< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Nebraska Students for Concealed Carry  (Read 5503 times)

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
Re: Nebraska Students for Concealed Carry
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2012, 06:45:57 PM »
Received potentially positive responses from two state legislators so far:

Senator Tony Fulton (29, south central Lincoln)

Senator Pete Pirsch (4, western Omaha-ish)

Both expressed interest in meeting in person, Senator Tony used particularly positive wording. I'll be holding off meeting them in person until I can get everything/everyone more organized, and receive counsel from veteran NFOA members/directors on proper protocol for these meetings. I would prefer to avoid any missteps, political or personal, so early on this journey. If  Dan or Allen would be willing to let me 'tag along' to an NFOA meeting with one or more legislators, I would much appreciate it.

Also, as far as females in the organization: the campus director for Doane is a lovely young lady whom I recently introduced to firearms. I spoke to my German professor today, and much to my surprise, she has a CHP and used to open carry daily when she worked on the NA reservation (she doesn't look/act the type at all). I am hoping to talk her into taking an active role in the organization in the future. Also received a very negative response from an English teacher... eh, she's not even a citizen, but she had said some things before that made me believe she would be supportive. Kinda puzzling.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 06:58:49 PM by wallace11bravo »

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2012, 09:50:24 PM »
Sen. Fulton, i've heard good things about this guy...
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2012, 08:05:30 AM »
Sen. Fulton, I've heard good things about this guy...

Yes, Senator Fulton is a great guy and very supportive to work with, unfortunately this is his last year in the Legislature.  I hear that there may be something exciting for him in the near future once his time in the Legislature is over but I have not heard what, thats being kept under wraps at the moment.

Even with him not being in the Legislature he would be able to assist in writing bills, teaching how to effectively Lobby, and sharing who will be your friends and who will be opposed to your efforts.  The education he can give is invaluable.

This is where I take a moment and thank all the Senators who take the time to teach us how to be more effective and all the little things they do to help make organizations like ours go.

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2012, 04:58:15 PM »
With the education crowd you'll certainly need logical arguments with statistics to counter every one of the media myths you'll run into.  Best of luck!
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2012, 07:28:31 PM »
Common sense does not prevail in institutions of "higher learning".

The big red U of N controls the legislature..... They get whatever they want. Convince them guns are good and you can fix the entire state. (OK, except the city of Omaha) ------ It absolutely disgusts me that taxpayer dollars fund a good chunk of this institution and yet their liberal, lack of common sense leaders dictate whatever they want with the Legislature.

I worked for MCC for 10 years....... For faculty active shooter training, their "so called Police Chief" told me I should throw a stapler or a chair at a guy with an AK 47 if he turned on me...... Seriously......... I decided I valued my personal safety more than I enjoyed my teaching job there, so I left.

Offline HuskerXDM

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2012, 08:54:31 PM »
It's gambling, plain and simple.  School administrations and school boards will bet on a numbers game in the hopes that "it doesn't happen here."  School shootings, statistically, are rare.  But so are fires (and we have 10 drills for that every year), tornadoes, bomb threats...you get the point.  In our "Code Red" drill I huddle all my students in the coat area.... all together in one little area... in the hopes that nobody sees us.  Gambling.

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2012, 10:35:16 PM »
Husker XDM; Very true. They will say that crime on campus is rare, but they spend millions on campus police and security. Are you a staff member at a education institution? If so, which one? Would love to have your input at our first meeting.

Chris: Thanks for the input on UNL's influence in state legislature. Winning the support of the administration would be a huge boost, and I am hoping to achieve that in due time, and hopefully with NFOA's assistance.

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2012, 11:07:41 PM »
Wallace I didn't want to bash the most recent post on facebook there, so I thought I would bring it to your attention here.

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. - Sigmund Freud.

Please never post such garbage that makes us look like immature fourth graders that get a laugh out of insensitive absurd comments. I have been looking forward to joining a group that uses logic to get a point across, not one that is not taken seriously.

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2012, 11:30:56 PM »
Sorry about that, it was posted by another admin. I spoke to the individual about it. It has been removed. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 11:37:34 PM by wallace11bravo »

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2012, 11:40:56 PM »
In addition, this quote is often misattributed to Freud. 

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Sigmund_Freud

Wallace,

You sound like a very intelligent man.  I am sure you are well aware of the hurtles you have ahead of you.  The biggest misconception you need to overcome is the attitude that students are not mature enough for such a right.  You can not give them any reason to think otherwise.

Good luck!

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline HuskerXDM

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2012, 11:45:16 PM »
@Wallace, I work in an elementary school in Lincoln, and aspire to be an administrator.  Your situation is somewhat different than mine, and yet it all boils down to the fact that we aren't allowed to defend ourselves during a large portion of our days.  I'll see what I can swing as far as coming to the meeting.

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2012, 11:45:49 PM »
Fly,
Oh I most certainly understand. I assure you that I intend to convey guidelines for intelligent, fact driven debate at our first meeting. As was said earlier, facts will eventually overcome feelings and speculation.

I know it sounds like I'm bull****ting, but I assure you that was not posted by me. I took it down immediately after learning about it here, and spoke to the individual who posted it. Sorry that I cannot give you more than my word on that.

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2012, 11:47:13 PM »
Sorry about that, it was posted by another admin. I spoke to the individual about it. It has been removed. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

It is still in the wall photos section. Thanks for removing the post though

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2012, 05:04:02 PM »
Fly,
Oh I most certainly understand. I assure you that I intend to convey guidelines for intelligent, fact driven debate at our first meeting. As was said earlier, facts will eventually overcome feelings and speculation.

I know it sounds like I'm bullguanoting, but I assure you that was not posted by me. I took it down immediately after learning about it here, and spoke to the individual who posted it. Sorry that I cannot give you more than my word on that.

I am not doubting you in the least.  Just suggesting that anyone who is going to help you spearhead this movement needs to be thoroughly briefed on why that kind of commentary will work against you.  Just as having to deal with employees is likely the most stressful part of running a company, you too are going to have to spend a lot of time keeping everyone's emotions in check.  I don't envy you, but I do hope you succeed.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2012, 01:21:26 PM »
Last call for the meeting tonight! 5:00pm @ the city campus student union (near the coffee bar)

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2012, 08:43:38 PM »
Results of our initial meeting:

1. The NSCC will ask the Nebraska Firearms Owner's Association to be it's "parent" organization.
2. An advanced CCW permit bill, allowing CCW on campus and every other unsecured public location, will be our primary objective for legislative action.
3. We still need active members who are willing to donate time and resources to this organization.

Offline HuskerXDM

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2012, 10:01:42 PM »
It was good to meet you tonight
-HuskerXDM aka Dave

Offline Dtrain323i

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2012, 12:11:57 PM »
Apparently a UNO Art Teacher got carjacked last night in the parking lot. The law clearly works

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2012, 04:45:32 PM »
Here's the UNO Carjacking Story............

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120330/NEWS97/703309874

FYI,

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2012, 05:29:50 PM »
Thanks, I'll be using that.

If this had happened to me, I would be working up a suit against the State right meow.