< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: LB990 - Change flag display provisions schools/require recitation of the Pledge  (Read 1460 times)

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
    :o HOW DID I MISS THIS?  :o
The following constitutes the reasons for this bill and the purposes which are sought to be
accomplished thereby:
LB990 amends Neb. Rev. Stat. 79-707 to require the display of the flags of the United States
and the State of Nebraska in each classroom of the public schools of this state at the
beginning of the 2012 - 2013 school year. The bill also requires the leading of all pupils in a
group recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag of the United States during the first
class of each day that school is open and in session. LB990 does not place any participatory
requirement on any pupil, nor does it necessarily require any instructor to lead such a group
recitation.

http://nebraskalegislature.gov/FloorDocs/Current/PDF/Intro/LB990.pdf

And one of the main concerns- it will cost soo much to put a Flag in every class room. (you mean to tell me one is not already in every room?  :o  I'm pretty sure I know some folks that would be more than happy to help donate some flags!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 05:21:32 PM by NE Bull »
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
Thinking back to when I was a wee lil unf.....

I think every 'home room' (first class of the day) had a flag, and I believe even through high school we did the pledge.

Note: navy brat, spent much of my life in many different schools.
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
Bull - I was a Network Administrator at a local public high school here in Omaha last summer.  Noticed that a couple of rooms did not have the American flag.  1 had the Mexican flag, another had a communist flag, and a couple more didn't have any flags at all.  None of the rooms had GO BIG RED flags (that is our state flag isn't it?).  Actually, none of the rooms had our state flag.  So I asked the principal why no American flags in all the rooms and he couldn't give me a straight answer.  Did some research and the noted rooms were scheduled history classes.  I'm assuming that could be a part of the reason.

Also it should mention that there were a lot of people who wouldn't or couldn't speak english, and that really bothers me along with the flags.  Since I'm retired military who servered in Desert Shield/Storm, I couldn't accept the job because of the environment.  I would have ended up saying something to somebody and regret it (use a lot of adjectives when talking).

It should be noted, when stationed overseas, I did try learn that country's language and in some cases, got pretty good.

Won't get into how many local police and Sheriff's were there all the time.

Bernie
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 10:57:21 AM by Lmbass14 »

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
I get mixed answers from my 'boys' in Elkhorn, some say they say the pledge every morning, some say they don't. Maybe it is at the individual teacher's discretion?  It is truly sad that this even has to be legislated, it should just BE as it has always been.   (Much as the bill to amend the NE constitution to protect hunting, fishing, etc as rights.  As a Senator told me, he supports it because it's what his constituents want, but he hates the idea of it having to be done in the first place.) I , too, won't get started on the state of our educational system.

P.S.  @Lmbass14  -THANK YOU!
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
    :o HOW DID I MISS THIS?  :o
http://nebraskalegislature.gov/FloorDocs/Current/PDF/Intro/LB990.pdf

And one of the main concerns- it will cost soo much to put a Flag in every class room. (you mean to tell me one is not already in every room?  :o  I'm pretty sure I know some folks that would be more than happy to help donate some flags!

I wonder what the Catholic Sen. Fulton would say to an amendment to his bill to also require a small picture of Nebuchadnezzar's golden idol and daily prayers to that. Idolatry is idolatry.

The best thing about this bill is that fact that is doesn't require active participation by students.

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
At my (elementary) school, The Pledge is led every morning by the principal and a couple of students.  Participation is not mandatory and we have a few kids that choose not to participate. 
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline y0diggity

• Powder Benefactor
At my (elementary) school, The Pledge is led every morning by the principal and a couple of students.  Participation is not mandatory and we have a few kids that choose not to participate.

It would be a bad day for my children if I found out they had declined to participate in the Pledge of Allegiance at school. Maybe the school can't force it, but I can certainly be a very persuasive man if necessary.
That which does not kill us was not trained properly.

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
It would be a bad day for my children if I found out they had declined to participate in the Pledge of Allegiance at school. Maybe the school can't force it, but I can certainly be a very persuasive man if necessary.

We have a high population of ELL (English Language Learners) so mostly it is a cultural thing.  Also some religions do not allow as it is viewed as idol worship.  Again, very few kids.  One of my teachers read one kid the riot act about it, but his family is Eastern European (former Soviet) and they tend to be very distrustful of government, so I had him back off.  Not worth the headache of a parent coming in ballistic.
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.