< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Handgun permit  (Read 2230 times)

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
Handgun permit
« on: March 25, 2012, 08:14:09 PM »
How long should I expect to wait for the purchase permit my first time? A matter of hours until my 21st and I plan on waiting for the sheriffs office to open in the morning to apply. Also does anybody know if I should have any problem using my temporary paper id? I plan on taking my old id, utility bill, and birth certificate just in case they hassle me about the id.

You can't put my excitement into words. A year of waiting and researching handguns and saving excessive amounts of money for a college student is meeting it's culmination.

Thanks in advance!

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: Handgun permit
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 08:33:06 PM »
bradkoll

Every Firearm Purchase Certificate [the official name, even though it's for handguns] I've ever gotten has been on a while-you-wait in the office basis.   About 20-25 minutes, in-and-out.

My experience is all in Douglas County/Omaha.    Lancaster County may be a different situation.

Once while waiting for my permit, a Douglas County Sheriff's Deputy said to me, "You have no business with getting that permit."   Which comment I thought was quite curious, especially given its source.

You might want to take your Nebraska Driver's/Operator's License with you.    [Not sure just what you mean by "temporary paper ID".]

From Nebraska State Statute 69-2404:   If the application is made in person, the applicant shall also present a current Nebraska motor vehicle operator's license, state identification card, or military identification card,

Good luck on your permit.    Now go for the CHP.

sfg
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 08:40:39 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 08:37:22 PM »

69-2404. Certificate; application; fee.

Any person desiring to purchase, lease, rent, or receive transfer of a handgun shall apply with the chief of police or sheriff of the applicant's place of residence for a certificate. The application may be made in person or by mail. The application form and certificate shall be made on forms approved by the Superintendent of Law Enforcement and Public Safety. The application shall include the applicant's full name, address, date of birth, and country of citizenship. If the applicant is not a United States citizen, the application shall include the applicant's place of birth and his or her alien or admission number. If the application is made in person, the applicant shall also present a current Nebraska motor vehicle operator's license, state identification card, or military identification card, or if the application is made by mail, the application form shall describe the license or card used for identification and be notarized by a notary public who has verified the identification of the applicant through such a license or card. An applicant shall receive a certificate if he or she is twenty-one years of age or older and is not prohibited from purchasing or possessing a handgun by 18 U.S.C. 922. A fee of five dollars shall be charged for each application for a certificate to cover the cost of a criminal history record check.
Source

Laws 1991, LB 355, § 3;
    Laws 2006, LB 1227, § 2;
    Laws 2009, LB63, § 33.
    Effective Date: May 28, 2009

69-2405. Application; chief of police or sheriff; duties; immunity.

Upon the receipt of an application for a certificate, the chief of police or sheriff shall issue a certificate or deny a certificate and furnish the applicant the specific reasons for the denial in writing. The chief of police or sheriff shall be permitted up to three days in which to conduct an investigation to determine whether the applicant is prohibited by law from purchasing or possessing a handgun. If the certificate or denial is mailed to the applicant, it shall be mailed to the applicant's address by first-class mail within the three-day period. If it is determined that the purchase or possession of a handgun by the applicant would be in violation of applicable federal, state, or local law, the chief of police or sheriff shall deny the certificate. In computing the three-day period, the day of receipt of the application shall not be included and the last day of the three-day period shall be included. The three-day period shall expire at 11:59 p.m. of the third day unless it is a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday in which event the period shall run until 11:59 p.m. of the next day which is not a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday. No later than the end of the three-day period the chief of police or sheriff shall issue or deny such certificate and, if the certificate is denied, furnish the applicant the specific reasons for denial in writing. No civil liability shall arise to any law enforcement agency if such law enforcement agency complies with sections 69-2401, 69-2403 to 69-2408, and 69-2409.01.
Source

Laws 1991, LB 355, § 4;
    Laws 1996, LB 1055, § 3;
    Laws 2006, LB 1227, § 3.

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 08:39:45 PM »
The "Firearm Purchase Certificate" is allowed three business days for processing.

Just got one recently in Dakota county...and they used all three days.

Offline AlanS

• Powder Benefactor
    • ShadduckPhotography.com
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 08:50:18 PM »
Hastings: Submitted my application on a Monday and was told it would be mailed out in "two to three days" .. received it in the mail that Friday (they mailed it to me on the third business day).

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 08:55:43 PM »
Brad, I went to the city/county building, filed paperwork, gave them the $5 (has that changed yet?)  and had a permit in the mail 3 days later.  I also just changed addresses, got my temp license, filed for purchase permit, and filed change of address on CHP all in one day!  You should be fine.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 09:18:46 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. Guessing I will have to wait which is fine since I will mail in my final layaway payments to buds once the sheriff accepts the paperwork

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 09:20:58 PM »
There's a pretty decent chance you'll have your purchase permit by the end of the week.
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 06:57:04 AM »
Brad...there was an emergency law passed late last night that has now raised the age to 22 for HG purchases.  Sorry buddy.....   :)

Seriously, congratulations. I recall the the excitement.

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 08:36:13 AM »
Haha thanks bullit. No problems applying, and mailed off my final payments to budsgunshop for the glock 23 gen 4 and s&w 500! Hopefully some local place has a s&w 642 no lock for a decent price, I plan on getting that as soon as my permit comes in. First I counted down the days to my birthday and now I'm counting down days that were imposed on me by the government of this fine state...

Offline Z3R0

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 01:09:03 PM »
Hastings: Submitted my application on a Monday and was told it would be mailed out in "two to three days" .. received it in the mail that Friday (they mailed it to me on the third business day).

I just moved to hastings last year, I was wondering how this would go down here.

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 09:32:57 AM »
Well it has been 72 hours so it better be in the mail. I'm half tempted to call and ask if it has been mailed. Just want to keep them honest :D

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 11:26:05 AM »
Interesting Semper Fi Guy, when applying down at the jail location downtown, I've also been detered from getting my permit.  "You only need it if you plan to make a purchase, so do you plan to make a purchase?"  Me:  IDunno   Them: "Then you dont need it".   Me: "Give me my permit or Imma lawyer your ass all up and down".

Brad:  Get your CCW and screw the purchase permit.  I'll probably still renew mine only because I've had issues in the past tryint to use the CCW to buy a gun, as a just in case thing.

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 12:56:07 PM »
I need the permit so I can actually get a gun, then I will take a ccw course as soon as I feel comfortable with the weapon. Since I will be moving to Omaha I want my ccw beforehand so I don't have to go through all the registration BS.