< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: california gun show  (Read 2395 times)

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
california gun show
« on: March 12, 2012, 01:21:17 AM »
Since I was trapped in CA over the weekend I attended the Del Mar CA gun show. This is my report.

Arrived about 10:00am, probably 700 people outside in line, I was maybe 2-3 long guns being carried for sale.  Evidently since personal sales must go through dealer, and subject to 10 day wait, no one brings guns to a show for sale.  First off inside the door they moved the line quickly 4 rows of ticket takers.  Outside food vendors, one large ammo/componant vendor, just in the door, 3-4 large ammo vendors, cases of ammo stacked to the roof, prices about what mail order costs are before shipping.   So my first surprise was stacks and stacks piles and piles of what appeared to be high capacity magazines, from surplus sten/sterling and other SMG mags, to modern high cap pistol magazines and the new Ruger 10-22 25rnd magazines. I thought What the Hell,  upon closer inspection all these magazines were removed from their packageing taken apart and re-packaged with a sticker saying this was a high capacity magazine rebuild kit and that it was illegal in the state of CA to assemble this magazine.  Plenty of new handguns of all types.  Every type/configuration of AR type weapon, somehow modified so that it requires a tool to remove the magazine.  This was as simple as a .223 cartridge tip to push a below flush mag retainer, to more elaborate systems that released in the presence of a magnet.  Minimal amount of used guns at dealer's tables, only black powder type guns are cash and carry, all others "not sure of C&R" were buy it, ship it to your dealer or pick it up 10 days later.  BATFE had a booth there. the agent at the booth told me 10yrs ago the show was 4 times as large. It was in one large building, maybe 4times the size of Christiensen Field in Fremont.

Same sad amount of flea market crap as our gun shows.  Way too much cheap knockoff AR type accy, and cheap Chi-Com optics, bags, etc. Very little high end gear,  While I could have bought a gun, usually at gun shows I only buy things not available from wholesalers. Since the used gun market was almost nil there was no gun shopping needed by me as I can order wholesale.  So I bought some flea market stuff, I bought a 10-22 magazine release from CA Competition Specialties,  There was one rifle company set up that caught my eye of a takedown bolt gun, but $5000.00 was not in my budget for this trip.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
Re: california gun show
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 01:24:39 AM »
Oh yea same went with spare uppers for AR type weapons, all configurations sold, long/short/threaded/muzzled every configuration with a tag saying illegal to assemble to a receiver in the state of california.

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 06:40:21 AM »
ahh cali gun haters and their pinned mags LOL. 
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 11:36:12 AM »
Interesting that the BATFE had a booth....

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 06:10:04 PM »
Thanks for the excellent report.  Wanted to know how bad CA are at Gun Shows. 

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 08:52:05 PM »
Larger gun shows like Sioux Falls SD and Tulsa Ok always have BATFE booths.  They give out forms, have the youth handgun safety act fliers, and printouts of who may buy/sell what and where in regards to gun shows.  I have picked up needed form 4473s and fingerprint cards from their booths.

Offline Ross Berck

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 08:42:42 AM »
Great report, thanks

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 06:09:06 PM »
When I set the “Way-Back Clock” to June of 1983 I seem to remember attending a gun show at the Cow Palace in San Francisco.  The place was filled to the rafters with booths and dealers of every kind selling everything from ammo to guns to bubblegum.  If you have never been to the Cow Palace in SF, its roughly the size of the Super Dome. 

A friend brought along an old Raven .25ACP that he wanted to trade to someone for a Jennings .22LR pistol, and ended up buying an AR (cant remember the exact make) that had a full military bolt-carrier group.  Having been an Air force Security Policeman at the time I was pretty familiar with the weapon, and after talking to the dealer and taking the weapon down for inspection I asked how he ended up getting that particular part.  I know that they were not available to the general public, he never would answer that one. 

The very next day we were out in the hinterlands shooting on public lands and I took the time to familiarize the guy with his new weapon.  I also took the time to sight in my brand new Weather Mk-V 300WbM.  It was a good day, and that is what leave is all about, the good days.

Now I live in Nebraska.  Given the above report on current gun show’s in California I can honestly say that while I may have grown up there, I’m glad my kids didn’t.

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 12:43:00 AM »
Back in the day when Colt came out with the SP-1 rifle they had neutered the bolt carrier of the M16 system, as patents ran out and other manuf. started to build that type of rifle they followed the plan by shipping non M16 type bolt carriers.  Durring the 1994 AW ban Colt started shipping LE/Only rifles with M16 bolt carriers, no one noticed or complained, then the AW ban went away and more and more M16 bolt carriers started shipping in any manuf. guns. No one noticed or cared.  The 9mm Colt gun and Colt type clones of that 9mm system always came with full auto bolt carriers.

Offline Coasti

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 12:08:51 PM »
This is why I am happy I have 4 days left in California!

Growing up here in California I was never interested in shooting or firearms because it was never part of my life to begin with(which is the case with many people here). But after I joined the Coast Guard it became fun, and while I was stationed in Texas I bought my first two guns and I became more involved. I've been in California for a year since leaving active duty and have held off on buying any guns (besides a 10/22) because I didn't want to 'waste' my money on a neutered gun. But now the wait is almost over, and can't wait to start building my collection!

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 12:31:08 AM »
This is why I am happy I have 4 days left in California!

Growing up here in California I was never interested in shooting or firearms because it was never part of my life to begin with(which is the case with many people here). But after I joined the Coast Guard it became fun, and while I was stationed in Texas I bought my first two guns and I became more involved. I've been in California for a year since leaving active duty and have held off on buying any guns (besides a 10/22) because I didn't want to 'waste' my money on a neutered gun. But now the wait is almost over, and can't wait to start building my collection!

Where are you moving to?  Nebraska?  If so, that is quite a change from California or Texas.  If not, just curious what your tie is to Nebraska?

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 09:01:24 PM »
It's like a foreign country... 
NRA Life Member.

Offline dark 45

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 02:18:41 PM »
don't remind me... eh i stopped going to the shows because they basicly turned into knife coin and beef jerky shows with gun related items here and there.... it is horrible. thank god i moved.