< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Lincoln Open Carry In Parks  (Read 2857 times)

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
Lincoln Open Carry In Parks
« on: April 27, 2012, 09:51:37 PM »
Well I just cut my bullhead fishing trip short to Oak Lake due to a drug dealer van flashing his lights at me... I had just hooked a 4 inch bullhead, don't know how it ate the hook, and needed my pliers out of my car. I noticed this van come into the parking lot about 100 yards away 5-10 minutes prior to needing the pliers. So I grab my bucket and head to the car and on my way back he flashes his lights at me. I walk away from his van that is about 30 yards from my car and hide in the darkness of a tree, good thing I had my cold weather realtree clothes on. Anyways I scurry to my car when he is occupied by a car that drove up to probably get some drugs and get the hell out of Dodge.

This leads me to ask, am I allowed to open carry there? I almost brought my Glock 23 but wasn't sure if I was allowed to open carry or if I would be allowed to keep it secured in my tackle box. If I kept it in the tackle box would it be considered concealed since it isn't on my immediate person? This motivates me to save my money and get into a concealed carry class ASAP.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: Lincoln Open Carry In Parks
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 11:11:25 PM »
bradkoll:

If you'll leave that bullhead on the line for bait, you might catch a nice big fish worth keeping.

If you open carry in a Lincoln city park, you'll get a visit from a man in uniform on heightened alert who's been called about a man with a gun.     

If you carry a handgun in your tackle box, it's not being transported.   It's being concealed.

You need your CHP.    I sent a separate PM to you on this last item.

sfg

Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 08:29:58 AM »
I'm glad you're finally getting on this! It really makes life easier to have the permit. You could open carry it to the waters edge and use the tackle box to block peoples view of it.

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 01:51:10 PM »
I will be going to Twin Lakes WMA between Lincoln and Seward for fishing today/tonight. I know open carry is allowed at WMA's so I will definitely feel safer today. Hopefully won't feel the need to constantly check out my surroundings like at Oak Lake.

And SemperFiGuy thanks for the offer but I simply don't know anybody that would be interested. I'm the only gun guy on either side of my family and I would have maybe 1 friend interested in taking a class, but he doesn't have his own handgun. However he is a sufficient shot with my Glock, not so much the 642.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 06:21:48 PM »
bradkoll

Gotcher msg.

Now......Please bear with me while I suggest that you need to broaden your Friends base to include some shooters.   So that you can delight in their company.   And borrow stuff.

And.....Last I heard, you're transferring to the UNO campus in the fall.    I'm over at the Peter Kiewit Center in Architectural Engineering.   You're welcome to drop by, put your feet up on the desk, and talk about items of mutual interest.   [When you walk by my office, it's the one with Rush Limbaugh on the radio.]

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 11:03:20 PM »
[When you walk by my office, it's the one with Rush Limbaugh on the radio.]

Wow! Rush Limbaugh on a campus, let alone UNO!  You must be like a green spotted tiger on campus.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 03:15:24 PM »
 Slightly off topic but with all the LEO and open carry talk:

I was doing 65 in a 55 last night on my way home through Nebraska City. Woopee lights came on behind me, I pulled over. I immediately informed the officer I was open carrying. He said, ok, and let me know why he pulled me over.

He asked if he could run the serial # on the weapon. I thought about the location, and the recent Cabela's break in in KC, and also contemplated the likelihood of getting off with a warning. I decided to let him run it, and low and behold, I got off with a warning.

Good interaction, officer was very friendly and professional, and even complimented my choice of weapon.

Not really a moral to the story, just an interesting tale.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 06:05:33 PM »
You must be like a green spotted tiger on campus.

Worse.

Engineering prof.

sfg

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 06:44:21 PM »
We used to call the engineering building at UNL "No-Babe Hall"  :laugh:
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 07:46:25 PM »
Ya we give the engineering majors a hard time with the lack of females they get to work with. Too much math for me to ever consider that career path, barely got by in algebra and barely getting by in calc now.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 08:58:45 AM by bradkoll »

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 08:14:36 AM »
I was just thinkin' ;  Why not hire someone, like, oh say, Me as your 'hired gun' to protect you from the baddies while fishin'. I'll even bring my own bait and tackle!

No 'catch' (pun intended) (other than you gotta clean all our fish :) )
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane