< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: PC correct answer?  (Read 1588 times)

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
PC correct answer?
« on: March 01, 2012, 04:32:36 PM »
I was just wondering, is it politically correct when asked "What brings you in here for your first ever eye exam?" to answer, "Well, Doc, I just can't seem to focus on the front site anymore, and if I aim to be competetive this season....." or could have went with  "....if I am ever involved in a Critical Defense Incident, I...."   8)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 05:53:38 PM by NE Bull »
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline WarHorse1961

• Powder Benefactor
Re: PC correct answer?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 05:47:18 PM »
That's about as politically correct as my Doc telling me "It's 'cuz you're old!" when I said "I can't see my front sight" to him.  :laugh:

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 07:19:33 PM »
My wife would see you.  And she'd probably ask whether you're having trouble with your handguns or longer sight radius long guns.  Actually, she just told me that she gets that question a lot, but of course it's always from patients who are 45+... Zing!   :laugh:
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 09:38:48 AM »
When I went in for my Lasik surgery consultation, I told them I was very concerned about being able to maintain my shooting accuracy.  The doc was in the Reserves so he understood.  The nurse ... maybe not so much.  :D

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 12:38:31 PM »
I'm getting there myself.  That front sight is getting harder and harder to see.  Aperture rear sights help a lot, but I'm still getting worse.  I think I need to look into Lasik to fix my distance vision and then get reading glasses for up close.  Otherwise I'm going to need bifocals one of these days.

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 12:44:45 PM »
How 'bout today when I was shopping for new work boots;  "do ya'll have this in black with a built in holster for a LCP?"  Ok I didn't really say it, but the thought crossed my mind, the kid gave me a quizical look when I chuckled to myself.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 12:50:46 PM »
Just be aware about the Lasik guys, I had it done and about 6 years later I'm dependent on glasses again.  My eye doctor said they are finding this very common.
www.midwestleatherworks.com
matt@midwestleatherworks.com

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 02:25:11 PM »
Lasik fixes nearsidedness (distance). When you have that corrected, you'll still need readers for close up at about age 40 (some earlier, some later). It's biology.

Koenig, if you have Lasik, consider asking them to not correct all of your nearsidedness away (like oif you're 5 units nearsided, have them correct 4 units and leave you 1 unit of nearsidedness) and you'll be able to go longer before you need readers. Mindy can tell you more about it if you're interested.
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 03:25:57 PM »
Lasik fixes nearsidedness (distance). When you have that corrected, you'll still need readers for close up at about age 40 (some earlier, some later). It's biology.

Koenig, if you have Lasik, consider asking them to not correct all of your nearsidedness away (like oif you're 5 units nearsided, have them correct 4 units and leave you 1 unit of nearsidedness) and you'll be able to go longer before you need readers. Mindy can tell you more about it if you're interested.
I had a astigmatism (hope thats how its spelled) and nearsighted, could have used that info 6 years ago. 
www.midwestleatherworks.com
matt@midwestleatherworks.com

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 04:03:49 PM »
I had a astigmatism (hope thats how its spelled) and nearsighted, could have used that info 6 years ago. 

Yeah, some eye docs are better than others.  The better ones take a little extra time to fully explain procedures and options to their patients. 

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 04:37:10 PM »
I have 20/20 in one eye and 20/15 in the other. As the song goes, "I can see for miles and miles..."   :D

But, up-close is getting fuzzy now that I'm almost 44 1/2 years old.  :o

Thank goodness Menards sells reading glasses by the 3-pack for $4.99.  They're mighty stylish too.   :laugh:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 06:41:51 PM »
Isn't this little forum great?  Even the goofy (S&G) posts end up being very informative. :)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 10:13:09 PM »
Good to know.  I fully expect to need reading glasses for close up no matter what.  My nearsightedness is fully correctable with contacts or glasses - my prescription hasn't changed in about 20 years.  Anything closer than arms length I can't see anymore unless I look over my glasses or take out my contacts.  It makes doing anything detailed a real pain, like inspecting brass while reloading.  I would be ok with reading glasses, I just don't want to have to deal with bifocals.  I've heard they can really screw up shooting.

Offline sidearm1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 10:34:59 AM »
Had Lasiks' in 2001.  Dr. told me right upfront that it did not stop the aging process and that eventually I would need reading glasses.  2012 no glasses yet, but if and when I do, I will know that is what I was told.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 12:31:09 PM »
FWIW.............

Dr. Bill Schlichtemeier
specializes in Lasik eye surgery in the Omaha area.   He's also been an International Olympics Competition Shooter and currently shoots out of the Weeping Water Gun Club.

If you've watched ordinary bifocal handgun shooters, you've seen them shoot with their heads drawn back and--usually--with their mouths open.    Which is a pretty un-natural shooting stance.   Not to mention kinda ugly.

Dr. S
prescribed for me a set of bifocal glasses with the farsighted lens at the top, not the bottom, of the shooting eye side (right hand, for me).   The bifocal-on-top arrangement allows the handgun shooter to use the normal forward body-and-head lean into the sights, rather than tilting back away from them.

This setup brings both front and rear sights on my handguns into sharp, clear focus.    Now--at the same time, the actual target downrange is Really Fuzzy.   But--all you gotta do is shoot into the middle of the fuzz.

Works pretty darn good.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer