< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Informal poll regarding possible NFOA event.  (Read 6507 times)

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
Informal poll regarding possible NFOA event.
« on: February 11, 2009, 02:10:37 PM »
OK, the NFOA Board of Directors would like to get everyone's thoughts about possibly planning some sort of NFOA event for later this year. I think we are large enough now that we could organize an event and have a big enough turn out to make it worthwhile, and at the same time, the event itself would be a tool to get our name out there and to recruit new members.

Before we go too far with this, though, we would like to get some sort of gauge of your interest in participating in something like this as members. This is not an official vote with the winning vote mandating what, if anything, we would do, but just an informal poll to use as a barometer for interest level, and a way to get people talking about it, and maybe with a little luck volunteering to help. 

There are a couple of ways to go here. First off, there is the possibility of doing some sort of community project, like maybe an open carry clean up somewhere, or maybe volunteer for a habitat for humanity build, or really just about anything along those types of lines. This would serve two purposes: 1) It would help remind Joe Schmoe that the shootings they see every night on tv are done by criminals, not gun owners. The number of law abiding, good deed doing, upstanding citizens that lawfully own firearms dwarfs the number of street thug criminals they see on tv, but they never hear from us. 2) We could get some media coverage, which is always a good thing. It would get our name out there, and give us some recognition. This would help us gain members, as well as giving us some familiarity for down the road to the antis when we speak up on a subject. Actually a third benefit of this is just the mere fact that it would give us a chance to do something good, and that is always a good feeling, with or without any recognition.

Another possibility is just putting together a social event for NFOA members, be it a banquet or a picnic, or a fun shoot, or whatever. The purpose of this would be to build some relationships and some unity within our membership to help get people involved in the organization, and to keep them interested. How much more fun is it to post on a forum board when you know some of the other posters? Also, it would keep people buzzing and get them to talk to their friends, co workers, etc, which would boost our membership. Lastly, it would be a good way to maybe raise some donations.

So what say you? Is there any genuine interest in any of this, or would putting together an event of some kind require more time and effort than it would be worth?

« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 02:14:22 PM by Jay »

Offline Mike M.

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: Informal poll regarding possible NFOA event.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 03:46:45 PM »
I voted for any and all the ideas. They are all great ideas. The best however is the banquet/fundraiser.
Mike

USAF 82-88, American Legion, NFOA,  NRA

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 09:22:48 PM »
All good ideas. I voted any and all. However I favor the banquet/fundraiser along with a political rally/demonstration. The rally should be cordinated with the National rally that is being planned in D.C. later this year.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 01:30:48 PM »
Bump

Even if you're not interested in attending any events, let us know that as well.

Offline schoolcop

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 10:12:09 AM »
The two ideas that I like the most are the banquet /fundraiser and the open carry event.  I can just see it that if we did an open carry event that Omaha Police would be there checking everyone's registrations and so much time would be wasted with record checks on members we would get nothing done. I suppose we could contact the police first to find out what kind of hurdles we would have to jump through to actually accomplish something. A banquet would be fun to get to know each other and try to find some local business' who are 2nd Amend. friendly. We could maybe get together some really neat giveaways. I'm sure their are members who would even donate small items just for the sake of comraderie.

Offline Blkcat

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 06:46:24 PM »
I am in favor of any event - but would most like an open-carry picnic/BBQ, and/or a fun-shoot.  perhaps we could get a local gun club to open their facility for us and hire a caterer for a pig roast, or some such offering (Tim Bazar comes to mind). 

Offline Dark Helmet

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 09:54:26 AM »
fun shoot or OC event would be fine with me... maybe invite some of the legislators we work with on issues to come and get to know us.

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 01:21:45 PM »
I'm just throwing ideas out here, nothing official at all, but how about putting together an open carry picnic this summer, and having a large banquet/fundraiser sometime late fall? I would like to have the picnic be close to either Lincoln or Omaha and hopefully get some media coverage there (not in Omaha city limits, unless LB430 passes first) and have the banquet in a more central location for everyone.

I'm just kind of thinking that these would be the easiest to organize at this stage in our organization, and we could use them to gauge the response from media and NFOA members before organizing another type of event. Plus, the more we all get to know each other within our own ranks, the easier it will be to work together and help plan future events.

Again, these are just my own personal thoughts at this point. I'm open to about anything, but ultimately I imagine the decision will come down to the board of directors picking something, or having an official vote by all members.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 03:05:04 PM »
OC picnic in Nebraska City?  Since they have such an issue with CCW........
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Jesse T

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • XD Shooter
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 03:14:47 PM »
I like the idea.  Though I am not going to go through omahas rigamarole to get my gun registered. It is just not something I want to succumb to, and I do not go to omaha if I can at all help it.  However if a picnic was there I would probably be obliged to attend and not carry :|

In Lincoln city parks are illegal to have any weapons in (maybe LB430 if passed would correct this misjudgement?)

We could have it at private property provided someone had enough land to host people.  We could also do it at a paid-for private venue. Something like a place closed on the weekends with a huge parking lot we could fill up with people and food and guns. 

I also think it could be a positive media event with sufficient numbers present, as long as there are no idiots handling their guns and having an ND or something.  THAT would certainly be the proverbial egg-on-our-face as an organization, in the presence of the media. 

Part of me just wants to set up on the capitol lawn and grill there while chatting with my open carrying friends. However capitol security might not go for that idea :-\

In short, I like the idea, but logistics are tough. (but workable)
N0ZXR

Offline ranger04

• Valued Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 01:08:31 AM »
I have a brother Mason who owns a golf course north of Columbus. It has a nice club house an great patio and is outside of the city limits. He would be willing to allow a gathering there. It is also about 2 miles east of our range.

Offline George

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 08:04:12 AM »
Great idea.........Good fund raiser opertunity
Endowment Life NRA member

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 01:29:50 AM »
With are members from such a wide geographical state locations.
Columbus sounds like a sensible locality for a gathering of members.
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline Burnsy87

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 09:05:07 AM »
Give me a date and a location and I'm there.

Offline WarHorse1961

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2009, 08:15:01 PM »
Give me a date and a location and I'm there.
Same here.

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2009, 09:37:39 PM »
When and where??? That's all I need also.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson.

Offline ranger04

• Valued Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2009, 09:07:05 PM »
I spoke with my friend that owns the country club in Columbus. He likes the idea. We will have to work out logistics, time , date, food etc. Lets have some feed back! I or some of the board will have to meet with him and his wife to finalize details etc.

Offline Aldo

• Ever vigilant. Ever ready. Ever willing. www.everreadyccw.com
  • NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2009, 10:52:36 PM »
Thanks!  Let's get something goin'.....and it'll take off from there.  Sure seems like a fun bunch of folks.  Would be nice to put faces to names.

Perhaps after LB 430 is approved (glass if half full, folks), let's set up a celebration.  Hey, if we can get together on someone's farm or wherever we can shoot, let's act like them crazy dudes in the middle east and fire the $#)* out of our guns in the air and woop it up with that crazy tongue sound..lah-lah-lah-lah...alright, alright, forget the tongue stuff....and I know that ammo and reload components are short, but what the heck.  :D
www.everreadyccw.com
"Always remember that you are Americans, and it is your birthright to dream great dreams in this sweet and blessed land, truly the greatest, freest, strongest nation on Earth." -- Ronald Reagan

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2009, 07:23:47 AM »
Ranger, PM sent. Let's get going on something! Warm weather is just around the corner.  :)

Offline DJPeter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2009, 06:57:14 PM »
All sounds great. Include me.
"A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained in arms, is the best most natural defense of a free country".
James Madison