< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: NE NSP CHP Bottleneck/NFOA/Andy Allen  (Read 2301 times)

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
NE NSP CHP Bottleneck/NFOA/Andy Allen
« on: April 03, 2012, 10:56:23 AM »
Andy............

It's increasingly clear that the NE NSP CHP processing operation in Grand Island is pretty bottlenecked right now with a potload of new and renewal CHP applications.

Seems to be no point in carping on Sgt. Craig Loveless and his group, who are the state employees responsible for the processing operation.    This very demanding task has been handed to Sgt. Loveless as a part-time collateral duty, in addition to his usual trooper training tasks, SWAT team operations, etc., etc.   He's a good man and probably needs more hands and more help to get the backlog reduced and the schedule back on track.

My suggestion here is that it might be worthwhile for an NFOA officer with some official organizational standing to call Sgt. Loveless and see if there is any action that can be taken by the NFOA to draw attention to the obvious staffing needs for the CHP processing operation.    Temps, part-timers, volunteers, whatever.    AT $100 per pop, it would seem that hiring additional hands would speed up their revenue flow.

Anyhow, you are the official that I have in mind to make the call.

Your thoughts, comments, etc., are invited.

[By the way, my 5-day CHP renewal period is now at 35 days.   Good thing I started 4 months early.   And if we can't count on a mandatory 5 days, we also can't count on the mandatory 45 days.]

sfg

Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline cruiser1947

• NFOA Full Member
Re: NE NSP CHP Bottleneck/NFOA/Andy Allen
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 04:01:09 PM »
I wish that something would be done. My CCW permit application was sent in 50 days ago and I have heard nothing. I was told that it would be 90 days and it looks like it is going to be that long.  This was at Troop D in North Platte.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 04:39:24 PM by cruiser1947 »

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 04:55:05 PM »
I wish that something would be done. My CCW permit application was sent in 50 days ago and I have heard nothing. I was told that it would be 90 days and it looks like it is going to be that long.  This was at Troop D in North Platte.

The law says if it is not done in 45 you get a permit issued anyway.  That permit can be invalidated once all of the paperwork is done on your actual application.  I would like to see people demand the permit be issued as stated in the statute. 
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline omaharj

• social catalyst
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 05:24:04 PM »
I agree. Perhaps it's intentional by high up executives in the NSP to understaff the process,perhaps not. Either way, the NSP isn't following the statute and should be called on the carpet. At what we are being charged,this should be a positive cash flow situation for them. If they claim otherwise,I'd like to see a cost analysis of the process. Maybe we can get the cost lowered,heheh.  Go get 'em Andy.   
RJ

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 08:39:19 PM »
I don't believe Sgt Loveless has anything to do with the issuing of permits, he is simply the one responsible for CHP Instructors.

All permits are processed at the Lincoln CID office, and they seem to be seriously under staffed. I would recommend that anyone who does not get their permit in the time prescribed by law call the Governors office... maybe plenty of squeaky wheels in that direction will make some changes.

I know that Sen Christensen's Office was in contact with the Capt in charge of Professional Standards, but that didn't seem to light any fires.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 08:50:11 PM »
009.01 If the application for a permit to carry a concealed handgun is complete and all accompanying documentation is submitted, a permit will be issued to the applicant by the Nebraska State Patrol within forty-five (45) calendar days so long as the record check reveals no disqualifying information and applicant meets all of the requirements of the Act and these regulations. If the record check can not be completed within the forty-five (45) calendar day limitation, a permit will be issued but is subject to cancellation if information is received that disqualifies the applicant.

People need to demand that the NSP follow the law and issue a permit after 45 days if they can not find any disqualifying information within that time frame
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 09:07:14 PM »
The people processing them are anti-ccw.  I've had numerous conversations with them.  The old NSP attorney steve shaw was an ok guy but the new one is totaly against us.  Dont feel bad about calling them.  They are just desk jokeys and do not represent the NSP.  give them hell and dont feel bad because they would gladly do the same thing to you.

Offline tufftrav

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 03:15:09 PM »
Maybe it would be a good idea to call Mike Mcknight with Channel 6 here in Omaha and see if he can shed some light on the situation. I wouldn't see that as such a bad thing for our cause.

Offline red71

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 06:31:00 PM »
[By the way, my 5-day CHP renewal period is now at 35 days.   Good thing I started 4 months early.   And if we can't count on a mandatory 5 days, we also can't count on the mandatory 45 days]

I applied for renewal Jan 31, after two calls I received mine today. btw the envelope was stamped confidential but wasn't sealed...