offline camus

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2012, 11:10:24 PM »
Only half of 36 teams finished, and only a 5-7 of those  completed all required checkpoints.

Doesn't surprise me. I imagine most underestimated the challenge. I would peg 30 miles with gear at 8-9 hours via route, off route with land-nav 2-2.5 times that being generous. That leaves one about 6 hours for all the james bond business.

The Marine Corps will allow you to do this "for free".  Even pay you.  Just report to your local recruiting station for more info.  Semper Fi.

And people pay to do this.  ;D

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2012, 02:01:37 PM »
Bringing this back up to the top.  This year's event kicks off tomorrow.  Who's interested in starting now to prepare for next year's event?

Ideally, I'm looking for a teammate who has the long-range, precision shooting skills.  That's an area of shooting weakness for me.
I'll commit to doing this. I can post my skills when I get off work!

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2012, 12:49:06 PM »
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2014, 03:34:10 PM »
Bringing this back up to the top.  This year's challenge is scheduled for September 5-7 near Douglas, WY (about 45 minutes east of Casper, WY).  Once again, I'm looking for a teammate.

More info on the challenge: http://competition-dynamics.com/sniper-adventure-challenge-2014/

Teammate Criteria:
- Wants to have FUN
- Even-tempered and level-headed
- Competitive but easy going (wants to win but won't throw a fit if something beyond our control prevents or hinders us from winning)
- Fit (must be able to carry a 40-50 lb pack + rifle & pistol for 30+ miles through rocky, mountainous territory at a fast trekking pace)
- Has most of the gear on the personal required gear list: http://competition-dynamics.com/sniper-adventure-challenge-sprint-class-2013/gear.php
- Good to excellent land nav skills
- Preferably lives in the Omaha metro
- Prefer long-range shooter - making me the carbine shooter
- Prefer similar size and weight (5' 10", 160 lbs)
- Prefer previous adventure racing experience
- Prefer some escape and evade training/experience

Shooting comprises approximately 5-10% of the points for this competition.  In theory, a team could miss every target and still win the competition.  So, it's not particularly critical that interested parties be top-notch competitive shooters.  In fact, someone with average shooting skills and top-notch fitness and navigational skills will most likely win.

Once I have a teammate committed, I plan on rounding up some sponsors so don't let the $695 entry fee dissuade you.

One other thing, they are offering a "sprint" class for 2014.  I MIGHT be convinced to do the sprint rather than the full event but I would much rather do the full event.

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2014, 04:15:25 PM »
sounds like what I was doing 40 years ago,but no mountains,. mostly swamp
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2014, 12:01:13 PM »
[Sound of crickets chirping] No one?

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2014, 01:25:03 PM »
[Sound of crickets chirping] No one?
I'd love to do it - my specs:

Teammate Criteria:
- Wants to have FUN (I always have a blast at whatever I do)
- Even-tempered and level-headed (I'm very level headed and even tempered)
- Competitive but easy going (wants to win but won't throw a fit if something beyond our control prevents or hinders us from winning) ( I definitely wont throw a hissy fit or get fussy if I lose, however, I really want to win)
- Fit (must be able to carry a 40-50 lb pack + rifle & pistol for 30+ miles through rocky, mountainous territory at a fast trekking pace) (I'm really chubby at the moment...sitting at 289. The good news is that I'm down from 300 and on my way to 215! I also am not a quitter!
- Has most of the gear on the personal required gear list: http://competition-dynamics.com/sniper-adventure-challenge-sprint-class-2013/gear.php ( I'll have to review this)
- Good to excellent land nav skills (I'm a smart guy, I can learn land nav. Plus I have a cool compass with tritium in it)
- Preferably lives in the Omaha metro (Yes.)
- Prefer long-range shooter - making me the carbine shooter (zero long range shooting experience, no long range rifle)
- Prefer similar size and weight (5' 10", 160 lbs) (6'2", see above for weight)
- Prefer previous adventure racing experience (no adventure racing experience other than one Spartan Race)
- Prefer some escape and evade training/experience (no experience)

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2014, 12:50:08 PM »
The NFOA 24 Hour Sniper Adventure Challenge team after our first workout. 

Five months later ...

« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 06:11:05 PM by Mudinyeri »

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2014, 11:06:51 PM »
Go team! This is going to be a blast. Researching and picking out gear is proving to be very enjoyable.

Offline stutzcattle

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2014, 04:15:59 PM »
tagged