< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Des Moines SD shooting leaves man homeless  (Read 1517 times)

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
Des Moines SD shooting leaves man homeless
« on: February 23, 2012, 07:30:05 AM »
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline Waltherfan

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Des Moines SD shooting leaves man homeless
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 12:32:07 PM »
Man, that s*cks  :o
I'm afraid I'd be going back to jail after I skinned the lawyer that evicted me.  :angry:

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 08:18:46 PM »
What an outrage! That is not justice! He was punished for defending himself with a gun. Iowa needs to pass that Castle Doctrine/Stand Your Ground and so does Nebraska. And Polk county attorney John Sarcone had the nerve to say

"What Lewis’ case shows is that current law works, Sarcone said: “I don’t know why people are afraid of jury trials. I’m not.”

WTF?!!! The fact that he testified against the castle doctrine shows you were he stands. This man lost everything because of the unjust law in place now. Sarcone can go to hell!

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 08:44:35 PM »
Unfortunately, being railroaded by the state is not something that a Castle Doctrine would address
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 08:48:00 PM »
Unfortunately, being railroaded by the state is not something that a Castle Doctrine would address

That's what massive, entirely unreasonable lawsuits are for.  :)

Still, I have to think that Castle Doctrine could have helped this man if it had been in place.  Seems they, the state, believed he didn't retreat to their satisfaction. 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline Ross Berck

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 09:27:24 PM »
Maybe nfoa members should take up a donation to help him...I'd contribute

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 09:34:51 PM »
Looking at the guy it doesn't appear he is in shape to run any marathons, let alone run from 2 guys. The man who was shot was a former soldier so I would guess he can outrun this poor gentleman. Fleeing could have turned out worse for him and the safety of others. If he tried to fire his gun on the run it would be hard to keep track of every bullet and that can do more harm than good. And if he got caught he could have been disarmed and shot by the drunk felon. I may send this article to my business law teacher and see if he has any insight on what appears to be a violation of due process since he was never truly informed and had to fall victim to the default judgement.

On another note, NFOA should chip in and help this poor guy get a new tv  :)

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 08:26:26 AM »
This evening I will try to contact the folks i know with the Iowa Gun organizations, or if someone here knows someone and wishes to check into it, to see if they have set up any type of assistance fund that our members can make donations too.  While I agree that we as a community need to offer our support in these cases, the NFOA can not be running to the aid of people all over the US.  That said if there is something local to this victim of the Justice system we should share how we can help.

Offline Ross Berck

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 09:28:00 AM »
Thanks AAllen .  If this Guy is well spoken, he may be a good recruit to come to the unicam and testify on what can happen when the "people" are not given protection from the government..... let us know about donations

Offline Ross Berck

• Powder Benefactor

Offline metaldoc

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 10:11:12 AM »
If this Guy is well spoken, he may be a good recruit to come to the unicam and testify on what can happen when the "people" are not given protection from the government.....

^^^^
That!

Offline Waltherfan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 10:33:57 AM »
While this guy was screwed over by several organizations, it should be an example to us all how quickly things can get out of hand. Also, it's a good example of what can go wrong when you let a little road rage take over. In my few encounters with suspected impaired/distracted drivers, I've decided to keep them in front of me or if possible, I turn off somewhere to avoid them. If they are, IMHO, dangerous, I call 911 and report them. Getting in a confrontaion with a drunk while armed probably won't end well just about every time.

Offline Ross Berck

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 12:03:17 PM »
Well said....we must have a different mindset as armed citizens

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 12:13:37 PM »
Escape, evade, elude.... I'm not sure this guy had a chance to do so.   He did pull over to inspect the damage and must've thought he was away from the threat.  Otherwise, I doubt he would have pulled over and gotten out of his vehicle. 

I'm glad to see a relief fund has been set up for this guy. 

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 01:28:31 PM »
So it's easy to find how to help:

Donations should be sent to Westminster Presbyterian Church, 4114 Allison Ave., Des Moines, Iowa 50310. Include a note or write on a memo line that the donation is to be used for “Jay Rodney Lewis.”

For more information, call the church at 274-1534.