General Categories > Non Gun Stuff

Cop fired 40 days before retirement

(1/2) > >>

Policista:
Follow the link below to view reader's comments following the article.

Cop fired 40 days before retirement
By Todd Cooper - Published Sunday February 19, 2012
WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

Roger Anderson was 40 days from retirement — and the pension he would have earned after a 29-year career at the Bellevue Police Department.  Then one day his boss found out that Anderson had spent an hour of sick time taking a friend — former Bellevue Police Officer Chris Parent — through a state firearms certification test.

Police Chief John Stacey called Anderson on the carpet about administering the test for Parent — an officer Stacey had gone to great lengths, and great expense, to keep off the force.

Anderson told his supervisors he made a mistake; that he had spent four hours of sick leave with one of his children, then an hour at a gun range administering Parent's firearms test.

Anderson offered to forfeit that hour of sick time.

Stacey's response: You're fired.

The City of Bellevue listed Anderson's cause of termination as failing to follow chain of command, failing to contact a supervisor before leaving his house, violating rules over sick leave, and failing to uphold the department's integrity policy.

Anderson's attorney, Steve Delaney, attributed the termination to something else: spite.
~Read more at the link~
Contact the writer: 402-444-1275, todd.cooper@owh.com

Link: http://www.omaha.com/article/20120219/NEWS01/705019775/1101#cop-fired-40-days-before-retirement

ADMIN EDIT... do not copy entire articles. Read the rules about Fair use and copyright here http://nebraskafirearms.org/forum/index.php/topic,4681.0.html

bkoenig:
Sounds like a certain police chief has let his power go to his head.  I hate seeing stuff like this but you hear so much of it - the rank and file officers doing their duty while their bosses play political games.

Ronvandyn:
Wow, I was unaware of this, and I live in Bellevue.  I know this officer, and he seems to be a bit of an old style guy (carries a 1911 rather than a Glock), but he is a good officer. 

It sounds like its time to ask the State Patrol to step into this mess and see who is violating what.

Ron

00BUCK:
The simple solution is to run for mayor, win, then fire that A-hole.

CliffD:
Unbelievable. Any chance this can get reversed?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version