< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Guns in cars at work bill  (Read 931 times)

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
Guns in cars at work bill
« on: February 23, 2012, 10:25:26 PM »
Neb. measure aims to redefine gun owners' rights

LINCOLN, Neb. (WTW) — Gun owners who legally transport and store weapons in their vehicles would have better-defined property rights under a measure debated Wednesday in the Legislature's Judiciary Committee.

Legislative Bill 785 would provide clearer guidelines for the transportation and storage of firearms in vehicles in publicly accessible parking lots — common lots provided for both employees and customers — throughout the state.

Sen. Mark Christensen of Imperial said many gun owners face inconsistent rules and actions by their employers. He and other bill supporters said people should be allowed to have permitted handguns and hunting guns carefully locked and stored in their vehicles and not be subjected to employer weapons bans.

read more at the link

http://www.wausaudailyherald.com/usatoday/article/38637201

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Guns in cars at work bill
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 10:38:22 PM »
We need to pay  attention to the copyrights notices like this
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://nebraskafirearms.org/forum/index.php/topic,4681.0.html

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline metaldoc

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 09:17:23 AM »
We need to pay  attention to the copyrights notices like this

http://nebraskafirearms.org/forum/index.php/topic,4681.0.html

So as long as LESS than 50% of the original article is copied and pasted AND a link to the original story is provided there is no infringement, is that correct?   Or does the copyright notice at the end of the article prevent ANY reference to it? 

Not arguing, just asking for clarification.  According to the bold print in the Fair Use reference, DanClrk51 is within the guidelines.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 09:57:05 AM »
So as long as LESS than 50% of the original article is copied and pasted AND a link to the original story is provided there is no infringement, is that correct?   Or does the copyright notice at the end of the article prevent ANY reference to it? 

Non-profit fair use guidelines (meaning you aren't posting something that gains you money, nor are you attempting to pass someone else's work off as yours) that are used in copyright law along with the policy of this forum, both allow the original post.

Matter of fact, it was better done than most.  Didn't post the whole article, just the salient features/summary, and included the link to the original for author information and the rest of the article. 

Speaking as a teacher who shows kids how to quote and cite correctly for scientific research articles, good job.  :)

Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 06:21:57 PM »
Non-profit fair use guidelines (meaning you aren't posting something that gains you money, nor are you attempting to pass someone else's work off as yours) that are used in copyright law along with the policy of this forum, both allow the original post.

Matter of fact, it was better done than most.  Didn't post the whole article, just the salient features/summary, and included the link to the original for author information and the rest of the article. 

Speaking as a teacher who shows kids how to quote and cite correctly for scientific research articles, good job.  :)

Also, just to point out, Righthaven doesn't exist anymore teehee :)

But, it can be pointed out that there are ads and such on this forum... thus reproducing copyrighted works can then generate NFOA money via the ads.

This is how Napster was brought down years ago -- while they didn't host any of the infringing music files and all of that jazz -- they did make money from site advertisements and such.

----------

NFOA people always include a link to the original article and all that jazz, so I imagine it's not a problem.
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 06:27:40 PM »

I had already "fixed" the post before I added the warning.

I would like to see less that 50% of the original text , a link to the article and if it can be determined the authors byline.

Since I am the registered DMCA agent for our association, I get a little more worried when I see this

"Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed."
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 08:55:27 PM »
Side note; I have noticed with some news sites, when I copy and paste a portion of the article text in a post,  a link to the article and a short copyright notice is automatically added. Noticed it especially with FOX.  Thought it kinda handy.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 10:54:56 PM »
Thank you Dan W. for fixing the post. I will try to be more careful in the future.