< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Attacked by a dog?  (Read 4920 times)

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
Re: Attacked by a dog?
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2012, 12:51:47 PM »
I've heard that thos loud blow horn things work will to, the kind attached to a compressed air can.  Now who is going to carry that?  Maybe my grandma.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2012, 10:12:45 PM »
One of the local radio station personalities posted earlier about see a jogger running with a snake around his neck.  Now maybe there is an option there?...
The question is;  just how big a boy are ya?   :P
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2012, 06:29:03 AM »
I know!  I'll run with a backpack full of cats, and if I get chased by a dog I'll just start dropping cats behind me to distract it.  Kind of like flares for a heat seeking missile.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2012, 08:38:00 AM »
SEE There.  You come to this forum with a problem/ question and sooner or later we will come up with a plan.  Tell ya what, I'll take it one further and go to the pound for ya and pick up some real tasty looking ones for ya..
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2012, 02:53:20 PM »
I don't have an answer to your question, but I will point out that some bully breeds may not be deterred by pepper spray.   And I'm glad you are ok.

Please cite a source supporting the assertion that some bully breeds won't be deterred by pepper spray that would deter other breeds.

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2012, 02:59:41 PM »
The use of DEADLY force is justified when one is under the immediate and otherwise unavoidable threat of death or grave bodily harm to ones self or other innocents......  that includes the four legged variety, too.

Certainly there is no question that you have the right to use deadly force as it is necessary to avoid death or grievous bodily harm, but the bar isn't high for use of force (deadly or otherwise) against domestic animals.

I would venture to say that where you shoot a dog because you are reasonably in fear of an injury that would require medical treatment you would likely avoid criminal or civil liability. 

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2012, 03:00:44 PM »
I'm curious about the legal specifics in this instance too. My opinion is if a dog attacks you in a public place it deserves to be shot.

So long as "attack" really means "attack," and not "barked and growled at me," I agree.

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2012, 03:21:59 PM »
Interesting topic, personally, I care about people, not animals. I would shoot 100 dogs in the face if it meant saving one crack addict with aids.

It is really the same guidelines for lethal force in general:

-Ability
Is it a little rat dog that shows no signs of rabies? Is is a giant rottweiler?

-Intent
Is it running at you, growling? Is it running away or just standing there?

-Opportunity
Are you inside a vehicle? Is the animal on a leash?

Just some things to think about. It is an interesting topic to run some mental scenarios on.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 03:24:22 PM by wallace11bravo »

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2012, 03:31:55 PM »
I have read articles dating back to the 1800's about "baiting the bull" in England.   The things that were done to the dog were horrible, and yet the dog was still determined to do what the owner told them.  I figure if they can repeatedly have appendages cut off and still focus on the fight, a bit of pepper spray would not be a deterrent for dog that is determined.

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2012, 08:59:32 PM »
I have had a number of experiences with aggressive dogs while working as an exterminator years ago and on the Fire Dept now. Most times they have run away when confronted or have been small enough that they could be grabbed and put somewhere safe.

I have only had to really hurt a dog one time. I had a large, what appeared to be a golden retriever mix, go after my 20lb boston terrier, who was leashed in my yard at the time. When a couple of push kicks didnt work a solid soccer kick in the ribs convinced it to leave.

I have seen a number of dogs shot on warrant services. All were pitbulls doing as they had been trained to do. For example, on one memorable warrant, upon entry the lead officer was confronted by a large pitbull. As it charged he shot it twice with 5.56 breaking its spine. It continued to try and bite the officer coming towards him using only its forelegs. He transitioned to pistol to put it out of its misery and as he went to shoot it in the head it bit the muzzle of his gun as he fired. Now it was still trying to bite him with half of its jaw gone. A shot through the top of the head finally killed it.

Come across a dog like that, good luck with the pepper spray.

- Shawn
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2012, 09:01:07 AM »
Mas Ayoob wrote a book some 20 years ago titled "The Truth about Self Protection".  There is an EXCELLENT section on dogs.

Offline LM4202

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2012, 10:27:03 AM »
An unleashed large, dangerous animal making a move to attack you and cause you serious bodily injury or even death?  Definitely a good shoot.