< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Thunder Alley in Lincoln has been busy!  (Read 1259 times)

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
Thunder Alley in Lincoln has been busy!
« on: February 11, 2012, 03:22:27 PM »
I am pleased to see that Randy at Thunder Alley in Lincoln has been very busy.  Went in yesterday and waited 30-45 minutes to get on the range.  I'm not complaining, I'm glad to see it.  Randy is a nice guy and he deserves some return on his hard work.  He has been repairing parts on overhead rails.  He had to do about an hours work after he closed at 9pm.  I suggested that since he was going to be there anyhow, he might as well continue to rent out the lanes.  For some reason he didn't like that.  He said something about not having his kevlar full body suit with him.  ;D

I called today and he had people waiting in line to get on the range. 

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Re: Thunder Alley in Lincoln has been busy!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 03:45:42 PM »
I have stopped in at 5 after noon on Wednesday, and have to park around the corner an down the street.  I'd say Randy and Co. has done a great thing for the local Gun community.  And after informing MANY women a couple weekends ago, I would say things will get even busier!  He may have to shut down the other store and do the range thing full time ;)
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 04:53:31 PM »
i keep offering to let him have a day off and i'ld cover for him but he never takes me up on it lol. My buddy and i waited 45 minutes the last time we were there.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 01:27:14 AM »
He needs to expand or increase prices to get the wait times down.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline bbtech

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 07:46:57 AM »
I don't mind having to wait when I get to shoot on a range where everything works. Not like the old days here. I also like seeing young people both male and female shooting. Randy has done a good thing for the local firearms enthusiasts.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 09:24:48 AM »
There was definitely a demand for a good shooting range in Lincoln.  It was never busy under the old ownership, but frankly the place was a dump.  I'm glad he's making a go of it.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 09:31:29 AM »
The previous management, going back several owners, was not very user friendly. Even grizzled gun shop commandos didn't find it a nice place to visit often without pair of hip waders and a gas mask
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 09:34:21 AM »
He needs to expand or increase prices to get the wait times down.

I suggested that he needs to get the building owner to expand on the west side where there is a fair amount of open area between the building and the sidewalk.  I was kind of joking, but sort of serious too.  I imagine the problem is that, while the weather is nasty outside, he is busy but that changes drastically in the summer.  It probably would not be worth the investment to expand.

I also asked if he considered online reservations.  Something with strict rules such as you have to pre-pay, if you are not there on time or even early, you lose the $ and the lane is rented to someone else.  It sounded like a good idea, but Randy explained the considerably issues with doing that, and I don't blame him for not taking that on at this time.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 10:15:20 AM »
Randy actually stays pretty steady during the nicer weather too, alot of people that i talk to like being able to not have to deal with the wind/heat/grumpy *****y neighbors, etc.

also, for the lazier ones, they like having an operational range that they down have to walk all the way down just to hang a target.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 10:29:07 AM »
My wife actually prefers shooting there as opposed to going to the Ikes with me. 

Offline Rich T

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 04:09:32 PM »
I'm a noob that has yet to check the place out. What times during the week tend to be slowest?

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 04:33:44 PM »
thunderalley.us 

i doubt he really has a "slow" time anymore.  i've been there shooting when there was no one else there and other times, i've had to wait.

i NEED to go to a Rock n Thunder match.... to see how bad i compare to everyone else.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 07:33:10 PM »
thunderalley.us 

i doubt he really has a "slow" time anymore.  i've been there shooting when there was no one else there and other times, i've had to wait.

i NEED to go to a Rock n Thunder match.... to see how bad i compare to everyone else.

There are only two left.. Feb. 25th and March 10th, if I recall correctly.  I've been to both.  First one had 60 some shooters, second one was near 80, but had fun.
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.