< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: School Shooting  (Read 1810 times)

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
School Shooting
« on: February 27, 2012, 10:50:43 AM »
Well as of right now there is no reported death and we can thank God for that. I can't believe anti-gunners stand their ground on not allowing CC in schools by law abiding teachers. Doesn't mean any teacher there has their permit but if it was allowed this shooter would have been aware they are able to pack heat. I feel that could have deterred him since he fled after shooting instead of taking his life, so he values his life more than others might think.

Offline Dtrain323i

• Powder Benefactor
Re: School Shooting
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 11:14:53 AM »
Update I saw says one dead.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 11:40:23 AM »
Update I saw says one dead.

Hopefully that was the shooter.

Well as of right now there is no reported death and we can thank God for that. I can't believe anti-gunners stand their ground on not allowing CC in schools by law abiding teachers. Doesn't mean any teacher there has their permit but if it was allowed this shooter would have been aware they are able to pack heat. I feel that could have deterred him since he fled after shooting instead of taking his life, so he values his life more than others might think.

Unfortunately, this will only embolden the anti-gunners' cries to disarm everyone.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 12:20:28 PM »
I am glad to hear a teacher had the nadastidy (yeah I made that one up) to pursue rather than cower and hide.  Was it the smartest thing to do? Probably not. But at least he/she met the force with some sort of force and sent the coward running!
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 05:46:48 PM »
link?
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 06:02:21 PM »

Offline HuskerXDM

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 09:42:32 PM »
sounds like he used a revolver, so the teacher might have known or taken a chance he couldn't reload.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 11:33:27 AM »
Cue the anti-gun folks saying "we need more laws to keep guns out of schools" as if that would have made anything different.  (And as if that won't make schools even more vulnerable.)

The following is stolen from a post in a public forum:

Every time there is another school shooting, I do this little social experiment.

Ask most “non gun” people if it makes sense for armored car drivers or bank guards to carry guns so they can protect the money. Most will answer yes.

Ask most “non gun” people if it makes sense for school security guards to carry guns so they can protect the children. Most will answer no with some form of cliché anti-gun explanation they heard from the media, internet blogs, etc…

So let me get this straight. As a society, it’s morally acceptable to view our money as more precious to us than our children?

MechEng's original post:  http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?3301-OH-School-shooting-5-wounded&p=55553&viewfull=1#post55553
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 05:51:09 PM »
Cue the anti-gun folks saying "we need more laws to keep guns out of schools" as if that would have made anything different.  (And as if that won't make schools even more vulnerable.)

The following is stolen from a post in a public forum:

Every time there is another school shooting, I do this little social experiment.

Ask most “non gun” people if it makes sense for armored car drivers or bank guards to carry guns so they can protect the money. Most will answer yes.

Ask most “non gun” people if it makes sense for school security guards to carry guns so they can protect the children. Most will answer no with some form of cliché anti-gun explanation they heard from the media, internet blogs, etc…

So let me get this straight. As a society, it’s morally acceptable to view our money as more precious to us than our children?

MechEng's original post:  http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?3301-OH-School-shooting-5-wounded&p=55553&viewfull=1#post55553

I have to laugh at them when they say we need more laws to keep guns out of some where.

It wouldn't matter in the least

The Person do the shooting where there just to shoot someone most of the time.

They thought about it and then when and did it

Lets face it .....they when there to do harm 
if they hadn't had a gun they might have used a car,knife,homemade bomb...Etc

thing is they planed to kill or injure someone.  the laws on that alone are usually
worse than for laws against carrying or taking a gun into some where!.

Most people mean well ....but they always seem to miss the point and react without fully
thinking about it. <shakes head>

It like making a Law that states all falling persons are to have personal Air brakes installed first.

Of course that won't stop law makers .....I seem to remember Voters Voting that seatbelt Law out Twice and we still seem to have one for some reason.
(I'm not saying if it's a good law or not but the People Voted! against it ....so why can a few legislators in a backroom some where decide they can just ignore the will of the People? )

Phantom
"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"

Offline HuskerXDM

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 09:27:15 PM »
A third victim has died.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 10:26:23 PM »
Weapon used was a .22LR from what I am hearing.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 12:22:23 AM »
Currently researching school shootings for a paper. The scariest thing is that there is no consistent red flag. The description fits about 5% of teenagers at some point in their lives.

The second scariest thing is that the Vtech guy passed a background check to purchase 2 handguns legally. After being diagnosed with a major social disorder, displaying schizophrenic tendencies, writing an essay calling the Columbine kids "martyrs," stalking and making unwanted aggressive moves towards females, and last, but not least, being declared a harm to himself and others by a judge and being institutionalized shortly.

I wholeheartedly agree that employees of educational institutions should be allowed to carry. I think metal detectors and security personnel are unnecessary at around 85% of schools nation wide, and really just a huge drain on the budget. Small incentives, such as 1 paid day off per month for range time for employees who choose to carry at work, is a much more fiscally feasible responsibility. If I were ever an employer, I would definetly institute such a policy, but require evidence that they actually went to the range that day, and carry regularly at work. Just some thoughts.

jthhapkido, excellent logic! Do you mind if I steal that debate point from you? I often have to try to educate naive, usually younger, college students. Surprisingly, most of the professors and staff usually agree with me.

The other thing I would like to bring up; I own my own house, I work, and I go to college. The only time I find myself on campus is for class or to meet with a professor. I don't "party" and I rarely drink at all. I'm not sure I am comfortable with the idea of drunken frat kids being allowed weapons on campus, but lumping me in that category is quite honestly offensive. Does the State of Nebraska or my educational institution assume the liability if I am wounded or killed by a gunman while in a classroom and my handgun is in my vehicle?

I'm actually thinking of  having my will rewritten that should I be killed in such a scenario, in any gun-free area, that my remaining assets be used to file a claim against whichever organization is responsible for said victim-zone.

What I would suggest is a shall-issue policy of a second, college issued, CCW for non-traditional students, such as myself. Just a thought.

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 12:40:49 AM »
Currently researching school shootings for a paper. The scariest thing is that there is no consistent red flag. The description fits about 5% of teenagers at some point in their lives.

The second scariest thing is that the Vtech guy passed a background check to purchase 2 handguns legally. After being diagnosed with a major social disorder, displaying schizophrenic tendencies, writing an essay calling the Columbine kids "martyrs," stalking and making unwanted aggressive moves towards females, and last, but not least, being declared a harm to himself and others by a judge and being institutionalized shortly.

I wholeheartedly agree that employees of educational institutions should be allowed to carry. I think metal detectors and security personnel are unnecessary at around 85% of schools nation wide, and really just a huge drain on the budget. Small incentives, such as 1 paid day off per month for range time for employees who choose to carry at work, is a much more fiscally feasible responsibility. If I were ever an employer, I would definetly institute such a policy, but require evidence that they actually went to the range that day, and carry regularly at work. Just some thoughts.

jthhapkido, excellent logic! Do you mind if I steal that debate point from you? I often have to try to educate naive, usually younger, college students. Surprisingly, most of the professors and staff usually agree with me.

The other thing I would like to bring up; I own my own house, I work, and I go to college. The only time I find myself on campus is for class or to meet with a professor. I don't "party" and I rarely drink at all. I'm not sure I am comfortable with the idea of drunken frat kids being allowed weapons on campus, but lumping me in that category is quite honestly offensive. Does the State of Nebraska or my educational institution assume the liability if I am wounded or killed by a gunman while in a classroom and my handgun is in my vehicle?

I'm actually thinking of  having my will rewritten that should I be killed in such a scenario, in any gun-free area, that my remaining assets be used to file a claim against whichever organization is responsible for said victim-zone.

What I would suggest is a shall-issue policy of a second, college issued, CCW for non-traditional students, such as myself. Just a thought.

I used to be in a fraternity on east campus where campus officers rarely patrol, some of the farm boys keep a firearm around when it's hunting season, and trust me they LOVE to drink. Fortunately they grew up with guns and know what they are capable of so they are never handled when intoxicated. Still against the house rules but it happens. Like you, I also spend little time on campus unless I am at class, but getting out of a late class in the winter when it's dark is not fun walking through some of the darker parts of campus. I even paid enough attention to find a spot where someones shadow disappears when you go down the stairs on the west side of the Coliseum allowing a quiet criminal to easily get at you from behind. Find myself holding my car key in my pocket to use to defend myself if I have to, not very comforting.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 08:31:41 AM »
I used to be in a fraternity on east campus where campus officers rarely patrol, some of the farm boys keep a firearm around when it's hunting season, and trust me they LOVE to drink. Fortunately they grew up with guns and know what they are capable of so they are never handled when intoxicated. Still against the house rules but it happens. Like you, I also spend little time on campus unless I am at class, but getting out of a late class in the winter when it's dark is not fun walking through some of the darker parts of campus. I even paid enough attention to find a spot where someones shadow disappears when you go down the stairs on the west side of the Coliseum allowing a quiet criminal to easily get at you from behind. Find myself holding my car key in my pocket to use to defend myself if I have to, not very comforting.

Just run to one of those Blue Light emergency phones.  I'm sure the campus police will arrive before the attacker closes in on you.  ;D

Fly

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 10:09:50 AM »
Just run to one of those Blue Light emergency phones.  I'm sure the campus police will arrive before the attacker closes in on you.  ;D

Fly

I wouldn't even stop at it, I would hit the button and keep running lol

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 12:32:48 PM »
I wouldn't even stop at it, I would hit the button and keep running lol

You could hit the button and then run around the pole, using it like a shield, and occasionally switching directions to throw off the attacker.  Now that would make a funny scene for a video on why this sort of self defense mentality does NOT work.

Fly