< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Thank you Senator Fulton.  (Read 1421 times)

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Thank you Senator Fulton.
« on: March 25, 2012, 02:03:30 AM »
Fulton goes on record:
State Sen. Scott Lautenbaugh of Omaha proposed this year to add castle language to Nebraska law. His proposal stated that deadly force should be allowed against a person who forcibly enters another's residence or occupied vehicle.

That language didn't make it out of the Legislature's Judiciary Committee. Sen. Brad Ashford of Omaha said state law already gives people the right to protect themselves in their homes, with deadly force, if necessary.

As for stand-your-ground legislation, he said, the Legislature has turned down several proposals. Senators "have not adopted this Florida thing," he said. "It's dangerous stuff."

Although Lautenbaugh's initial proposal failed to get out of the Judiciary Committee, a compromise pending before the Legislature would protect from civil claims those who had won self-defense cases. The protection would be available specifically in civil suits alleging assault and battery or intentional wrongful death.

Sen. Tony Fulton of Lincoln, a supporter of Lautenbaugh's bill, said the protection against civil litigation doesn't go far enough. Fulton cited a case in Omaha last week in which a 64-year-old man fired at the floor to stop a man who had broken down his front door at 3:45 a.m.
The perpetrator theoretically could claim he was suffering anxiety related to the incident and sue the man for false imprisonment, Fulton said. "That's crazy," he said. Nevertheless, Fulton said, the civil protection is a compromise, and he'll accept that.

As for the broader castle legislation, Fulton said a person should be allowed to defend his property. But legislators must be careful about the wording, he said. They can't draft a law so vague that it protects someone who shoots a person innocently attempting to sell something at the doorstep, he said.

Read remainder of article @: http://owweb.ow.atl.publicus.com/article/20120325/NEWS01/709079928
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Thank you Senator Fulton.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 08:21:44 AM »
As for stand-your-ground legislation, he said, the Legislature has turned down several proposals. Senators "have not adopted this Florida thing," he said. "It's dangerous stuff."

Who said this? Fulton or Ashford?  :(

So it seems the Florida incident has twisted and tarnished the meaning of "stand your ground" legislation.
What's really dangerous is that law abiding citizens have to retreat anywhere outside of their home if they are attacked. Sick world we live in. :angry:

Offline Eagle1

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 09:04:30 AM »
Thankfully we have term limits.
USN 83-87, American Legion

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 11:32:58 AM »
Who said this? Fulton or Ashford?  :(

So it seems the Florida incident has twisted and tarnished the meaning of "stand your ground" legislation.
What's really dangerous is that law abiding citizens have to retreat anywhere outside of their home if they are attacked. Sick world we live in. :angry:

From my reading of the article it is Ashford that said it and he has been against every proposal that has incorporated it.  Yes the Florida incident has colored the argument, and unfortunately with a lack of facts just pushing the emotion.  I think we can all grieve the loss of a 16 year old's life, but that grief can not overcome the facts, and we don't have all the facts.

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 12:29:03 PM »
Thankfully we have term limits.

But they are almost useless because Ernie Q. Public will be back. All he had to do was take a 4 year vacation.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 12:04:24 PM »
Thanks again, Sen. Fulton.

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 11:54:29 AM »
From my reading of the article it is Ashford that said it and he has been against every proposal that has incorporated it.  Yes the Florida incident has colored the argument, and unfortunately with a lack of facts just pushing the emotion.  I think we can all grieve the loss of a 16 year old's life, but that grief can not overcome the facts, and we don't have all the facts.

I'm glad that didn't come out of Fulton's mouth. God bless him. Yes it is tragic that this young man lost his life over such a stupid incident, yet if Zimmerman's story is true then the boy deserved what he got.......it's one of those sad truths.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 12:09:28 PM »
I'm glad that didn't come out of Fulton's mouth. God bless him. Yes it is tragic that this young man lost his life over such a stupid incident, yet if Zimmerman's story is true then the boy deserved what he got.......it's one of those sad truths.

This is one of the best and most accurate things I have read about the Zimmerman incident.  The loss of any life yet that of a 17 year old is tragic and I think in our own way we mourn this loss of life.  But if the story we are currently hearing holds true this happened because of the choices the young man made not of another's decision.

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 01:02:48 PM »
This is one of the best and most accurate things I have read about the Zimmerman incident.  The loss of any life yet that of a 17 year old is tragic and I think in our own way we mourn this loss of life.  But if the story we are currently hearing holds true this happened because of the choices the young man made not of another's decision.

Indeed. I feel sorry for the parents too...can't imagine the pain (even if the child were the devil). Although their inflammatory statements they've made in the media lately have really rubbed me the wrong way.

Offline omaharj

• social catalyst
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 09:06:42 PM »
Any one else like the idea of a plaque that says "Senator Tony Fulton: Thank you for your dedication to the people of Nebraska.  From your friends at the NFOA." Heck I'd even prime the pump with a $10 donation to a fund. The size and quality of the plaque would depend on the amount of donations dedicated to this. No need to tap the NFOA fund.   Waddya think?    RJ

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 10:14:05 PM »
RJ I like that idea, once he is out of office he would be able to accept that type of gift. 

I have heard that he is going on into something else that will continue to serve the state, and be able to be friendly with us.  Don't know what yet it is being kept quite at his time.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 01:01:19 PM »
"Gov. Fulton" has a nice ring to it......

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 02:00:03 PM »
"Gov. Fulton" has a nice ring to it......

Yes it does. 

The only two names I've heard so far as looking to run are Sheehy and Lathrop.   We won't see much for awhile since that election is two years away.  I'd like to see Fulton run.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 05:40:44 PM »
With all due respect to LT GOV Sheehy, he's next in line of the "pecking order".   That seems to be how it goes in NE politics, at least in the Republican party (of which I am a card carrying one) e.g. Bruning stepping aside for Johans.

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2012, 06:09:37 PM »
I don't think Bruning stepped aside out of a duty to Johans.  I think he did because there was no way he would win a primary against Johans.

I like Sheehy, on a personal level, but I don't know if he is ready for prime time.