< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: New 870 Issue  (Read 3997 times)

Offline Z3R0

• NFOA Full Member
New 870 Issue
« on: March 07, 2012, 09:26:06 PM »
So I just picked up an 870 Express, brand new.

Went and put a few shells through it today, first one fired, and the pump would not for the life of me move, so I ended up just kind of wiggling it back and it finally cycled.  It seems like its getting better but it continued to happen a couple times out of the 50 shells i fired.  Is it just a symptom of a new gun or should I get it checked out?

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: New 870 Issue
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 09:34:57 PM »
It is a common problem with steel based hulls and a rough chamber. My guess is you were firing some inexpensive target ammo that has steel bases or brass washed steel bases.

Problem usually goes away when brass based hulls are used.

You may get better function after a good polishing of the chamber, but beware you don't get carried away and wear it out with excessive or over aggressive abrasives
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Z3R0

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 09:36:42 PM »
It is a common problem with steel based hulls and a rough chamber. My guess is you were firing some inexpensive target ammo that has steel bases or brass washed steel bases.

Problem usually goes away when brass based hulls are used.

You may get better function after a good polishing of the chamber, but beware you don't get carried away and wear it out with excessive or over aggressive abrasives

thats what I figured, Ill just keep putting ammo through it till it loosens up. thanks

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 06:37:44 AM »
Did you clean and lube it before shooting it?

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 07:45:03 AM »
it's a horrible defect.  Give it to me and I will dispose of it for you :)

jk,brand new guns are usually a bit tight.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline Z3R0

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 09:42:37 AM »
haha I was just shocked that it literally wouldnt budge at all to eject, ive seen them be sticky but not like, locked up, but it WAS really cheap shells, just what I had left over from another time

Offline Z3R0

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 09:47:33 AM »
Did you clean and lube it before shooting it?
I did.

Offline nedceifus

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 11:26:39 PM »
May be a technique issue. On my 870 I found that unless you let all rearward pressure off the pump, the gun would not cycle. I had to teach myself to push forward on the pump before I cycled it to the rear. I did get into mine & do a bit of grinding & smoothing that greatly reduced this effect. Polishing the chamber also helps. Also deburing the edge opposite of the ejector helps.With the single ejector on a 870 it torques the shell to the left as its trying to eject it. The rim of the shell will dig into these little machine flaws & you will have a hard time ejecting the spent case.

Offline Ram Ringer

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 05:02:58 PM »
I would say Dan's explanation is correct. I shoot a lot of rounds through 870's yearly and as Dan said the steel low base are usually the problem. I have polished my chamber and still have the issue. Estate shells seem to be worse for me. I can shoot actual brass base shells all day long with no problems. I can shoot 2 3/4, 3" and 3 1/2" brass base shells all day long with no problems. Well maybe not the 31/2" shells they hurt too damn much to shoot all day. My theory on this is that the steel swells up and doesn't relax fast enough like brass. I have even seen some of these steel base shells effect Benelli autoloaders.
"The Most Important Political Office Is That Of The Private Citizen"  Louis Brandeis

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 11:39:22 PM »
I've seen this problem with shotguns of every brand and make. In fact, I haven't yet shot one that didn't have the issue of the bulls sticking. With the auto loaders that I've seen, the hulls stick and the extractor rips through the steel rim...

Offline fishguy

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 09:35:30 AM »
I had that problem in mine as well. Target loads - low brass = stuck!  Not everytime, but occasionally. You will have no problems with pheasant loads or higher brass. The 870 has been around forever. They are good shotguns!