< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: MWTS Training AAR  (Read 837 times)

Offline stutzcattle

• NFOA Full Member
MWTS Training AAR
« on: May 04, 2012, 09:15:44 PM »
About two weeks ago I and a friend of mine took MWTS' carbine class.  I can't recommend him highly enough.  He's experienced and professional.  Easy to work with and very knowlegable.

We started the day with a basic overview of the AR platform.  It's nice to every once in a while go over the function and functionality of these rifles.  I think that too many of us have become complacent with the rifle and I know I enjoyed going through the mechanics for a few minutes.

We then spent awhile zeroeing and working on basic fundamentals.  John does a great job of evaluating your basic shooting techniques and offering suggestions on how you might improve your shooting.  We shot from prone, kneeling and standing out to 300 yards. 

After we were all comfortable with our shooting at those distances we went through some basic close quarters marksmanship.  You know....The fun stuff.  We focused on weapon retention, grip and control of the weapon.  This led naturally into Target aquisition, reloads and malfunction drills. 

Finished with that John demonstrated and trained us in alternate firing positions, transition to secondary, moving to cover and support side shooting. 

All of it went very smoothly and was safe and enjoyable.  Safety was ever present in each training evolution and John seems to have a knack for making safety primary in everyone's mind.  Never was there a time when I thought safety was an issue.

I can't recommend training with him highly enough.  I'm relatively experienced with my rifle and felt like I got a lot out of the day.  My buddy that went with me has only had his rifle for a couple months and he couldn't have been happier at the end of the day.  He finally is getting an understanding of the potential he and his rifle possess. 

If you ever get the opportunity to shoot with John or train with him you won't regret the day.  I know I'll take every opportunity to train with him and sharpen my skills.  We got a lot of training and a ton of methods to take home and drill ourselves. 

Thanks for the great day of shooting John.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 09:17:58 PM by stutzcattle »

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
Re: MWTS Training AAR
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 03:47:56 PM »
Thanks for the review, Jim. I look forward to the next time we can get together!