< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Something to ponder for you Zombie Hunters  (Read 2888 times)

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
Re: Something to ponder for you Zombie Hunters
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2012, 01:07:54 PM »
re: armchair commando

someone who discusses firearms, military weaponry, or military tactics while having no personal experience of their own.  typically has done research and possibly has a variety of numbers and figures... but again, no experience.... coupled with an ego or similar douchebaggery.

many are borne out of the gaming generation, thinking that their 'realistic' video games closely mimic reality.

-----

There are plenty of varieties of these types of people regarding different topics (cars and sports come to mind)... you've undoubtedly met similar people at bars concerning a different topic, etc. 

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2012, 01:18:48 PM »
They also wear ballcaps or t-shirts with a Trident or "Delta Force" printed on them. 

Offline altheman2

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2012, 05:26:51 PM »
I dont think the risk of owning zombie ammo is any greater than the risk of owning military style weapons, full capacity mags, or stockpiling ammo. It all seems like it would be used against you in court.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2012, 08:20:32 AM »
I have enjoyed seeing the dialogue on this topic.  Marty replied to my inquiry about "human/humanoid" targets...and I quote "As long as you are participating in training which is simliar to police training, you should be good to go.  For what it is worth, at my school, Firearms Academy of Seattle, we use them a lot." 

The take home lesson of this topic I feel is that we civilians (or even LEOs) need to keep in mind the potential for any area of our lives to be brought into play if involved in a self-defense shooting.  In short, everything will likely but put under the microscope whether in our OPINION it may or may not be a "big deal".  Always, always, always keep in mind who the triers of the facts will be....a jury of your "peers" (of which you may get to testify) or a Grand Jury (in which typically testimony not allowed on your behalf).  CYA..."Can you articulate" is a term Ayoob presents.  Be able to give a logical reason for what you do, did, or would do.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2012, 10:08:44 AM »
I have enjoyed seeing the dialogue on this topic.  Marty replied to my inquiry about "human/humanoid" targets...and I quote "As long as you are participating in training which is simliar to police training, you should be good to go.  For what it is worth, at my school, Firearms Academy of Seattle, we use them a lot." 

I'm thinking that between:

http://www.letargets.com/estylez_item.aspx?item=RLZ-9

and

http://www.letargets.com/estylez_item.aspx?item=USV-8

...any particular prosecutor is going to have a hard time convincing a jury that the zombie target is good evidence that you were just itching to shoot a homeless guy, particularly if the OTHER target is a standard practice target.

Which it is.

The take home lesson of this topic I feel is that we civilians (or even LEOs) need to keep in mind the potential for any area of our lives to be brought into play if involved in a self-defense shooting.  In short, everything will likely but put under the microscope whether in our OPINION it may or may not be a "big deal".  Always, always, always keep in mind who the triers of the facts will be....a jury of your "peers" (of which you may get to testify) or a Grand Jury (in which typically testimony not allowed on your behalf).  CYA..."Can you articulate" is a term Ayoob presents.  Be able to give a logical reason for what you do, did, or would do.

Always a good thing to bear in mind.

That being said, while it might be a good idea to assume that the jury is composed of morons and the prosecuting attorney is a completely convincing genius, nonetheless I think that the idea that zombie targets in your house spells issues in court is still ridiculous.  :)
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2012, 10:18:32 AM »
jt...

Respect your opinion, but having dealt with enough Med Mal cases as an expert witness over the years, I put nothing past attorneys at least "trying".  Anyway, I thought the topic interesting because we live in a illogical world and we CHP holders need to understand and be prepared for even the potentially "insane" argument against us.  It is a court of law (which sadly is dynamic these days i.e. Prop 8 reversal in Kalifornia yesterday), not a court of justice. 

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2012, 07:55:34 PM »
jt...

Respect your opinion, but having dealt with enough Med Mal cases as an expert witness over the years, I put nothing past attorneys at least "trying".  Anyway, I thought the topic interesting because we live in a illogical world and we CHP holders need to understand and be prepared for even the potentially "insane" argument against us.  It is a court of law (which sadly is dynamic these days i.e. Prop 8 reversal in Kalifornia yesterday), not a court of justice. 

I don't doubt that an attorney will completely deconstruct your life and leave no stone unturned.  As jt said, if the prosecutor is brilliant and your attorney has not done their job during jury selection, then who knows what they might try to convince your "peers" of.  Regardless, I feel fairly confident that my defense, though taxing and costly, would be successful.

On an unrelated note (you brought it up, I didn't), the repeal of proposition 8 is not a good example of a lack of justice if that is what you are inferring...IMHO.  This is a legal battle that will be lost by the conservatives and it serves no purpose other than to help the Democrats by driving people away from the Republican, or more conservative candidates.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2012, 06:45:23 AM »
Fly....semantics....

The "people" spoke when they passed Prop 8.  The 9th CIRCUS (yes, I mean CIRCUS) and their 3 radicals who heard the "legal battle/challenge/case" what have you, then  disregarded/pooped on/overturned/repealed the WILL and VOTE of the majority.  I'd say that justice has not been served, but a law "created".   IMHO.....

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2012, 08:35:35 AM »
Fly....semantics....

The "people" spoke when they passed Prop 8.  The 9th CIRCUS (yes, I mean CIRCUS) and their 3 radicals who heard the "legal battle/challenge/case" what have you, then  disregarded/pooped on/overturned/repealed the WILL and VOTE of the majority.  I'd say that justice has not been served, but a law "created".   IMHO.....

Careful bullit.  I'm not sure you want to live in a country where the WILL and VOTE of majority become unchallengeable law.  Even though the WILL and VOTE of the "people" on this issue favor your position, I'd caution you to using majority rule to defend your position.  That sounds frighteningly like a democracy to me.  We're not a democracy, we're a constitutional republic that protects individual rights.  If the WILL and VOTE of the majority was to make private firearms ownership illegal, would you object to a circuit court overturning that proposition - even though it was the WILL of the "people"?  Since you have the moral high ground on your issue, I'd suggest arguing your position from individual rights and morality rather than setting a dangerous precedent of arguing from a position advocating mob rule.  Just my $0.02.

<we now return you to your regularly scheduled zombie thread>
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2012, 09:14:46 AM »
Careful bullit.  I'm not sure you want to live in a country where the WILL and VOTE of majority become unchallengeable law.  Even though the WILL and VOTE of the "people" on this issue favor your position, I'd caution you to using majority rule to defend your position.  That sounds frighteningly like a democracy to me.  We're not a democracy, we're a constitutional republic that protects individual rights.  If the WILL and VOTE of the majority was to make private firearms ownership illegal, would you object to a circuit court overturning that proposition - even though it was the WILL of the "people"?  Since you have the moral high ground on your issue, I'd suggest arguing your position from individual rights and morality rather than setting a dangerous precedent of arguing from a position advocating mob rule.  Just my $0.02.

<we now return you to your regularly scheduled zombie thread>

Thank you Wesley D.  Very eloquently stated.  It does not matter what the popular vote is if the people's opinion is unconstitutional. 

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2012, 09:16:47 AM »
Wesley D.. I understand your comments and agree.  Maybe a bad example, but this has been a fun thread for me.   That being said, you do realize you are NOW wrong about our nation being a Republic.  Proof postive (again) this morning.  Fox News reported this morning and that the leader of the regime has bypassed Congress (again) by waiving "No Child Left Behind" for states.  :)

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2012, 01:20:41 PM »
re: red, blue, no child left behind, republic

Ron Paul! Gary Johnson!

Ignore the pretenders!

FREEEEDOM!%!#! :D
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2012, 02:06:22 PM »
That being said, you do realize you are NOW wrong about our nation being a Republic. 
Touché bullit.  I suppose, I should have said: "We weren't founded as a democracy, we were founded as a constitutional republic that protects individual rights.;)

"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein