< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Target shooting closed in Teal WMA  (Read 3491 times)

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Target shooting closed in Teal WMA
« on: May 02, 2012, 03:40:50 PM »
im not sure where to post this, but the NE Game and Park announced they have closed the Teal WMA in Lancaster county to all target shooting effective immediately.

Saw this on their facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/notes/nebraska-game-and-parks-commission/teal-wma-closed-to-target-shooting/10150806650512298
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
Re: Target shooting closed in Teal WMA
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 04:25:56 PM »
For those that can't/won't go to Facebook:

LINCOLN, Neb. – Teal Wildlife Management Area (WMA) in Lancaster County is closed to target shooting, effective immediately, because of safety concerns, according to the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission.

“With the area being relatively small and the proximity of neighboring buildings, the area really has no safe place to shoot,” said Pat Molini, Game and Parks’ southeast district wildlife manager.

Consult the current Nebraska Hunting Guide for a list of WMAs closed to target shooting. “Target shooters on WMAs should choose safe areas to shoot, with adequate backstops,” Molini said. “Be aware of your target and what’s beyond it, and please leave nothing but your tracks.”

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 08:14:58 AM »
Once I get a little nap in me, I'll send the boys an email. See where we are at with the sight in ranges.  I will report back.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline dougusafsp

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 08:39:23 AM »
Slowly they are shutting WMA's down for target shooting. Free shooting is becoming scarce.
U.S. Air Force Security Police 1987-1994

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 01:18:51 PM »
Doug, we are currently working with the G&P on getting actual Site-In ranges includes berms, benches, etc installed on applicable WMAs. (along with other styles of ranges) but like any other project of a government agency, it will take time to develop and execute.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 02:48:58 PM »
I dont know anything about the TEAL WMA, can someone ballpark the size of it for us?  If G&P is right and its just to small maybe we can offer our membership the opportunity to assist them in doing what is necessary to make the changes needed. 

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 04:23:54 PM »
Looks like it might be about 80 acres with a farm and house to the north:

Offline sidearm1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 06:09:02 PM »

A couple of comments please.  First, if we could get the idiots to stop throwing trash, empty shell casings, beer cans, and stop shooting the signs, then maybe we can reverse the trend.

Second comment.  Now that Game and Parks have their new really neat up to date shooting range open at the Platte River State Park, where for "just a small range fee" anyone can go shoot (heck they will even provide some of the smaller weapons for you) why would they let you shoot for free at a WMA.

Again, they will simply point out to the first paragraph and say, see that is what is happening throughout the state.  They may even say, look at the one near Palmyra where the one drunk shot the other drunk.  Lets make them pay us for the privilege.

Just my rant and point of view

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 04:21:53 PM »
Fees are the only way to clean out the riff raff, riff raff and free go together.  30yrs ago when I shot as a kid by the ponds east of Ft. Calhoun, NE it was the same old appliances and trash everywhere, not sure how many times it got cleaned up, not sure if shooting is even allowed there any more.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 05:02:07 PM »
I've got to admit, I had no idea you could shoot at WMAs. You just pick a tree, nail a target to it and go at it or what? I can't imagine there's much to stop a bullet at some of these places (i.e. berms, hills, etc). Who's shot at one of these and how did you set it up?

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 06:26:20 PM »
People who don't clean up after themselves really are the worst.  :angry:

Offline Chris C

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 07:03:42 PM »
Second comment.  Now that Game and Parks have their new really neat up to date shooting range open at the Platte River State Park, where for "just a small range fee" anyone can go shoot (heck they will even provide some of the smaller weapons for you) why would they let you shoot for free at a WMA.

Isn't that only a 50 yard range? 

Offline omaharj

• social catalyst
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 08:03:52 PM »
   I called about the Platte River State Park deal and if I recall it was very expensive,like $1/shot from a .22 (based on 20 shots). Their .22. It seemed set up for visiting campers to experience the thrill of shooting a real gun! :laugh:  If someone has exact figures and additional facts, I would appreciate it.
   I believe there is pressure from the metro areas to minimize opportunities for firearm owners nearest the cities. I can't think of any state organization that Omaha and Lincoln doesn't have their fat fingers in.  I could see Ashford saying the opportunity to shoot is available as close as Platte River, but ,in reality, unuseable to hunters.
   I was hoping the NFOA could "sponser" a few WMA places that allowed target shooting. I had sent a message to Jeremy that I was available for a weekend day,once a month for one nearby. I thought that was possibly a part of the NFOA involvement from Ghost and Jeremy efforts. As far as David Hineline's idea to make it fee based, that would be the end IMHO. The way Ne. likes to hike up fees and generate income,it may be cheaper to join a couple gun clubs.
   I would like a push for improvements to existing locations and an awareness by NFOA members that we need to report illegal behavior at these WMAs. We could possibly make signs saying " Help keep this area clean. The NFOA " That's if G&P okays it. If the miscreants (a nice word for Asshats) know an area has a caretaker,they would be less likely to trash things. If it is common knowledge NFOA members may be around and will report destructive behavior,it may be minimized.  RJ

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 09:10:27 PM »
I'm not trying to be rude here, but if anyone was keeping up to date on our work with the G&P, you would all know that actual "sight-in areas" are in the works at the moment.   As well as more facilities like the Platte River Outdoor Heritage Park and community-bases ranges such as the one in the works at Boosalis Park in Lincoln.  The G&P IS NOT out to rape everyone of their hard earned dollar. There are many things to consider. One being VOLUNTEERS to run/ manage the places. Paid staff brings up the operating costs, thus the higher fees!  And as we have found out in our own little organization, VOLUNTEERS are hard to find and retain.
Has any of the naysayers being to the Heritage Park?  I for one have.  My daughter, along with 10+ other ladies, took a hunter safety course there.  It is one awesome place.  It is better set-up, cleaner, more organized than any private range I have ever been to.  (they have also recently allowed visitors to bring their own equipment- see my post on that elsewhere in this forum)   Yes it is geared toward the newcomers, but newcomers become shooters, hunters, self defenders, voters, members of grassroots gun rights organizations!!  Example: They are having Beyond BOW courses all summer, geared toward women who want to learn shotgunning, pistol, rifle, blackpowder, and archery.  Show me your local "range" that is active in all that for a minimal fee.  Unfortunately, most private ranges cater to the good ol boys club (albiet, many are starting to change that).  Not everyone is looking for that.   
I had talked to some of the G&P folks about listing the events here, but with all the flaming, it may be best I not, so as to keep the good partnership standing we have with them at the moment.  Ghost and I have spent many hours at the Game and Parks headquarters in meetings with some of the most active shooters and hunters in the state.  They want want we all want, a place to shoot that is safe for everyone, and most importantly, recruit new and retain shooters/hunters.  But this all takes time, money, and volunteers to donate both!
Yes it is unfortunate they had to shut down targeting at another WMA, but they have their reasons. Ghost is in communications currently to learn of those reasons, how we can help, and where we are at on projects.  The idea of 'sponsoring'  target areas at WMAs really isn't feasible because there are not any real 'target areas' at WMAs. Now one sight'in ranges begin being built, we will be their first call for help in maintaining these areas.  We will update in the member's area when we hear back.

I guess what I'm sayin' is let's stop complaining about every step back and ask what can we do to help to keep moving foward!

Offline omaharj

• social catalyst
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 06:36:55 AM »
   Jeremy, Did my post come across as anti-G&P? I certainly didn't mean it to.  I think Ghost and your efforts will do a lot for the NFOA and the people of Nebraska. RJ

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 07:09:16 PM »
80 acres with nearby human habitation?  Sorry, IMO far to small for open shooting.  Way to much risk.  As said earlier in the thread, free equals knuckleheads, and knuckleheads equals danger when mixed with guns. 

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline Burnsy87

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2012, 11:13:27 AM »
Any word on when the Hamburg Bend WMA will be open to us again?

Offline Chris C

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2012, 05:27:09 PM »
Any word on when the Hamburg Bend WMA will be open to us again?

I called Game and Parks Friday and was informed it was still closed for construction and they didn’t know when it would be reopened.  The man did say there will be a press release on their site once it is open again.   

Offline Burnsy87

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2012, 01:52:49 PM »
I called Game and Parks Friday and was informed it was still closed for construction and they didn’t know when it would be reopened.  The man did say there will be a press release on their site once it is open again.   

Okay, thank you.

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2012, 02:56:31 PM »
Is there a map of WMAs that allow recreational shooting? If someone has all the information, I could put it on a google map easily enough. I'd say it would be a good resource to put on the NFOA site, it should include gun club and private ranges with contact info and prices.