< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: BiMetal Ammunition  (Read 3249 times)

Offline birddogne

• NFOA Full Member
BiMetal Ammunition
« on: March 02, 2012, 03:03:46 PM »
Interesting story on BiMetal ammunition such as Wolf and Tulammo.

[urlhttp://www.uspsa.org/front-sight-magazine-article.php?Should-I-Buy-BiMetal-Ammo-8][/url]

Offline birddogne

• NFOA Full Member
Re: BiMetal Ammunition
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 03:09:23 PM »

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 09:48:22 PM »
Last I checked, federal law disallows steel cored handgun rounds (it's classified as anti-personnel).

Cores can't be steel, tungsten, etc.  The jacket can't make up more than 25% of the weight of the bullet.  That kind of thing.  It's okay for rifle ammo, but not pistol.

I think this was around the same time as the bradey bill ?

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 07:07:52 PM »
But still, that was an interesting article.  Thanks for posting it.

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 10:47:11 PM »
One thing the article doesn't mention is the relative hardness of different steel alloys.  Steel jacketed bullets commonly found in Eastern European ammo are made of extremely soft steel.  There is a big difference between a harder steel such as that used for barrels and a mild steel used for bullets.  Even with steel on steel contact the barrel is a lot harder than the bullet, so it's going to take a lot of shooting before you wear the barrel enough to affect accuracy.

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 05:59:00 PM »
One thing the article doesn't mention is the relative hardness of different steel alloys.  Steel jacketed bullets commonly found in Eastern European ammo are made of extremely soft steel.  There is a big difference between a harder steel such as that used for barrels and a mild steel used for bullets.  Even with steel on steel contact the barrel is a lot harder than the bullet, so it's going to take a lot of shooting before you wear the barrel enough to affect accuracy.

I was kind of curious about that myself.  Seems that just about all the 7.62x39 ammo out there (foreign and cheap stuff) is bi-metal in nature, and having just acquired an SKS the article got me to wondering.  It came with 100 rounds, and doing some research on the subject tells me that reloading for this round is pretty close to unneeded when compared to buying the new and cheap stuff unless one really just loves the very act of reloading their own stuff.  I reload to shoot, I don’t shoot to reload. 

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX