Handguns, Rifles & Shotguns > Shotguns

New 870 Issue

(1/3) > >>

Z3R0:
So I just picked up an 870 Express, brand new.

Went and put a few shells through it today, first one fired, and the pump would not for the life of me move, so I ended up just kind of wiggling it back and it finally cycled.  It seems like its getting better but it continued to happen a couple times out of the 50 shells i fired.  Is it just a symptom of a new gun or should I get it checked out?

Dan W:
It is a common problem with steel based hulls and a rough chamber. My guess is you were firing some inexpensive target ammo that has steel bases or brass washed steel bases.

Problem usually goes away when brass based hulls are used.

You may get better function after a good polishing of the chamber, but beware you don't get carried away and wear it out with excessive or over aggressive abrasives

Z3R0:

--- Quote from: Dan W on March 07, 2012, 09:34:57 PM ---It is a common problem with steel based hulls and a rough chamber. My guess is you were firing some inexpensive target ammo that has steel bases or brass washed steel bases.

Problem usually goes away when brass based hulls are used.

You may get better function after a good polishing of the chamber, but beware you don't get carried away and wear it out with excessive or over aggressive abrasives

--- End quote ---

thats what I figured, Ill just keep putting ammo through it till it loosens up. thanks

bullit:
Did you clean and lube it before shooting it?

gsd:
it's a horrible defect.  Give it to me and I will dispose of it for you :)

jk,brand new guns are usually a bit tight.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version