< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: What goes around.....  (Read 1454 times)

Offline Policista

• Forum Member
What goes around.....
« on: May 10, 2012, 03:13:16 PM »
This is the current situation occurring in the same department where the chief recommended termination for
an officer who was within 40 days of retiring, after allegedly misusing one hour of sick leave to conduct a state
firearms certification test. When you live in a glass house.......

Bellevue police chief put on leave
http://www.omaha.com/article/20120502/NEWS01/120509935

Probe of Bellevue police chief under way
http://www.omaha.com/article/20120503/NEWS01/705039844

Stacey barred from Bellevue property
http://www.omaha.com/article/20120504/NEWS01/705049907

Job perks for Gretna manager unrivaled
http://www.omaha.com/article/20120506/NEWS01/705069937

Lawry's, Stacey's overlapping trips under fire
http://www.omaha.com/article/20120507/NEWS01/705089940

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Re: What goes around.....
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 03:35:19 PM »
Ya know I had read about the overlapping trips with the Gretna administrator, but hadn't put the name and face together with that firing incident. It will be interesting to see where this all goes.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 05:16:06 PM »
Apparently the police found a handgun in Lawry's home and she has never had a purchase permit.  The gun was originally purchased by a Bellevue Police Officer and the warrant was based on information that Stacey had given a different gun to Lawry.

http://www.ketv.com/news/local-news/Investigators-search-for-handgun-at-Lawry-s-home/-/9674510/13062090/-/11fmfpi/-/index.html

Is it a crime to transfer a gun to someone without a purchase permit?

Offline Policista

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 07:16:06 PM »
Unless they're looking at it as a straw purchase? Or perhaps it's being investigated to see if the handgun Stacey gave Lawry had been seized as evidence by BPD and instead of being destroyed after adjudication or converted to department use, it found it's way into her possession?

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 07:50:21 PM »
Stacy is a real slick one.

Will be interesting in deed to see how this all washes.
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 11:00:05 PM »
Excerpt from WOWT 10P report.....

"According to the affidavit, it all started with a tip from someone reporting Stacey gave Lawry a handgun. It was a Kel Tec, caliber .38 and it was registered to a sworn Bellevue Police Officer back in 2007.

But when authorities searched Lawry’s home they found a different gun, a black Taurus Revolver, currently not registered to anyone. "

Went looking for one on search warrent...  didn't find that one but found a different gun.  Investigation continues...
( I kinda suspect the Kel-Tec is a .380, not a .38 ::)

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 06:38:20 AM »
Does Bellevue or Gretna have a registration system?  I am only aware of Omaha's and Lincoln's systems.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 10:05:15 AM »
Bellevue does have a voluntary registration, but it is completely voluntary so most people do not.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 11:41:03 PM »
When I read the paper this AM, there was something in there about the lack of a registration was a misdemeanor of some sort, IIRC ...... since when is it a crime to not have a gun registered?  Do we have gun registration in Nebraska (other than Omaha's shenanigans?)?
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 07:18:13 AM »
The misdemeanor would be acquiring a handgun without a purchase permit.  I don't believe registration plays into it.

Offline Policista

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2012, 06:45:23 PM »
The misdemeanor would be acquiring a handgun without a purchase permit.  I don't believe registration plays into it.

69-2403. Sale, lease, rental, and transfer; certificate required; exceptions.
(1) Except as provided in this section and section 69-2409, a person shall not purchase, lease, rent, or receive transfer of a handgun until he or she has obtained a certificate in accordance with section 69-2404. Except as provided in this section and section 69-2409, a person shall not sell, lease, rent, or transfer a handgun to a person who has not obtained a certificate.
(2) The certificate shall not be required if:
(a) The person acquiring the handgun is a licensed firearms dealer under federal law;
(b) The handgun is an antique handgun;
(c) The person acquiring the handgun is authorized to do so on behalf of a law enforcement agency;
(d) The transfer is a temporary transfer of a handgun and the transferee remains (i) in the line of sight of the transferor or (ii) within the premises of an established shooting facility;
(e) The transfer is between a person and his or her spouse, sibling, parent, child, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, or grandparent;
(f) The person acquiring the handgun is a holder of a valid permit under the Concealed Handgun Permit Act; or
(g) The person acquiring the handgun is a peace officer as defined in section 69-2429.

Source
Laws 1991, LB 355, § 2;
Laws 2010, LB817, §

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 03:21:49 PM »
Looks like both are being charged for violating the purchase certificate law.

It's a good reminder for anyone who sells a handgun to a private party that you should ask to see a current purchase certificate and ID.

Offline jimburnetto

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 10:33:54 AM »
Ah, glad you guys were talking about this.  I was reading
http://www.omaha.com/article/20120518/NEWS97/705189901#stacey-lawyer-gun-charge-unprecedented
And saw the line "Lawry had no certificate to possess a handgun, Polikov said, and Stacey knew it".   Couldn't figure out what they were talking about.   Didn't realize that the handgun purchase certificate would ever apply to loaning a gun out.

Offline stroked93

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 05:16:27 PM »
seems like a witch hunt to me.  If Stacey is convicted will he not then be prohibited from Owning a handgun? or carrying for work.