< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: AAR-PRT CQTF 101 February 18 2012  (Read 799 times)

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
AAR-PRT CQTF 101 February 18 2012
« on: February 19, 2012, 11:32:27 AM »
First of all, I survived it.  Secondly, many thanks to my fellow students for taking it easy on an old man!  It's not that the class is that tough, I'm just middle aged and don't spend enough time on the treadmill.  But it will make you sweat!  I'm a little stiff and sore here n' there this AM but I sort of expected that (especially since I'm coming down with a cold.)  I'm surprised at the damage I did to myself during the multiple highly motivated and hasty draws I had to perform.  All kinds of pretty colors on my hip!  (Also, the one Airsoft wound I sustained isn't as bad as I thought it would be.)  Frankly, the worst wound I received was a broken nail.  I don't remember how I got that though. Was it when I tried to push another classmate through a wall? 

This is my second class with Mr Howard at http://precisionresponse.4t.com/Schedule.html.  This class dwelt more on empty hand techniques at "bad breath distance" and how to defend against a knife, gun or club in your face.  The carry piece did come into play, but only AFTER the aggressor's weapon had been neutralized. 

There were only 4 students in the class, including myself, so you get personal attention.  Thomas was always there to instruct and correct.  (I'm a slow learner so I value having instantaneous feedback when I err.)

I've often read of the importance of having some empty hand techniques in one's toolbox, which was my primary motivation for taking this class.  I'm currently reading Ralph Mroz' book, Tactical Defensive Training for Real-Life Encounters where the importance of empty handed techniques is emphasized.  (I'm beginning to see a pattern here.)  Mroz' book is definitely NOT a "how-to" book though. It's more about mindset and the "big picture."

http://www.amazon.com/Tactical-Defensive-Training-Real-life-Encounters/dp/1581604270

CQFT 101 is very much a "how-to" kind of experience and it will challenge any preconceived notions you may have.  And like any good training, it will quickly point out in any shortcomings in your chosen system, equipment or techniques.  For instance, I am reconsidering my choice to carry at the traditional(?) behind the hip carry location and thinking of going "appendix carry."  Things happen very, very quickly in a fight, and even if you have achieved some control of the opponent's weapon, getting your own in your hand as quickly as possible is a good thing. 

I highly recommend this class for anyone who carries.  The handgun is a very, very small part of your defensive plan, whether you realize it or not.  Developing other skills, such as those taught in this class, are critical IMHO.  Plus it was fun.  :)

This along with Zeeb's "Legal Aspects" class, are musts.

We are very fortunate to have these resources available to us here. 

« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 11:55:01 AM by Lorimor »
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller