< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: 922r question  (Read 786 times)

Offline Hermit

• NFOA Full Member
922r question
« on: February 18, 2012, 04:57:35 PM »
So, I have a Saiga 12, and I didn't care for the ergonomics much and so I decided to install one of the Tapco pistol grip and collapsible stock kits on it.  Then I started reading about 922r and my eyes started to glaze over and I got curious...did I turn a compliant gun into a non/less compliant gun?  Did I make it /more/ compliant?  Oh, I also, just as an excuse to use some Amazon gift card money, bought a Tapco gas piston/hockey puck thing and put it in the gun.  I have to figure that the gun was 922r compliant, as it was purchased here, but I'm just curious enough to post this up.  Also, a small plug for R.L. Moeller Sporting Arms.  I'll definitely be shopping there more often, stopped in today, great guy.

Offline m0par

• NFOA Full Member
Re: 922r question
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 09:10:44 PM »
It was good to go as imported, but you added an evil feature that it could not have had and still been imported.

When you say kit, what do you mean?

Just the add-on stock/pistol grip that retains the factory FCG, or a full conversion kit that relocates the trigger and includes a FCG?

The answer depends upon exactly what kit was used, and what parts were replaced with USA made items (including mags).

It cannot have more than 10 imported parts from ATF's list:
    (1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings, or castings.
    (2) Barrels.
    (3) Barrel extensions.
    (4) Mounting blocks (trunnions).
    (5) Muzzle attachments.
    (6) Bolts.
    (7) Bolt carriers.
    (8) Operating rods.
    (9) Gas pistons.
    (10) Trigger housings.
    (11) Triggers.
    (12) Hammers.
    (13) Sears.
    (14) Disconnectors.
    (15) Buttstocks.
    (16) Pistol grips.
    (17) Forearms, handguards.
    (18) Magazine bodies.
    (19) Followers.
    (20) Floor plates.

So if it's just the add-on grip/stock that retains the factory FCG and you haven't replaced anything else, it is non-compliant.

Tapco has a pretty decent summary: http://www.tapco.com/section922r/

ETA:
As well as gunwiki: http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildSaigaShotgunVerifyCompliance

(Sporting purposes? I don't remember reading anything about sporting purposes in 2A.)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 09:33:57 PM by m0par »
"Where the people fear the government you have tyranny. Where the government fears the people you have liberty."--John Basil Barnhill

Offline Hermit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 09:28:26 PM »
It's just a pistol grip and telescoping stock (edit: not the full conversion process).  I'm a bit confused now.  A stock Saiga 12 is from Russia, and presumably it has all Russian parts...so, how would it have no more than 10 parts and be compliant for sale?  If some parts have been changed from Russia to the US, then what parts are they?  How am I, as a purchaser, supposed to know?  Since the shotgun takes detachable magazines, as sold, it's not for "sporting purposes" right?  So, it's non-compliant out of the box?  Or is it only non-compliant if I put higher capacity magazines in it?  Regardless, I'll be putting it back to its stock configuration tonight, and moving the high capacity magazines far far away from it (like, somebody else's house) ASAP.  Ridiculous....
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 09:32:40 PM by Hermit »

Offline m0par

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 09:42:14 PM »
Because it was in a condition suitable for sporting uses. Imported parts count doesn't matter at that point. They're all imported.

You made it evil by putting the pistol grip on it. If it had one on it from the get go, it couldn't have been imported.

IIRC, more than 5-rnd mags are non-sporting. So yes, the use of high-cap mags in a box-stock saiga could be problematic, just like the pistol grip.

You can't make a gun that couldn't be imported out of more than 10 imported parts.

Stupid, right?
"Where the people fear the government you have tyranny. Where the government fears the people you have liberty."--John Basil Barnhill