< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: SAF gets another major victory  (Read 999 times)

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
SAF gets another major victory
« on: March 29, 2012, 01:24:56 PM »
SAF VICTORY STRIKES DOWN NORTH CAROLINA EMERGENCY POWERS GUN BAN

For Immediate Release:   3/29/2012

BELLEVUE, WA – A federal district court judge in North Carolina has just struck down that state’s emergency power to impose a ban on firearms and ammunition outside the home during a declared emergency, ruling that the provision violates the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms.

The case, Bateman v. Purdue, was brought by the Second Amendment Foundation, Grass Roots North Carolina FFE and three individual plaintiffs. Defendants in the case were Gov. Beverly Purdue and Reuben F. Young, secretary of the state’s Department of Crime Control and Public Safety, in their official capacities.

In his opinion, Judge Malcolm J. Howard, senior United States district judge for the Eastern District of North Carolina, wrote, “…the court finds that the statutes at issue here are subject to strict scrutiny…While the bans imposed pursuant to these statutes may be limited in duration, it cannot be overlooked that the statutes strip peaceable, law abiding citizens of the right to arm themselves in defense of hearth and home, striking at the very core of the Second Amendment.”

“When SAF attorney Alan Gura won the Heller case at the Supreme Court,” noted SAF Executive Vice President Alan M. Gottlieb, “the gun ban crowd said that we were a ‘one-trick-pony’ and that we would never knock out another gun law. Well, SAF has now knocked out gun laws in Maryland, Illinois and North Carolina.

“We filed this lawsuit on the day we won the McDonald case against Chicago,” he added, “extending the Second Amendment to all 50 states. This was part of our strategy of winning firearms freedoms one lawsuit at a time.”

Gottlieb pointed to language in Judge Howard’s ruling that solidifies the Second Amendment’s reach outside the home. The judge noted that the Supreme Court in Heller noted that the right to keep and bear arms “was valued not only for preserving the militia, but ‘more important(ly) for self-defense and hunting.”

“Therefore,” Judge Malcolm wrote, “the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms ‘is not strictly limited to the home environment but extends in some form to wherever those activities or needs occur."

“Under the laws at issue here, citizens are prohibited from engaging, outside their home, in any activities secured by the Second Amendment,” Judge Malcolm wrote. They may not carry defensive weapons outside the home, hunt or engage in firearm related sporting activities. Additionally, although the statutes do not directly regulate the possession of firearms within the home, they effectively prohibit law abiding citizens from purchasing and transporting to their homes firearms and ammunition needed for self-defense. As such, these laws burden conduct protected by the Second Amendment.”

The Second Amendment Foundation (www.saf.org) is the nation's oldest and largest tax-exempt education, research, publishing and legal action group focusing on the Constitutional right and heritage to privately own and possess firearms. Founded in 1974, The Foundation has grown to more than 650,000 members and supporters and conducts many programs designed to better inform the public about the consequences of gun control. In addition to the landmark McDonald v. Chicago Supreme Court Case, SAF has previously funded successful firearms-related suits against the cities of Los Angeles; New Haven, CT; New Orleans; Chicago and San Francisco on behalf of American gun owners, a lawsuit against the cities suing gun makers and numerous amicus briefs holding the Second Amendment as an individual right.

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
Re: SAF gets another major victory
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 02:07:57 PM »
Awesome! Another one bites the dust :) More Power to the SAF!

Offline metaldoc

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 04:46:40 PM »
Looks like donations to the SAF would be more beneficial than to the NRA...

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 05:05:01 PM »
We need this kind of "change" in Nebraska too.

http://nebraskalegislature.gov/laws/statutes.php?statute=s8108029040

(6) In addition to any other powers conferred upon the Governor by law, he or she may:

(a) Suspend the provisions of any regulatory statute prescribing the procedures for conduct of state business or the orders, rules, or regulations of any state agency if strict compliance with the provisions of any statute, order, rule, or regulation would in any way prevent, hinder, or delay necessary action in coping with the disaster, emergency, or civil defense emergency;

(b) Utilize all available resources of the state government and of each political subdivision of the state as are reasonably necessary to cope with the disaster, emergency, or civil defense emergency;

(c) Transfer the direction, personnel, or functions of state departments and agencies or units thereof for the purpose of performing or facilitating emergency management;

(d) Subject to any applicable requirements for compensation under section 81-829.57, commandeer or utilize any private property if he or she finds this necessary to cope with the disaster, emergency, or civil defense emergency;

(e) Direct and compel the evacuation of all or part of the population from any stricken or threatened area within the state if he or she deems this action necessary for the preservation of life or other emergency management;

(f) Prescribe routes, modes of transportation, and destinations in connection with evacuation;

(g) Control ingress and egress to and from a disaster area, the movement of persons within the area, and the occupancy of premises in the area;

(h) Suspend or limit the sale, dispensing, or transportation of alcoholic beverages, firearms, explosives, and combustibles; and

(i) Make provisions for the availability and use of temporary emergency housing.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 05:24:42 PM »
MetalDr. - I have been thinking the same.  As much as I enjoy what articles on in the NRA rags and the insurance, and such, the renewal notices just keep stacking up. I just can't bring myself to it when I believe my money could be put to better use by SAF, NSSF, and of course the NFOA.

Rick- DITTO. I wondered about that, also. I just hadn't looked up the law yet to be sure of what I was talking about.  May be a fight in the future. How long before Heineman is out? (I think I feel safe with him at the helm, but the next guy?....)
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 07:22:21 PM »
We had a bill a few years back  (post Katrina) that would have fixed some of this, but it did not gain any traction.

The Senator that introduced it is gone now

http://nebraskafirearms.org/forum/index.php/topic,380.msg2047.html#msg2047

Introducer's Statement of Intent
  LB 1076

Chairperson:    Brad Ashford
Committee:    Judiciary
Date of Hearing:    February 21, 2008

The following constitutes the reasons for this bill and the purposes which are sought to be
accomplished thereby:

The purpose of LB 1076 is to protect a citizen’s 2nd
 amendment rights during a state of
emergency.

LB 1076 prevents a government entity or law enforcement agency from confiscating legally
owned and possessed firearms from law-abiding citizens, and also guarantees that citizens will
be able to protect themselves when presented with a situation when and where police or other
law enforcement personnel may not be available.   

This bill does not apply to those engaged in criminal acts, or those who are not legally entitled to
possess a firearm.   

Principal Introducer:     
  Senator Kent Rogert
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 01:50:44 AM »
Looks like donations to the SAF would be more beneficial than to the NRA...
+1

nah - +100!!!

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 06:42:39 AM »
I'm trying to figure out this political thing, so is there an avenue for people like us in a state like Nebraska, which still has a law like this on the books, to ask the Attorney General or some state office to review said law in light of decisions like this?  Or is the only avenue for someone to file a lawsuit?
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 07:16:44 AM »
I'm trying to figure out this political thing, so is there an avenue for people like us in a state like Nebraska, which still has a law like this on the books, to ask the Attorney General or some state office to review said law in light of decisions like this?  Or is the only avenue for someone to file a lawsuit?

For "people like us "  NO

AG works for the state and all requests must come from the proper channels
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 08:51:34 AM »
I'm More worried about Obama Maybe sighing that UN Global Arms Treaty.

"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"