< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: SD Lawmakers Approve "Permit-less" Concealed Weapons Carry Bill  (Read 1909 times)

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
SD Lawmakers Approve "Permit-less" Concealed Weapons Carry Bill
« on: February 28, 2012, 10:20:38 PM »
http://www.keloland.com/NewsDetail6162.cfm/SD_Lawmakers_Approve_Concealed_Weapons_Carry_Bill/?Id=128393

PIERRE, SD - The South Dakota Legislature has given final approval to a measure allowing people to carry concealed weapons without a permit as long as they have a driver's license and otherwise meet state standards for owning guns.

The Senate voted 22-11 to pass the bill, which was approved earlier by the House. It will become law if signed by Gov. Dennis Daugaard.

~~  See more at link ~~

Now is it time we start working on this here in Nebraska?  If not now, when?
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline maanbr

• NFOA Full Member
Re: SD Lawmakers Approve "Permit-less" Concealed Weapons Carry Bill
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 10:30:26 PM »
I'll have to look deeper into this later, but it says it will allow residents of SD to carry w/o a permit.  Are NR's still required to have a permit recognized by SD?

Offline 66bigblock

• Lead Benefactor
  • When SHTF, which side of the Fan will you be on?
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 11:02:28 PM »
Well, what about all the poor people that cant afford a drivers license?  To me it seems like this law is promoting class warfare.  This law needs to be struck down by the ACLU as an attack on underpriveleged people, aliens that cannot legally get a drivers license, blind people, people that cannot drive a vehicle because they have no hands, elderly people that can no longer pass a drivers license test, etc.

THIS LAW IS TOTALLY ILLEGAL AND MUST BE ABOLISHED NOW!

66bigblock

Just kidding people.  Its called sarcasm...

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.  I carry a lot of ammo because I cant run very fast.

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 11:21:59 AM »
Well, what about all the poor people that cant afford a drivers license?  To me it seems like this law is promoting class warfare.  This law needs to be struck down by the ACLU as an attack on underpriveleged people, aliens that cannot legally get a drivers license, blind people, people that cannot drive a vehicle because they have no hands, elderly people that can no longer pass a drivers license test, etc.

THIS LAW IS TOTALLY ILLEGAL AND MUST BE ABOLISHED NOW!

66bigblock

Just kidding people.  Its called sarcasm...

I get that you are kidding but what about people that don't drive? Seems they need to have an alternate acceptable form of ID as well.

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 02:29:40 PM »
http://www.keloland.com/NewsDetail6162.cfm/SD_Lawmakers_Approve_Concealed_Weapons_Carry_Bill/?Id=128393

PIERRE, SD - The South Dakota Legislature has given final approval to a measure allowing people to carry concealed weapons without a permit as long as they have a driver's license and otherwise meet state standards for owning guns.

The Senate voted 22-11 to pass the bill, which was approved earlier by the House. It will become law if signed by Gov. Dennis Daugaard.
     ~~  See more at link ~~
Now is it time we start working on this here in Nebraska?  If not now, when?

I am all for it- I know in another thread several people thought NFOA should have other priorities for this year. I won't argue, but I think this trend (Constitutional Carry) is a wonderful development that appears to be gaining momentum nation-wide.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 06:35:50 AM »
Oklahoma's House passed an Open Carry bill Tuesday.  The Governor intends to sign if their Senate passes it.  The bill passed both houses a couple of years ago, but the Dem Gov Brad Henry vetoed it

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 08:42:03 AM »
Yes, yes.  Very interested.  The momentum is there If there is the resources.  Sometimes you have to thow a lot of mud against the wall and see what sticks.
~1522~    In an effort to reduce the continuing fear surrounding the black magic of guns and black powder, a Bavarian necromancer states that rifles are more accurate than smoothbores because the spinning bullet doesn't allow a demon to gain purchase upon it.

Offline LM4202

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 05:14:06 AM »
I remember when I was stationed at Ellsworth AFB, in SD, all it took me was mailing in the $5 and a few days later, got my first CWP.  Now they won't even need that. 

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 08:18:25 AM »
Nebraska has had this since 1988. No one in power will admit it though!
Sidearms Training Academy
La Luz, NM

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 10:47:07 PM »
Gunscribe is correct, in that Art. I-1 as amended into the State Constitution by the People in 1988 says so, but it took less than a year for the Nebraska Supremes to say it was not so..... And the Law is what the Old Boy Network sez it is.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 02:33:27 PM »
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-03-05/drivers-license-gun-permits/53391932/1

In part: "States that have been or are considering bills in current legislative sessions include Colorado, Iowa, Georgia, Kentucky, Maine, New Hampshire, Ohio, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota and Virgina, according to the NRA."

Two thoughts:

1) RHODE ISLAND!?! Seriously?

2) As I said earlier this appears to be gaining steam nationally. If even half of these states implement Constitutional Carry it will put the total into double digits- same thing appears to be happening as with CCW, but a LOT faster. Hooray for Liberty!
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 09:26:31 PM »
All that means is that bills have been proposed. It really means squat until it actually clears both state houses and the governor signs it. Which in New Hampshire the governor is a democrat and most likely will not sign it.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 06:17:19 AM »
All that means is that bills have been proposed. It really means squat until it actually clears both state houses and the governor signs it. Which in New Hampshire the governor is a democrat and most likely will not sign it.

That's precisely what they used to say about "permitted" concealed carry across the nation.  Do you remember what the map used to look like?

« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 06:26:38 AM by FarmerRick »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 08:45:47 AM »
I've always loved that map.  Anti's are stunned (though they won't admit it) when they see all the pretty blue.  :)
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 10:05:37 PM »
The easy of handgun carry and no state permit system, means that SD residents have to do a NICS check on every firearms purchase and be subject to NICS delays as they happen.

Few states accept a CCW permit from a state like SD with no training requirement.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2012, 10:33:05 AM »
The easy of handgun carry and no state permit system, means that SD residents have to do a NICS check on every firearms purchase and be subject to NICS delays as they happen.

Few states accept a CCW permit from a state like SD with no training requirement.

That is a complication. The solution is to implement constitutional carry in more states! However you cut it less govt involvement (infringement) is good.

Also, couldn't we keep the purchaser permit system to 'expedite' purchases?

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2012, 12:24:06 AM »
January 1 2011 Wyoming changed their laws that no Wy resident needs a permit to carry in Wy. but a permit is available to allow them to carry in states that honor the Wy permit.  The deal with the SD permit system is there is no background check or training for the permit, so it does not meet the training/background requirements of many state's reciprocity, not does it meet the federal requirement to bypass the NICS.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger