< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Moving to Lincoln Need some advice  (Read 1759 times)

Offline borrowedsig

• Forum Member
Moving to Lincoln Need some advice
« on: March 20, 2012, 10:24:58 PM »
Hi all, my name is matt and this is my first post here.
Im living in washington state currently but as of the beginning of april i will be living in lincoln.
I have been a CCW holder for about 5 years now, was very involved in IDPA out here and am an AR freak.
My wife also has been a CCW holder for about 2 years.

My understanding of the current laws are, i have to be a citizen of nebraska IE: 6 months of residence before we can take the CC class whihc is running about 125 ish? Then i have to pay $100 bucks to the SP to get my CCW.
If any of that is incorrect please feel free to correct me/it.

My questions are, What is the current feeling on open carrying there and in surrounding areas?
Ive read that you can carry loaded in your vehicle as long as its in the open and you tell the officer when he approaches your vehicle, true or false?

Thats pretty much it for now lol. Love the board and i look forward to your input.

Thanks, Matt

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Moving to Lincoln Need some advice
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 10:52:04 PM »
You are pretty close on the regs.

180 days establishes your residency. You can take the classes, then apply when the wait time is up. Unless you are military, then there is a waiver, but I am not sure about the terms.

Lincoln open carry... Back before the CHP was law I did it, but I was very discreet. Mostly in the car, gas station, etc.

Now that we have 5 years of legal concealed carry , I think the LEO's are more prepared for a man with a gun encounter, but since Lincoln's police dept. is a pretty antigun outfit I would still avoid any unnecessary contact.

Be advised that Lincoln also has some ordinances that ban possession of firearms by certain misdemeanor offenders.

http://www.lincoln.ne.gov/city/attorn/lmc/ti09/ch936.pdf

9.36.100 Unlawful Possession of Firearms.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to possess any firearm within the corporate limits or on any property of the City of Lincoln outside the corporate limits when that person has been convicted of any one of the following offenses within the last ten years:

Stalking in violation of Neb. Rev. Stat. § 28-311.03 or any other comparable or similar state statute from another state;

Violation of a protection order as set forth in Neb. Rev. Stat. § 42-924
or Violation of a foreign protection order as set forth in Neb. Rev. Stat. § 42-931;

False imprisonment in the second degree in violation of Neb. Rev. Stat. § 28-315;

Sexual assault in the third degree in violation of Neb. Rev. Stat. § 28-320;

Impersonating a peace officer in violation of Neb. Rev. Stat. § 28-610; or, Impersonating police officer in violation of Lincoln Municipal Code § 9.08.060;

Debauching a Minor in violation of Neb. Rev. Stat. § 28-805;

Obstructing government operations in violation of Neb. Rev. Stat. § 28-901;

Resisting arrest in violation of Neb. Rev. Stat. § 28-904;

Resisting officer in violation of Lincoln Municipal Code § 9.08.030;

Obstructing a peace officer in violation of Neb. Rev. Stat. § 28-906;

Interfering with an officer making an arrest in violation of Lincoln Municipal Code § 9.08.020;

Carrying concealed weapon in violation of Neb. Rev. Stat. § 28-1202;

Criminal child enticement in violation of Neb. Rev. Stat. § 28-311;

Implements for escape in violation of Neb. Rev. Stat. § 28-913;

Unlawful possession of explosives, second degree in violation of Neb. Rev. Stat.
§ 28-1216;

Use of explosives without a permit in violation of Neb. Rev. Stat. § 28-1218;

Concealing the death of another person in violation of Neb. Rev. Stat. §28-1302;

Minors not to be furnished with firearms, ammunition, or weapons in violation of Lincoln Municipal Code § 9.36.020;

Discharge of firearms unlawful in violation of Lincoln Municipal Code § 9.36.010;

Assault in the third degree in violation of Neb. Rev. Stat. § 28-310;

Assault and battery, menacing threats in violation of Lincoln Municipal Code §9.12.010;

Unlawful intrusion in violation of Neb. Rev. Stat. § 28-311.08;

Violation of custody in violation of Neb. Rev. Stat. § 28-316;

Domestic assault in violation of Neb. Rev. Stat. § 28-323;

Criminal trespass in the first degree in violation of Neb. Rev. Stat. § 28-520;

Contributing to the delinquency of a child in violation of Neb. Rev. Stat. § 28-709;

Public indecency in violation of Neb. Rev. Stat. § 28-806;

Public indecency or indecent exposure in violation of Lincoln Municipal Code § 9.16.180;

Operating a motor vehicle or vessel to avoid arrest in violation of Neb. Rev. Stat. § 28-905;

Fleeing in a vehicle to avoid arrest in violation of Lincoln Municipal Code § 10.14.280;

any violation of the Uniform Controlled Substances Act as set forth in Neb. Rev. Stat. §§ 28-401 to 28-456.01;

Toxic compounds, unlawful use in violation of Lincoln Municipal Code §9.16.110;

Criminal attempt in violation of Neb. Rev. Stat. § 28-201 for any of the state crimes set forth in this subsection (a).

(b) It shall be unlawful for any person to possess any firearm within the corporate limits or on any property of the City of Lincoln outside the corporate limits when that person has been convicted of two or more of the following offenses within the last ten years:

Driving under the influence of alcoholic liquor or drugs in violation of Neb. Rev. Stat. § 60-6,196;

Driving under the influence of alcoholic liquor or drugs in violation of Lincoln Municipal Code § 10.16.030;

Implied consent to submit to chemical test, refusal in violation of Neb. Rev. Stat. § 60-6-197;

Chemical test, refusal in violation of Lincoln Municipal Code §10.16.040; or any conviction under a law of another state or municipality if at the time of the conviction under said law the offence for which the person was convicted would have been a violation of Neb. Rev. Stat. §§ 60-6,196 or 60-6,197.

(c) The provisions of this section shall not apply to (1) the issuance of firearms or the possession by members of the Armed Forces of the United States, active or reserve, the National Guard of this state, or Reserve Officers Training Corps, when on duty or training; or (2) a peace officer as defined by Neb. Rev. Stat. § 28-109(14). (Ord. 19060 §1; March 24, 2008: prior Ord. 18793 §1; August 21, 2006: Ord. 18158 §1; April 7, 2003).
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline 66bigblock

• Lead Benefactor
  • When SHTF, which side of the Fan will you be on?
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 12:19:43 AM »

180 days establishes your residency.

UNLESS you want to run for US Senate. 

Then you can just say you are living in your sisters basement and you are all good...

66bigblock
I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.  I carry a lot of ammo because I cant run very fast.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 08:41:50 AM »

UNLESS you want to run for US Senate. 

Then you can just say you are living in your sisters basement and you are all good...

66bigblock

Personally, I don't think Kerry has a leg to stand on.    :laugh:

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 09:17:20 AM »
Unfortunatly Nebraska does not recognize the Washington permit, if it did the 180 day wait would have been waived.  You wouldn't also have a Utah permit would you, we recognize that so then the wait to establish residency would be waived.

Offline borrowedsig

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 09:46:33 AM »
Thanks for all the info guys i appreciate it.

I have always been pretty leary of open carry especially out here.
Its sad that Police are so anti gun, its extremly unneccessary.
I have no misdimeanor or felony so ill probably just wait on it just to be safe.

Any good links to the knife carry laws?

Matt

Offline Brian

• NFOA Full Member